1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Astros] New Beltran Information 11-30

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by leroy, Nov 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

New Beltran/Astros news

Sorry, Castor. I didnt' want this to get lost in the long Beltran thread. Plus there is more info on other Astros doings.

Astros set to pitch $13.5 million a year for coveted free agent

Nov. 30, 2004, 12:00PM

Angels may be top of Beltran's list, but Anaheim's apparently not interested
    Astros set to pitch $13.5 million a year for coveted free agent

By RICHARD JUSTICE
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

WAITING for Carlos ...

The Astros have been told that the Carlos Beltran sweepstakes are "yours to lose."

Agent Scott Boras may have told other teams similar things, but the words have impact nevertheless. Now about a timetable.

There doesn't appear to be one.

Teams may be invited to submits bid when baseball's winter meetings begin this weekend, but there's no timetable for a decision by Beltran on where he'll play next season.

If he really wants the 10-year, $200-million deal that has been thrown around by baseball officials, he's in for a long wait.

Based on conversations with club officials, the Astros appear ready to offer a six- or seven-year deal worth around $13.5 million per season.

New York newspapers have reported that the Yankees will offer $13 million a year. The Cubs will also be serious players, but the Angels, who are believed to be Beltran's first choice, may not be interested.

Until Beltran gives the Astros an answer, every other significant move is on hold.

Here are some of the other Astros comings and goings:

A trade for Tampa Bay center fielder Jose Cruz, Jr., has been discussed. He's a Houston native and the son of Astros legend Jose Cruz. He had 21 home runs and 78 RBIs last season and could fill in for Lance Berkman or play center if Beltran signed elsewhere.

Considered making a one-year offer to free-agent center fielder Steve Finley. He wants two years.

Refused to give Jeff Kent the second year he's seeking. With Chris Burke on the threshold of the big leagues, the Astros probably won't offer Kent more than a one-year deal. The Cubs and Tigers may have interest.

• Received encouraging reports about righthander Wade Miller's shoulder. Team doctors won't know for sure until Miller gets on a mound in spring training, but recent tests show his pain has decreased significantly.

If Miller is healthy and Roger Clemens decides to pitch another season, they'd join Andy Pettitte, Roy Oswalt and Brandon Backe to give the Astros potentially an outstanding rotation.

Discussed making an offer to Houston native Woody Williams. He's a free agent after winning 11 games for the Cardinals last season. He's 38 years old, but keep himself in top physical shape. He's one of the real good guys in the game.

Team officials are less optimistic that lefthander Carlos Hernandez will ever have the same velocity he had before undergoing rotator-cuff surgery almost two years ago.

• Righthander Taylor Buccholz, one of the organizations top prospects, recently underwent a surgical cleanup procedure on his right shoulder. No significant damage was found, and Buccholz should be ready for the start of spring training.

• Possibly signing former Angels setup man Ben Weber to a minor league contract. He was one of the American League's best relievers between 2001 and 2003, but pitched just 18 games last season because of carpal tunnel syndrome. He was a key member of the bullpen that helped the Angels win the 2002 World Series. He's also a Houston native. If Weber is healthy, he could help filling those innings between the starter and closer Brad Lidge.

• No decision has been made on where to play Craig Biggio in 2005. Depending on what others do, he may be asked to be a super utility man at second base and in the outfield.

• Added former Astros outfielder Glen Barker to the scouting staff.

• Considering adding former Astros pitching coach Burt Hooton and former Astros hitting coach Harry Spillman to Jackie Moore's staff at Triple-A Round Rock.

• Possibly hiring former Mets and Astros coach Matt Galante as a minor league instructor.

Garner had his eye on big deal

Astros manager Phil Garner wanted to be one of baseball's highest-paid managers. He originally sought a three-year deal worth $2 million a season. Only a handful of managers -- Joe Torre, Bobby Cox, Dusty Baker and Tony La Russa -- make that kind of money. All of them have accomplished far more than Garner, but humility has never been one of Garner's strengths. Garner settled for a two-year deal that will pay him $1.2 million in 2005 and $1.3 million in 2006. The Astros have a $1.5-million option for 2007.

Astros GM sets tone for his tenure

New Astros general manager Tim Purpura began his tenure with a sweet touch. Shortly after being hired, he gathered the team's business and baseball staff and discussed the importance of team work. He said he wanted them to know he believed in "we" more than "I."

He wanted the business staff to understand more about the baseball staff and said he would call other meetings as various minor leaguers staffers came through Houston.

On that day, though, he offered a tribute to Dewey Robinson, the club's longtime roving minor league pitching instructor who was in the office.

Purpura told the staff that Robinson's early work with Roy Oswalt, Brad Lidge, Wade Miller and others played a key role in helping the Astros get to Game 7 of the NLCS.

He reminded them that Robinson was like a lot of people who do critical work but are never recognized. He wanted them all to know he understand that every one of them did important work.

Robinson was given a touching standing ovation.

