1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros @ Padres

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I've all but thrown in the towel on this season. These guys on our squad can talk a good game but they cannot play a good game with any consistency. I don't care how many stars we have on our team. Their playing uninspired baseball and they flat out stink on a lot of nights. I don't know what happened to that team that started out with so much promise but their all but gone.

It's going to take a hell of a lot more than talking a good game in interviews to get us into the playoffs. I just don't see it happening. The second half would have to be really strong for us.

I would say the winning the division is out of the question now. And, I believe getting in as a wildcard is going to take a strong second half with a lot of luck. I just don't see it happening.

Our offense just flat out stinks to high heaven. And, worse, our pitching is not getting the job done. Our bullpen is the worst bullpen that I can remember the Astros having. The only pitchers who I have any faith in at the moment are Clemens, Oswalt(who has been suspect at times), and Lidge. Pettitte is in spring training mode due to injuries. The rest of these guys...you don't know what their going to pitch like until their in the game and you see what you have. It could be good...it could be bad. :confused: It certainly won't be consistent.

I will still watch the games in the hopes that they do somehow make it but this team has no chance in my opinion. I am so pissed off at our ballclub that this is all they have given us so far...an average record with an underperforming, overpaid cast. All that talk about World Series and this is our best chance. Yeah...right...

We are a joke and I'm tired of the excuses or lack thereof.

Yes, and if we do somehow manage to pull off a miracle and squeek into the playoffs...then all you can retrieve this thread and rub my face in it all you like. I think we should make major changes to the squad after this season is over and get some younger players in here...i.e. start the re-building cause this squad isn't going anywhere as is. I would be very surprised if Roger came back and Bagwell should seriously think about hanging it up along with Kent. Maybe we can re-sign Beltran with those two guys gone but he probably will want to play for a team with a winning chance which probably won't be us for a while to come. I would be very surprised if we see this same ballclub come back next season to attempt another run.

We stink!

2. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

All of this losing is getting me worried...here we are, trading away a prospect and Dotel to rent Beltran, and it doesn't work...We need pitching and hitting, but with only one being addressed, we're toast...

Now I'm starting to believe the folks at ESPN and trade Beltran while we can...

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

We need a 14-0 blowout of someone. A game that we score in every inning, not just 5 runs in one inning. Something like what the Rangers did to us on Sunday. I don't know if it will turn the season around, but it can't hurt. At worst, confidence comes back, pressure is taken off of the bullpen and the starter, and us fans quit bashing the team for a day.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

We were about a foot away from turning the season around last night. Had that Bagwell bomb cleared the fences, I think that could've done it.

I'm forever the optimist, but I think tonight's the night we turn it around. They had an extra long closed door meeting where Kent apparently had some words for the guys.

5. Surfguy

Can I get a transcript from that team meeting? LOL.

6. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd give it to you but the filter would make it all *'s

7. red

red Contributing Member

2-0 good guys...go viz...

the turning point of the season has officially begun...

8. Surfguy

Can we have a team meeting every night?

Vizcaino 2 run homerun in the first!

9. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Viz hits a 2 run shot into the Petco Porch

2-0 astros!

10. Surfguy

Just to be clear...that's 2 - 0 Astros.

Yep...1st man single....2nd man homerun.

The big two - zero.

Yep. Two - zip.

Two.

11. red

red Contributing Member

surf...so you're saying...two to nothing in the astros favor?

12. Surfguy

I can't believe it either. :eek: :D

13. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

astros bat around in the 1st inning after having Jeff Kent light into their ass yesterday. Bagwell's swing looked great last night and even though he's only had 1 at bat tonight, his swing is looking much better. Lets keep the pressure on Peavy

14. hjg877

hjg877 Member

OH MY GOD!!! THIS TEAM HAS A LEAD!!!

They're going to the World Series now!!!

15. PhiSlammaJamma

I'm just happy I can watch sportscenter again. Finally, a damn win

16. Buck Turgidson

Dammit Jimy!!! Why in the world would you start Viz at second last night? VIZ SUX!!! He shouldn't even be on the team! You've got to play the young guys, Burke is the future. Let them play!

Fire Jimy!

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

LOL,

He has been playing Viz for most of the games that Kent is out.

Buck....Jimy is not necessarily to blame, but the team needs a shakeup.

Heck, look at Hidalgo...he leaves and he goes off....why didn't he do that in Houston? You have to think something was keeping him from succeeding.

I think Jimy undermines players confidence...especially pitchers.

Just my .02.

DD

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Can't really complain about Viz last night.

19. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Yeah, amazing, and the only time this seems to happen now is when Roy-O is pitching. At least him winning his last 4 starts shows something is going right. This team has gotta stop underachieving....I get so much crap for there subpar play everyday...

20. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Good win...after reading the talk, I hope this is the turning point...All things considered, we're only 9 back, 3 back of the 2nd place Cubs...