1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros pushed for Andy/Pettite and Clemens were "frustrated with Astros team culture"

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Oski2005, Dec 5, 2007.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm thinking it's a lot easier to spend $300 million of someone else's money than if it was your own! :D

2. msn

msn Member

If you believe this the rest of your life, it is likely you will never have one million dollars, much less one billion.

If you had 10 C-notes ($1000), and I took three of them, would you be pissed? 30% is 30%, and it is substantial no matter how many zeroes there are at the end of the figures.

Quoted for truth.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

According to published reports, although Pettitte opted out of his contract, there is an agreement that he will get the exact same money as if he had not opted out if he chooses to sign with the Yankees.

4. Major

Major Member

What if he plans to give a chunk of that to charity? Should he throw $30MM a year into the Astros for no reason when that could go to more beneficial causes?

What makes you think adding money would make this franchise substantially more successful? It's arguably already the 4th most consistently successful franchise over the past 10-12 years behind Boston, NY, and Atlanta (maybe add the Cards in there). There are plenty of teams that spend money and don't win any more than they did when they weren't spending.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

By the way...Andy's account is that God told him to go to New York. His words. If that's true, then far be it for Drayton to interfere with God's will.

6. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

It's not like Drayton's networth is 1.2 billion just sitting in a bank account, the majority of it is $800 million in shares of Wal-Mart he owns

Guess where the other 400 million of his projected net worth is coming from.:rolleyes:

7. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

How did Pettitte and Clemens know that the Astros weren't 100% committed to winning?

They expressed interest in signing Pettitte and Clemens.

8. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

and do what?

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

God told me to make fun of Andy's asschin.

10. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

I love how when anyone says anything about Drayton not spending enough money all the homers come out to lynch that person.

11. yobod

yobod Member

Exactly! I'm sick and tired of hearing the argument that Drayton doesn't spend enough. The man spends plenty. If anything, I would buy an argument that he spends in the WRONG spots, but that's about it. The Astros recent failure has nothing to do with not spending enough (he spent $120M on TWO players this offseason); it has everything to do with the fact that we have no farm system, and no depth. If Pettitte and Clemens want to use the fact that the Astros "don't have a winning culture" as an excuse for their money-grubbing, then that's more a knock on their own character than anything Drayton could have done. If anything, Drayton has brought winning baseball to a mid-market team, which in this economy, is really, really hard to do. There have been few teams in our market size that have been as consistent as the Astros over the last 15 years.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

LOL, yeah I was thinking the same thing. I knew that's how the thread would be before I even opened it.

Not sure who is right, but it seems like Pettitte/Clemens agree with the anti-Drayton side.

13. Major

Major Member

I love when people come and whine about our owner treating his team like a business like every other owner in the league. I also love when people come in and say someone else should run a business inefficiently and lose money so they can personally be entertained.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Except we dont know exactly how much he is making or losing. We dont really know if he's running it like a business or being cheap.

15. Major

Major Member

We do know his payroll numbers, attendance and market size. Compared to other owners, he's running it pretty similarly.

16. msn

msn Member

Who's lynching Aces? A bunch of posters jumped on his inaccurate commentary. The only ad hominem in this entire thread, so far, has been yours.

The ridiculous notion that the Astros don't spend money has been shot down by solid facts over and over and over and freaking over again ad nauseum. If a bunch of people jump all over such drivel, I'm sorry if that offends your sensibilities.

Five stars.

17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Continuing to start Biggio at 2nd and lead him off every game so he can get 3000 hits is not being 100 percent committed to winning.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yet Clemens has no problem taking money from him with his personal services contract.

19. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

In essence, you're saying that all the owners in the league are equally committed to winning? And if you know how much money Drayton is clearing why don't you let me know.

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I think "not 100% committed to winning" actually translates into "not willing to pay me what I want them to pay me."

:rolleyes: