1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Red (brick) Jersey's

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by bottlerocket, Jul 31, 2004.

1. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

I would like to see the 'Stros wear their red jersey's more often.
    The look so much better than the pinstripes or the solid white uni's with the huge star on it.

What happen to their solid black jersey?

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Think they only one time a week, as in Only on Sundays. The Red Jerseys are Sunday Jerseys.

The plain white ones are day game jerseys.

3. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

The red uniforms are for Sunday home games.

Also I would like the Astros to switch the logo from the "star" to a classic and classy looking "H". The star is lame and in no way signifies Houston.

4. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Um, you haven't noticed how a lot of the Texas teams incorporate a star into their logo?

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Several players complained about the black jerseys in 2000, because since they'd only wear them on Sundays, and sunday games are always day games, they'd be dieing of heat-exahustion in those things.

The following year, they debuted the Red jerseys at a game in STL that I attended. The funny thing is, since everybody in the stadium was wearing red, and the Astros were wearing red, many a casual fan was confused as to who the home team was.

I like the 'Stros jerseys... its a classy look, that hopefully they'll actually decide to keep for a good 10-20 years (instead of their change uniforms every 4 years plan).

The star is also fine... its a simple logo that's very recognizable, and very unique. Once again... if they keep that logo around for awhile, it will become synonymous

6. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

That's great. I get it. A star - Texas, who cares. Does every team in Texas have to be similar? Do they have to have a star incorported in their logo or as their logo? The Astros star is lame, and personally I would much rather have the "H", such as the one on the jersey, as the logo. Nearly every team in baseball has the letters of the city as their logo. Now tell me, how again does the star signify the city of Houston?

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That's great. I get it. Letters of the city as their logo - who cares. Does every team in baseball have to be similar? Do they have to have the letters of the city incorporated in their logo or as their logo?...

You may want to check your post for contradictions just one more time gunner....

8. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

That's great that you tried to turn that around on me, and all, but I think you missed the point Nicky. How again does the Astros' star signify the city of Houston?

9. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I remember back when my family and I were vacationing in Canun, we were walking on the streets. This one guy, who I think was trying to sell some stuff, came up and saw my dad wearing an Astros hat. (blue and goldish kind, back during the Astrodome) He then said, "Dallas Cowboys, number one!" Kind of made us laugh, but we are Cowboys fans as well, so I can't imagine what would have happen if it happen to someone else.

10. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

And to answer your question, no, but they should. There is nothing about that star that represents Houston. Hypothetically, they could move the team to Austin and be the Austin Astros and that star could remain the same and have no relevance whatsoever to Houston. It's unique in the fact that nearly no team in baseball has a logo other than their city's letter(s), but that's not neccessarily a good thing.

11. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Hmm, let's see: Star, Texas - Texas, Houston - Houston, Space Program - Space Program, Astronauts - Astronauts, Astros - Astros, Star.

Yeah, you've got a point :rolleyes: (4 more and you'd be a STAR :D)

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, the name Astro, and the star, signifies the space program which is based in Houston...

One could actually make a case that Houston's teams logos do more to represent the qualities of the city rather than just those teams that have only letters. (which was your original intention, correct?)

What can one really tell about St. Louis from a cursive STL, or Pittsburgh from a P?!? I love the traditional teams, and I love how they'll never change their uniforms... but the Astros don't need to be a newer team pretending to be an older/traditional one, even though they had the 'H' for all those years.

What do the A's have to do with Oakland? What does a bird have to do with Baltimore? What do Indians have to do with Cleveland?

Now that I've actually had to think about it... the Astros are one of the only teams in the majors to NOT have just a generic nick name, and actually have one that resemebles a facet of the city.

That, IMO, is more than enough representation.

13. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

A newer team? They've been around for nearly 50 years. We're not talking about the Marlins or the Rockies here. What can one really tell about the letters? How about what city they are in.

[​IMG]

To me, when I look at that, I don't think "Houston". It looks just like what it is: a logo of a star on a hat.

[​IMG]

Now if that "H", in Houston, were the logo, I think one would instantly attribute it to the city Houston. Plus it's much nicer looking than a re-hashed version of the early to mid 90's star.

Edit: finally

#13 gunn, Aug 1, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2004
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Who cares?

Can you tell what city the Orioles are in by that bird? What city the Cowboys play in by that star? Or what city SOX is referring to on the chicago hat?

Logos are invariably associated with a city only out of longevitiy and tradition... not by the letters on a cap.

You go overseas with an "STL" cap or a Phillies "P" cap, and they don't have a clue where you're from. But, you go there with a Yankees N.Y., and they know for sure... not because of the letters, but because the logo is familiar, well-exposed, and been around forever.

OR, better yet, you could walk around in a Mets hat, and they'll still think you're wearing a Yankees hat... because its basically the same freakin letters/logo... and nobody elsewhere knows anything other than Yankees.

Trust me... an 'H' isn't going to make this team any more recognizeable to the general public... lets just be happy that our logo is still classy, and isn't some goofy looking astronaut holding a baseball bat.

#14 Nick, Aug 1, 2004
  15. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

I care. I think the logo should signify the city of Houston directly. I don't know why you are trying to argue with me or convince me otherwise. Anyway, how do you know that an "H" would not make the team more recognizable? You don't. That's nothing more than a blanket statement.

#15 gunn, Aug 1, 2004
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

no... its simply based on the fact that the Astros aren't that popular of a pro sports team across the country, and until this year hadn't recieved the national attention that they should have throughout the 90's.

And its that tradition of winning/popularity/national exposure that gets your logo noticed and recognized... NOT LETTERS.

Nobody has any trouble with the Cowboys logo?... why?... because they (used to) win. Likewise currently with the Texans logo... because they're new.

Go overseas to china next year and show them the 'R' rockets logo... they'll know what city you're from. Show them your 'H' on your retro Astros hat, they'll think the H stands for happy...

"Are you happy?"

(btw... I totally understand your point... I just thought this was a fun topic... also, I am thankful that they at least have HOUSTON in big letters across their jersey... neither the Rockets nor Texans can make that claim).

17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I hate the lettering on the jerseys and I freaking HATE the pinstripes. Astros don't wear freaking pinstripes. It's like they're trying to be someone else with the 'classic' lettering and pinstripes. Go back to the rainbow- that's Astro.

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i like the star logo.

19. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

Did you just completely miss the post about stars = Astronauts = Houston Space Program? Gee, if only the name of the cities MLB team, NBA team, and WNBA team all didn't reference one of the more distintive features of the city...

I think the star signifies the city much more than the letter H would.

20. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

No. Did you notice the use of the word "directly"? Directly, meaning an "H", not some logo that is tied to the city in a round about way. How does a star signify the city more than a "H", which would "directly" indicate Houston, you know, the city the team represents?