1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros re-acquire Justin Verlander

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Aug 1, 2023.

?

Do you like the trade?

This poll will close on Aug 1, 2025 at 2:05 PM.
  1. YES

84.8%
  2. NO

15.2%
  1. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Arguably is the key word. I’m no expert but according to ESPN Gilbert was ranked ahead of Acuna and Clifford just behind.

Nook likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Depends on which media expert list you go by, but most people around baseball I have talked to see Acuna as a better prospect than Gilbert and usually they aren’t acting like it is a toss up.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

Meh - they gave up a 25 year old catcher with contact and walk issues that has a cannon for an arm but isn’t really good at the more technical parts of catching. He was ticketed to being a back up long term in Houston.

Drew Gilbert is a good prospect but loses a lot of value if he isn’t a long term centerfielder. At his size he doesn’t generate a lot of homers, he isn’t a very good base stealer either. He is an Adam Eaton type player. He can be solid - but isn’t likely to be much more than that.

Ryan Clifford is someone I personally like, I think his approach is very good. However he has to show he can consistently make contact at the higher levels. He is also ticketed for 1st base. The position is one of the least valuable ones. The Indians got a superior prospect for Aaron Civale, which shows the positional value.

As for the Astros - they can use all the system help they can get, but they have other promising outfield candidates. Not to mention that Tucker, Alvarez and McCormick all are under team control for multiple years.

The Astros really need to develop star players, they don’t struggle developing good MLB players.

IBTL, jim1961, RustyHarden and 9 others like this.
  4. jayfree

jayfree Member

Our fanbase is so spoiled with all the studs that have developed in our system that we tend to dismiss those that turn into average players with perhaps bouts of potential at best.

Pena and Meyers are prime examples of that.

It's a good problem to have but I sincerely hope that we all enjoy the era that we're in as this crazy run doesn't come by that often (unless you're the Yankees then it does every 20 years or so). I believe the Yankees could've had a run in the late 2010s but the Astros killed any chance of that happening.

jim1961 and rockbox like this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

6. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Thank you for posting in the right thread @marks0223

8. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Trader Jorge faints. "Houston was his preference but he never actually vetoed any other teams."

HENCE - Mets still had some leverage.

raining threes and IBTL like this.
  9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I know everyone was happy that Chas was serviceable and better than Straw, but he's playing like a star this year and a MVP candidate over the last 2 months. 920 OPS would put him 7th in the league while playing plus defense in centerfield.

#469 rockbox, Aug 3, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2023
    AkeemTheDreem86 and Snake Diggit like this.
  10. Kphorns14

Kphorns14 Member

Or he said he’ll only accept Houston, so they didn’t come to him about any other teams… technically means he didn’t veto actual being dealt to certain teams.

raining threes likes this.
  11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Verlander didn't have to veto, he just said I will only go to Houston.

raining threes likes this.
  12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

From the first one

13. HeyBudLetsParty

Is it me or does the team actually noticeably feel different with JVs presence? Having the greatest pitcher of his generation in the locker room makes the team look more confident and professional.

raining threes, IBTL, jim1961 and 4 others like this.
  14. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

I agree. At first I thought they were locked in because it’s one of the bigger road trips of the year. And that very well could be it. But they do seem to have this, “we remember who we are now.” sense about them.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. Radricky

Radricky Member

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I understand what the NY Post was trying to do… but seeing the Mets record where it is, it had the opposite impact on their fans (“wait, he’s saying we could be better at analytics… and the team is god-awful… and yet we’re getting mad at him?”)

19. jayfree

jayfree Member

Can you imagine a company meeting:

"Hi everyone. We're going to have to do some layoffs today because of a certain someone here that's over-performing and making all of us look bad. We were perfectly fine running our business with inadequate sales, but since these new possible ways of being better have come to light, many have refused to adhere to this new adage. Therefor we are getting rid of said person so we can go back to our mediocre business as usual."

Marshall Bryant and jim1961 like this.