1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros re-acquire Justin Verlander

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Aug 1, 2023.

?

Do you like the trade?

This poll will close on Aug 1, 2025 at 2:05 PM.
  1. YES

84.8%
  2. NO

15.2%
  1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I didn't get a chance to post at the time, but I think this extends Houston's window as well as going for it this year/

Justin gets paid, but not by Houston for the most part. Regardless of future signings, the cap space makes signing more likely AND we have JV.

I'm not optimistic Tucker extends though until the owners stop paying these exorbitant FA salaries on long term contracts. They just don't pay off for the most part, but they keep trying to keep up with the Joneses.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

JV was great, but there are several things that made a 1 or 3 game difference this year and JV was but one of them.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

JV was definitely one of them. Not including what he just did to save the season, he saved the pitching rotation from being even worse than it was becoming, had they not trade for JV

Yordan The Great and jim1961 like this.
  5. Yordan The Great

The ultimate professional.

Thank you for saving our season.

6. Yordan The Great

I'm sorry, but that's a trash response.

Give the man his respect, or just don't say anything.

His last 2 starts this season will be remembered for a long long time if something amazing happens this post season.

Javier and Framber's last starts. Not so good.

TheMystery008 likes this.
  7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I did give him his respect. I said he was great!
    I meant exactly that!

The trash response is yours sir for miss-reading the post.

#487 jim1961, Oct 1, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2023
  8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Has been pretty mediocre since we got him prior to the last 2 games, but even a mediocre pitcher was quite a bit better than most of the alternatives we've been throwing out there. Crane forced the issue getting Verlander at the deadline, no way this pitching staff holds up to get us in otherwise, it barely held on with him.

Absolutely delivered in the 2 games we most needed him to.

9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I was a big fan of both the Abreu Trade and the JV trade. Still am. But I can see where both slow starts here disappointed some. I was more diesturbed by participation in the WSC because of our short off season.