1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros in 7.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by swyyyguy, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Here's the thing about that: that's only true until it isn't. If we can get to Severino (much like the Twins did), he's VERY hittable. The difference was that the Twins didn't have Verlander going in their elimination game. MMP better be absolutely BONKERS tomorrow night. We need to get in these mother****ers' heads the way they got into ours. Also, I would not be opposed if Todd Frazier took a foul ball off the knee cap. Please and thank you.

2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

We'll know soon enough. I really hope we're not looking at those kinds of players. McGrady could never get out of the first round. Harden has a history of underperforming or quitting in the playoffs. Bagwell and Biggio could never lead the Astros anywhere(2004 & 2005 don't count as their teammates stepped up big-time).

You wanna give them the benefit of the doubt since they are 2 wins away from the World Series. We're not talking Bagwell and Biggio flaming out in the NLDS in 1997, 1998, 1999, and 2001(that 3-game sweep was pathetic). They did beat a very good Red Sox team and won a couple of nailbiters at home vs the Yankees.

3. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

And Biggio and Bagwell's playoffs stats were atrocious for hall of famers.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Makes me wonder about all the folks hooting rooting for the Yankees in their game 5 against the Indians. Folks in Hooters were so happy when the Yankees won. Some even ordered shots....karma is cruel.

DudeWah and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  5. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

My posts at the time were saying its a bad idea to root for playoff opponents.

I said i prefer homefield but other than that, either team would be tough

swyyyguy and DudeWah like this.
  6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I just bought World Series tickets so obviously this is happening.

MadMax, Houstunna and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

It seems like after game 2 and the success against the Red Sox, everyone was talking about how clutch Altuve and Correa are and how this isn’t your 90’s Astros. It seems to me that 3 additional games is a bit short of a sample size to take a complete turn away from that. Judge was the worst player in the baseball playoffs until 3 days ago. Maybe it’s pressure, maybe it’s a cold streak, don’t know. But not going to give up on these guys any time soon.

8. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Idk where this misrepresentation of reality comes from on this site...

McGrady did really well in the playoffs. He was elite.

Even in elimination games...

Game 7 in 2005 he had like 27/7/7

Game 7 in 2007 he had 29/13/5 or something
    https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200705050HOU.html

Game 6 in 2008 he had 40/5/10
    https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200805020UTA.html

Not sure how he “went ghost” in any of those games. Those Rockets teams were just heavily imbalanced. If we had Morey (starting in 05, not 07) back then we would have won a championship. There’s not a doubt in my mind.

Harden on the other hand has disappeared in the playoffs every single year.

napalm06, htownrox1 and BigM like this.
  9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Doesn't matter -- Indians would beat us too ;)

I bet Rockets fans - you included - were happy getting the 2 seed in 2015.

Difference is: one team took advantage, the other didn't.

Karma is invalid.

#49 Houstunna, Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  10. solid

solid Contributing Member

I am not optimistic, the Astros are frozen; I don't think I have ever seen a team this cold. Every Yankee pitcher looks like Roger Clemons and the Astro batters look like Pee Wee Herman. I hope the cold temperatures played a part and they will warm up in Houston, but New York looks like a runaway locomotive. Game, set, match.

Marteen and DudeWah like this.
  11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Sounds good to me OP!

swyyyguy and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  12. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I'm in. I've watched every inning and haven't given up yet. This is still ours to win.

13. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

McGrady disappeared plenty in key moments during those postseasons. Go back and look at Game 6 vs Utah in 2007(skip ahead to around 1:35:00):

The Rockets were up 3-2 and within a basket in the 4th quarter with the Jazz all but begging to be eliminated. And what does T-Mac do? Settle for bad jumpers, throw up weak layup attempts, and turn the ball over.

Those are the games I look back on with frustration, not the elimination games. T-Mac never had a killer instinct. That's why so many of his teams blew big leads in series.

As for Harden, he has a lot to answer for after he quit in Game 6(and OT of Game 5). But he at the very least has led a team to a first round playoff series win in 2015 and especially 2017 when he was terrific vs OKC(aside from Game 4).

14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I give Harden mad props for carrying us in the first three games of the 2015 WCF against GSW. It was one on four and he was coming through in spades until he just emptied his tank on that last second fast break when curry picked his pocket in game 3. That to me was the height of Harden’s carrying capacity.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One game at a time.. LETS GO STROS!

DuBose and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  16. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

FIFY

17. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Exactly. McGrady consistently elevated his game in the playoffs unlike Harden. Thanks for fact checking this guy and providing receipts.

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Alright dammit, I've been watching this team for 24 years. I watched this whole damn thing be torn apart to the point where we fielded a AAA team. At that point even being competitive felt like a pipe dream. Yet slowly the whole thing came together.

That took 7 f**king years, I'll be damned if I'm gonna let 2 f**king games feel like too much. What good title run didn't have some adversity.

mikol13, DuBose, BigM and 1 other person like this.
  19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Why are you doing this?? In THIS thread?? At THIS time?? We're in enough pain already.....stop reminding us of all the shitty Houston sports moments we've had.

BigM likes this.
  20. DuBose

DuBose Member

Germans??