1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros should re-sign Morgan Ensberg

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Aceshigh7, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Ensberg isn't doing anything at all these days. I cannot stand watching Geoff Blum & Jeff Keppinger anymore. These guys do not belong in any major league starting lineup. They are simply atrocious.

Ensberg frustrated me so much while he was here. He was a pure guess hitter and sometimes watching his at bats and the way he would dive out of the way of perfect strikes down the middle was absolutely painful to watch, but he could also go on very hot stretches.

Sign Ensberg for the minimum, he would definitely give us more punch than Blum/Keppinger. I am sick to death of watching those two scrubs.

2. Hmm

Hmm Member

and Creed should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame......

3. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

Aces, I agree there is nothing worse than watching Blum waste at bats. I believe that Keppinger has held his own. At this point however, it is asking too much for him to be a regular contributor. Keppinger's most value would be as a depth guy on a contending team.

As for Morgan Ensberg, I sure hope you are being sarcastic. Ever since being DFA by the Astros, he has not been able to make a 25 man roster, let alone a 40 man roster. I know, he tried and tried, and I finally think he retired. I may be wrong, and he may be in AAA somewhere, but I would doubt it.

We all would love to have the 2005 Morgan Ensberg. He finished 4th in the MVP race that year. After that he was off to a great start in April of 2006. In a May game at MMP against the Braves, he dove for a foul ball and injured his shoulder. He was subsequently placed on the DL. When he came back, he was never same. Eventually, he ended up being DFA in 2007.

What should be done is to allow Chris Johnson the opportunity. He certaintly cant do any worse than what Blum gives you.

4. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

You must have forgotten how bad it was watching Ensberg at the plate. Watching the ball go straight down the middle for a called strike, when he was the No. 5 hitter was more aggravating than watching Blum and Keppinger.

5. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Blum hit game-winners in b2b games a couple of weeks ago. Both of our 3rd basemen are showing good patience at the plate, walking as much as they're striking out and both have league average OBPs. Keppinger's numbers should improve now that Blum is back and he won't have to face as many RHPs.

I expected a little more power out of Blum but he's doing OK and is fielding his position well. Sure, we're undertalented at 3rd but Morgan Ensberg isn't the answer. Unfortunately, Chris Johnson isn't looking so good at RR, either. He's not hitting for power and has 39 SOs to only 3 BBs.

6. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

What a worthless troll.

At least I got 3 good, well thought out, on topic responses in addition to your garbage. Thanks guys.

7. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Well this wasn't exactly a well thought out thread.

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Morgan Ensberg went to the plate looking to draw a walk. That's how pathetic he was and was an explanation for the amount of times he was caught looking at the plate.

9. Hmm

Hmm Member

you'll be all right, Aces.. keep aiming high....

which is pretty much on par.. for mister Aceshigh7...

10. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Exactly.

The first thing that I thought when I read this thread was "hasn't Blum been instrumental in several wins this season?" "Hasn't Keppinger been surprisingly good?"

We all knew that our 3B platoon wasn't going to set the world on fire, but they have come through in the clutch a number of times.

Morgan Ensberg? Really? Why don't we see what Orlando Miller is doing these days while we are at it? Even better, why don't we see if we can get Jason Lane to replace Carlos Lee?

11. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Ensberg was released by the Rays this past spring, before which he was hitting .227. Previous season he hit .203 for the Yankees and .189 for Cleveland's AAA team.

Keppinger and Blum are hitting a combined .264 with 29 RBIs.

I think I'll take our current tandem...no point in sticking a band aid on top of a band aid.

12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I couldn't stand how he always changed his stance.

13. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

He signed a minor league contract with the Rays but was released at the end of spring training. He hit .227 in ST after hitting .203 with the Yankees last year.

14. TheBigAristotle

Bagwell would never sit for this either.

15. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Those guys all suck.

16. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Pretty how sad Morgan just couldn't get it together after 2 very good seasons. You could tell he tried hard all the time to get back to where he was but just unfortunately, he never could put it back together.

17. Hmm

Hmm Member

I remember that between inning's piece on him and Adam Everett... on what it was like to be thought of as the possible next "Bagwell/Biggio" tandem.. and how optimistic and near enthusiastic Morgan seemed through it..

18. HTR99

HTR99 Member

That tandem was truly special and incredible, I doubt we'll see their replacement anytime soon. Berkman/Pence are good but one or the other prefer to go hitless in different games at times.

19. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Ensberg isn't doing anything because he is a terrible baseball player who can no longer hit the ball. Totally worthless

But i do agree that Blum is tough to watch and Kep shouldn't be playing full time.

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

bourn/pence