1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Interested in JT Realmuto

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mikol13, Feb 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I good with this - I'm Thinking Whitley will get some playing time in the bigs in 2019

3. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

JT Realmuto is a Huge Need, Starting Pitchers can really Respect, Realmuto will not shaken off on his play calls.
    Verlander, Cole will Respect a All Star Catcher in Realmuto, especially late in the Season, Late in Games, Critical Pitches being Thrown late in Games, Realmuto blocking Pitches in the Dirt, Throwing Out Runners, Pitch Signal, Signals given to the defense. Can make a Huge Impact in the Postseason.

4. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Let’s do it. Trade Tucker for Realmuto. I’m all for win-now mode and worry about rebuild/semi-reload when that time come.

HTown2017Champs and IowaAstro like this.
  5. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Springer
    Bregman
    Altuve
    Brantley
    Correa
    Realmuto

Would be six bats that could all earn all-star spots + Reddick, Gurriel & Diaz/Chirinos could be another 50-60 homeruns

6. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

CF George Springer
    2B Jose Altuve
    3B Alex Bregman
    LF Michael Brantley
    DH Nelson Cruz
    SS Carlos Correa
    C JT Realmuto
    1B Yuli Gurriel
    RF Josh Reddick

Bench
    2B/LF Tony Kemp
    CF Jake Marisnick
    C Robinson Chirinos

The 3rd, 4th, 5th Spots in the Lineup especially has so much Responsibility in Having High Contact, Power, Hitting the Ball the other way, to Drive in Runs.

AznH-TownFan and vince like this.
  7. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Don’t forget Diaz

8. vince

vince Member

I’d hate for the Astros to part with Kyle Tucker, but with Verlander and Cole inked up for just one more season, this might be a true one year window to get this done.

Realmuto is still young, either 26 or 27 who is a proven all-star. But he becomes a free agent in 2 seasons.

I’m glad it’s Luhnow making the call and not me! However this would be an exciting addition and would keep the the Astros among the top 3 teams.

9. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I forgot to add a Catcher needs to Study Scouting Reports against Hitters, which Pitch to throw, Memorize in English.
    Jeff Luhnow and the Front Office handing Scouting Reports to Brian McCann, Brian of course did a Great Job.
    JT Realmuto I think has those qualities.

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

If you trade Tucker (etc.) for Realmuto, you need to realize that Verlander, Cole, Springer, Reddick, Brantley & now Realmuto will all come up in the next two years. *That's* why some of us are bullish on dealing Tucker and/or Whitley (+ other top-ish prospects).

And it's not just because we hope Tucker will be able to slot in as a 3-4+ WAR player (thought we obviously do) - he's also *dirt cheap* for the next six years (well, four until he reaches arbitration eligibility). So if you want to entertain any notion of a) resigning any of those guys (and you likely can't sign *all* of them); and/or b) signing other guys..... you *have* to sprinkle in cheap, productive players.

This is the delicate balance of present/future. Sure, it's easy right now to advocate for a TRADE IT ALL approach - but that bill will come due and I guarantee you, many of the TRADE IT ALL crowd now will be among the loudest spewers of angry vitriol when the team is crumbling around Altuve, Bregman & Correa because most fans suck donkey balls.

I'm all for the Astros finding a way to land Realmuto; but more than that, I'm all for them holding steadfast to their formula/valuation and not impatiently overpaying. And right now, Kyle Tucker feels like an overpay for Realmuto.

vince, msn and CrushCity like this.
  11. Hey Now!

The Astros won 103 games with Max Stassi & Martin Maldonado handling the bulk of the catching duties last year. Explain how Realmuto addresses a huge need?

vince and texans1095 like this.
  12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Your punctuation and capitalization leaves a lot to be desired.

msn, texans1095 and Htown Stros like this.
  13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Guys, it's not going to be just Tucker for Realmuto. One trade proposal I saw on MLB Network was Tucker AND Josh James.

Thoughts?

To me that is a no. We are already thin at starting pitching.

14. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

My thoughts would be to laugh and tell them no thank you. Call back when you're sober. There aren't 15 teams lining up for him any longer. If they want to get any return back they are going to have to cut down on their demands or risk losing him for worse packages the closer he comes to Free Agency, unless someone wants to overpay at the trade deadline. I'm just not doing that deal in December.

Nook likes this.
  15. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I believe James is looked more as a reliever long term. Electric fastball, but average to below average secondary pitches.

16. Screaming Fist

It's hard to see this trade coming to pass. If you really want an elite catcher just go sign Grandal and be done with it.

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Semantics. Regardless of whether you classify it as a “need” upgrading from Stassi to Realmuto improves the roster in a significant way. The Astros won the World Series with Mike Fiers leading the team in IP. So I guess that means we can deal Cole and Verlander for prospects.

18. Hey Now!

It's not semantics nor is that an intellectually honest comparison, and you know it. There are..... 2, maybe 3 elite catchers in all of baseball? 4? The Red Sox just won 108 games and a WS with two catchers posting sub-.600 OPSs.

Sure, Realmuto is an upgrade; unquestionably. But is upgrading the catcher position a *need*? I'd label it a luxury. If Robinson Chirinos is the everyday catcher... they're probably still going to win... 95+ games.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

For me, I would require Miami to include a good lotto prospect with Realmuto, especially if they expect to get Tucker plus a meaningful prospect. Something like:

Astros get:
    C JT Realmuto
    OF Brayan Hernandez

Marlins get:
    OF Kyle Tucker
    C Max Stassi
    3B Abraham Toro

Unfortunately I do think if the deal goes down it will probably be Tucker plus one good prospect (JBB, Cionel, Beer, Nova, Martin) and an interesting throw-in. Which is still in the range of fair but obviously hurts Houston more. If Houston gives up Tucker AND another elite prospect (Whitley, Alvarez, James), they’re getting robbed and it could be another Carlos Gomez trade.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The Gomez trade was only bad because Gomez sucked, if Realmuto sucks it will be a bad trade regardless of what we give up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.