Purpura couldn't have made a more favorable impression if he'd offered raises and a three-day work week

Some interesting new information. Seems like they have been holding back and let it go all at once. It's good to know they aren't sitting on their collective thumbs waiting for an answer on Carlos. At least they might have a contigency plan or two in place. Thought the Glen Barker news was kind of weird.

2. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Sign Beltran for $13.5 mil for 7yrs

Trade Wade Miller for Jose Cruz Jr.

Move Biggio back to 2nd forget Kent, so Biggio only plays 1 more yr.

Sign Woody Williams and get Clemens back.

Pitching: Oswalts - Clemens - Pettittis - Williams - Backe

Hitting: Jose Cruz Jr-Beltran-Bagwell-Berkman-Biggio-Ensberg-Asumus- Everett

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm obsessed with this whole thing, frankly. I'm obsessed with baseball, and I freaking love Beltran. News comes out like this, and I'm drooling.

I miss baseball.

4. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

The biggest surprise for me is that the NY Yankees are rumored to only be offering $13M per. Wow! And the Angels are not interested? What is going here? Is this some sort of joke or trick to catch us napping?

$13.5M for me will be a major coup with folks like Jiambi Jason, Manny, A-rod, Vlad etc making much more than that.

5. MadMax

last season the big contracts went to Vlad and Pujols...players Beltran should be flattered to be included among. they both got $14 million per season. this is not out of line at all. a very, very fair offer.

6. Buck Turgidson

But Max, Scott Boras said that he's going to get $200M over 10 years, and Scott Boras would never, ever tell a lie.

7. MadMax

of course not...he's a liar..i mean a lawyer! :)

8. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Please, please, please make this happen. The day I moved back home from Dallas was the day that Jeff Kent signed with the Stros. I move back to Dallas this weekend, maybe the stars will align in a weird way and something big will happen this weekend for the Astros!! :D

p.s. I'm gonna miss Houston! :(

9. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

D I T T O ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

10. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

The only bad thing I see coming is that Kent is going to end up on the Cubs....and he will come back to haunt us if that happens.....but if we get Beltran, I'll deal.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

13.5 mil for 6/7 year is quite fair, depending on how much is deferred. I'm glad Drayton is willing to pay so much. Beltran looks to be a pretty safe bet 27. His last 2 years might be overpaid if he loses some speed(ala Bernie Williams contract recently), but that's the price you have to pay for top FAs.

I must admit I like all the moves the Astros are considering, except maybe Woody Williams. If he comes, I hope our defense up the middle is comprised of Everett, Burke, and Beltran. Because he will let hitters put balls in play. And if Kent and Biggio are handling 2nd an CF, things can get pretty ugly.

12. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I love this!!!!

Having a guy like Beltran with his speed and power is a necessity when playing 81 games a year in the Maid. Last year was so stressful because it felt like it really was their last chance for awhile, but uncle Drayton might be making everything right!

13. MadMax

i can not see Jeff Kent wanting to go play with those guys in Chicago. seriously...line up every player in MLB and Kent is the last one i'd say would want to go sign with the Cubs.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Man, that's a lot of good information in one article.

Beltran would be sweet.

I would like to see Burke as the leadoff hitter, but that would depend on him hitting the ball at the major league level. I drool over the possibility of Everett, Burke, and Beltran up the middle with the starting pitching the Astros could have next year. There just wouldn't be many balls hit up the middle that these three couldn't get to.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

God, no!!!!

16. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Hopefully he's just an advisor on what not to do.

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm with you on the up-the-middle defense. That was a major problem with Biggio in center and Kent at 2nd, IMO. Balls that should have stayed in the infield became singles which became uncontested runs with a man on 2nd because of Biggio's arm. I've seen plenty of Chris Burke (while he was in Round Rock) and I think he will be the next coming of Biggio. Once he gets his feet wet in the majors, he should be a very good player for years to come. It possibly could be the second coming of the Lofton, Vizquel, Alomar up-the-middle combination for the Indians in the mid 90's, defensively, that is. Our version would have more power (Beltran alone has more power than all 3) and more combined speed on the bases.

I was feeling mostly pessimistic about Beltran cmoing back until I read this article. The only thing about the article that bothers me is that Richard Justice wrote it.

18. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

That was my first reaction too :D

I've felt all along the astros had the best if not one of the best chances of keeping him. The Yankees aren't about to give him 20 million a year and no other teams are biting on it either. An offer of 13.5 million is a very fair offer considering no free agent since the new CBA agreement has gotten over 14 million.

19. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I don't really think Cheo Jr. would be an upgrade over Lane in the outfield, and Biggio is still a pretty good hitter. I guess he'd be a PR/marketing move more than anything.

20. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Dude you are so reading my mind. I can't wait till next season. This offseason has me captivated. I can't go many days with out hearing about the Astros. Last year was so exciting. I can't wait till the next.

Go Stros! Sign Carlos!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.