1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Magic Number countdown

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DaDakota, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Nope. Wildcard teams don't have homefield advantage in league play. Only time they will have homefield is if the Indians (AL wild card winner) makes the world series since the american league won the All Star game. Division winners get the home field.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Even if Indians make the WS, we wont have home field, due to the fact that the AL won the AllStar game.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Still, I would take that...

:)

4. Major

Major Member

I think he was saying the only way any wildcard team would get it this year was Cleveland making the WS - they would get homefield in the WS. The NL wildcard winner can't get it.

5. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Yep thats what I was saying. Only if the Indians or whomever wins the AL wildcard makes it.

6. rezdawg

Okay, my bad. Yes, you're right.

7. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

Yes, but that number would only remain accurate if Philly holds off Florida, or the number will no longer hold true.

8. Fatty FatBastard

Your magic number is always accurate. If the Marlins pass the Phillies, our magic number is in relation to them.

Your magic number is always constant. It's always a combination of your wins + 2nd place team losses.

9. rezdawg

Phillies just scored 5 runs in the 9th to take the lead by 1. Dammit David Weathers!!!! :mad:

10. Fatty FatBastard

Magic # remains eight today. With eight games left. Damn.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

How many times can Philadelphia score a gazillion runs in the 9th inning to win? Take away tonight and the game against Florida, we should have a 3 game lead against both them and Florida.

12. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

yeah... i agree

philly is pissing me off :mad: :mad:

13. Major

Major Member

How many times can we beat Billy Wagner? If not for those two very rare chokes, we "should" be down a game instead of up a game.

14. DaDakota

I believe our bullpen choked to give up the lead, that Wagner could not protect.

It is gonna be tight, and the Phillies seem to have a lot of momentum...we need a Phillies loss...My heart requires a 2 game cushion.

:)

15. Major

Major Member

Yes, but that's not unusual for our bullpen :D

I agree that it's going to be close, and 2 game cushion is much more comfortable than 1. I also wish we'd clinch a few days early so we can get our rotation straight. I hate making the playoffs and then having to start off with a scrub pitcher or get in a situation where its not our best vs. their best, especially in a 5 game series. I want Pettite pitching Game 1 of the NLDS.

16. Major

Major Member

Oh - for what its worth, I don't think momentum (at least from a single game) means too much. Remember out phenomenal win vs. St Louis where they blew 3 saves? We lost the next two.

17. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

18. DaDakota

Fair enough, but the Phillies have been winning lately in dramatic fashion, and that seems to carry over into the next game.

And with Clemens not pitching today against Zambrano, I think we are tied after today.

DD

19. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

20. DaDakota

6 is the Magic number....David Weathers gets em out in the 9th....Reds beat Phillies 3-2....

DD