1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros interested in Steve Sparks

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by BALLhog 247 365, Jul 21, 2003.

1. BALLhog 247 365

Jul. 21 - The Detroit Free Press reports the Astros have inquired about trading for the Detroit knuckleballer. Sparks will be a free agent after the season and is unlikely to remain in Detroit. Houston manager Jimy Williams has experience with knuckleball pitchers, having managed Tim Wakefield in Boston. Sparks is 0-4 with a 3.71 ERA out of the bullpen this season, but two seasons ago he went 14-9 with a 3.65 ERA as a starter.

This guy has been inconsistent throughout his career, having a winning season one year and a losing one the other.

He has a career record of 56-67 with a 4.70 era

2. PhiSlammaJamma

I'd just rather not do this. I'd like to target Jason Johnson.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Seems odd. They have Jared Fernandez at AAA and his numbers (although not spectacular) are pretty decent. With the number of starters they have already used, I am surprised he hasn't been brought up for a spot start. I was assuming that they didn't want Ausmus to have to deal with a knuckleballer in the middle of the season.

4. BALLhog 247 365

" ...but even if a deal can't be worked out, chances are the knuckleballer will be in Houston next season anyway. Sparks' contract expires after this season, and with the Tigers going with young pitchers, he knows it's highly doubtful he'll return."

5. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I'm sure that the Braves are scared senseless.

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In related news, the Astros have interest in Vladimir Guerrero because the organization is experienced in power armed right fielders who also provide offense. Richard Hidalgo enjoyed a mammoth 2000 season in this role, so an acquisition of Guerrero would be a logical step. Look for Billy Wagner to become a starter as well, as Houston manager Jimy Williams' former Red Sox successful converted Derek Lowe from closer to front line starter after his departure.

The ERA isn't bad (Comerica is very pitcher friendly, though) but you have to wonder- what kind of pitcher can't make the Tigers' rotation? No way does he take anyone's spot in our rotation. He's a step up from Munro IMO, but he definitely doesn't get the ball over the big 3 in the pen, nor Stone, nor even Saarloos IMO.

What happened to the green light to splurge a little to get a decent pitcher? :(

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would say that, odds are, even with the green light to increase money for another starter, Gerry still hasn't found a deal for a decent starter that he feels is fair. We all know he is pretty shrewd with his trades, and right now it is a sellers' market as far as SP goes. I'd hate to see us give up someone like Ensberg or Lane for a middle of the road pitcher.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Isn't a knuckleballer a bad idea in Enron field? I thought they gave up a lot of fly balls.

9. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

If the knuckler is knucklin' then you'll get a lot of strikeouts, harmless ground balls and weak fly balls that don't carry.

that's the great thing about knuckleball pitchers - you can tell three pitches into a game what kind of day they'll have. Of course, if he's going to have a bad day, one of those pitches will probably end up 450ft away as somebody's souvenir.

10. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

i dunno how aquiring this guy is going to prevent bagwell and biggio from whiffing in the playoffs...

jp.

Anything to take the load off of dotel, wagner and lidge would be nice...

11. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

the playoffs,

Berkman
    Bagwell
    Kent
    Hidalgo
    Ensberg

whoever plays the astros will not only have to deal with lidge, dotel and wagner but those guys.

12. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

I thought Steve Sparks was a DJ for 104 KRBE.....

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sparks is getting hammered in relief tonight against Boston worse than Redding got hammered by Pittsburgh.

Then again, the Red Sox are a much better team than the Pirates.

14. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Too bad Ponson keeps getting better, making our chances of getting him harder and harder.

15. kevwun

kevwun Member

The Orioles made a contract offer to Ponson on Sunday. It looks like they don't want to trade him. He rejected the initial offer, but said he wants to stay in Baltimore.

#15 kevwun, Jul 23, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2003
  16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

sweet....i've always wanted a knuckleballer on the 'stros!! lets get him for the circus aspect of it all.

17. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

We have Jared Fernandez in the minors. I think that's his name. He stomped us last year but got crushed by every other team in the majors.