1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Astros] New Beltran Information 11-30

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by leroy, Nov 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

glad to hear that...i thought i was the only one

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I know... tell me about it. I long for the insiders in this forum that we have in the Rockets one. By this time, during last summer, we already knew of 8 different inside sources on the T-Mac deal, each one contributing a new interesting tidbit of info each day to tide us over.

I don't expect anything to start happening (at least with the Astros) till after new years. I think right now, Boras is focusing on the Yankees... trying to get them to commit as much as they can. Then after Jan. 1st, when there's only a week left for us to re-sign him and the pressure is all on us, he'll come back to us with the Yankees "offer" (he could of course lie, and have us bid against ourselves), and thus he'll end up getting the biggest offer of all from us (which is good for Beltran, since all sources say that he prefers playing here, and in the NL).

That's how I see the game being played right now... and the only way it "hurts" us is if we end up going crazy at the last second and we end up bidding against ourselves. Right now, the Yankees are ready to offer 6-7 at 15 million a year, and they're probably not going much higher than that.

If the Astros match the NY final offer (as long as its not 18 million + for more than 7 years), Boras will be happy... and he'll finally do what his CLIENT WANTS. (what a concept!)

3. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

My source came back today, and I've got some semi-bad news. Assuming the money situation was equal (i.e. each team made the same offer), here is Beltran's choice list:

1) Cubs
    2) Astros

I've heard zero about the Yankees or Angels. Therefore, Houston HAS to offer more money than Chicago to have a chance, as Houston is NOT Beltran's first choice.

... And, oh, BTW, not that anyone cares, but as of yesterday, I now work exclusively on baseball products. No more football for me.

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

ARGH! :mad: He better not go to the Cubbies!

I too find myself checking this forum hoping someone has new info. I am coming in here very often, and when I leave saturday you guys are my source of info.

5. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

The Cubs are stcuk unless they move Sosa, they just resigned Nomar and Walker so it's not like they have an extra 15-20 mill to throw Beltran's way.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Chicago can't/won't do anything until they move Sosa. Right now, its looking like they're finding a lot of interest in him... but interest is one thing; getting Chicago to agree to pay $30 million of his contract is another.

I don't see them being able to do anything any time soon... especially not by Janury 8th... meaning Beltran may not want to risk gambiling on eventually getting an offer from them.

Who knows... hell, with the way Beltran hit at Wrigley this year, I'm not suprised Chicago would be an attractive option for him.

7. Uprising

No kidding, he was insane there. That first series against the Cubs when we got beltran. Damn he was on fire.

Would the Astros actually get rid of the hill in MMP if Beltran asked for it to be removed? Like if he requested it in his contract?

8. NJRocket

Any word on whether or not any of the Astros players have contacted Carlos and pitched him on staying in Houston? Sometimes, these conversations between players go a long way.

9. NJRocket

It would be a major DOUBLE WHAMMY if he goes to the Cubs...I think we should start looking into potential pitching targets because the longer this thing drags out, the less chance we have. I think we need to put some offers out there and let Carlos and Boras see that we are willing to give his money to someone else...hell, offer some cash to Drew and let Boras deal with the headache of having two clients fight over 1st come 1st served money.

10. VesceySux

Just to be clear, I've posted all I know. Sorry. Also, when asked, my source said no other players that he knows of were linked to the Astros... except Beltran.

11. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Thanks for the info.
    Any bit that keeps me quessing and waiting 4 more is ok w/ me :)

12. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Vescey Sux --

Just out of curiosity, is this the same source that was right about Pettite/Clemens (can't remember which one it was that you knew about ahead of time)?

13. VesceySux

wrath_of_khan: Yes, this is the same guy who had inside knowledge about Clemens, the Beltran trade, and, to a lesser extent, the T-Mac trade.

14. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Well as long as the Cubbies still have Sosa there isnt much they can do...hopfullly....

15. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Thanks Vescey and congrats on the promotion - at least I'd take that as a promotion.

{Now get them to add more old HOF relic/auto stuff to the boxes. I love the ancient stuff. I also like the baseball/entertainer line like American Pie - just got a Marilyn Monroe for my bday present - suhweet. Those 2001 Legendary Cuts and 2001/02 American Pie boxes seem to hold there value and collectors interest.}

I don't know who will take Sammy off there hands. I'm not even sure the Yanks want him.

16. VesceySux

Nah. Just a lateral move. I now get to spend my time adding Bonds to every product. Oh joy. (I can't believe you bought American Pie... SUCKER! :) )

17. Uprising

Wonder if we are going to see this in a Justice column tomorow. :p

18. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I want to become an inside info guy (baseball and basketball only). How can I do that and where can I start from? :)

PS. Vecseysux, Beltran will not be a Cubby. You can take that to the Bank. It is strictly between our 'Stros and Angels. He will announce his choice soon more likely after January 2nd but could be sooner. Yankees will be going for Andruw jones while the Cubbies will live with Patterson. Just a premonition.

19. VesceySux

From ESPN Insider today:

Dec. 15 - The question isn't if the Cubs will trade Sosa, but when. According to the Chicago Sun-Times, sources say the Cubs are making their biggest push yet to deal Sosa – whose status is handcuffing the team in making other moves – and they hope to complete a trade in a week to 10 days.

The Mets appear to have dropped out of the running for Sosa, but about five other teams have inquired. While the Cubs won't pay his entire salary to jettison him, they will have to pay more than the original $5 million or so they thought it would take. In the process, the Cubs also will have to take someone else's unwanted baggage and shell out about $10 million, league sources estimate.

Sosa is due to earn $17 million next year with a team option for 2006 at $18 million or a $4.5 million buyout. However, a trade would trigger the 2006 option and add a 2007 option for $19 million with another $4.5 million buyout. Sosa and his agent want to void the trigger clause to help facilitate a trade.

Yeah, well, Insider still has Beltran deciding between the Astros and Yankees...

20. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Andruw Jones to NY - Brown to Atlanta and Beltran (Carlos) remains a Stro.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.