1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros fire pitching coach

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by desihooper, Jun 14, 2011.

1. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Richard Justice

2. hoopstar

hoopstar Member

excerpt from the article in spring training others mentioned:

"I was listening to Arny and Burt Hooton the other day and I swear to God I left there going, 'Am I stupid?' '' Brocail said. "I left there feeling like an idiot. When those two guys talk pitching, it's like sitting down and listening to Ted Williams and Tony Gwynn talk hitting.''

hahah great...

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Maybe we can get him some assistants like we're doing for McHale.

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

A couple of thoughts:

Hope Crane fires Drayton's "baseball" people.

Brocail didn't know Arnsberg's name lol. He paused then said Arnsberger in reference to the previous pitching coach. Nice dude nice.

5. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I mean, explain what you know about Brocail's ability as a coach and I'll give you some credibility with that statement.. only thing we can go on with these coaches is the results and what we hear via other coaches/GM/players/etc. And based on that, I don't think we have info on Brocail as a coach yet

6. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Has Brocail ever been a pitching coach before?

Anywhere?????

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I guess a 15-year major league career is meaningless?

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He did have a successful 15 year career by doing what he was hired to coach (and only on an interim basis at that). Didn't hear complaining when Bagwell was our hitting coach. Had he ever been a hitting coach?

9. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Arnsberg did an excellent job and brocail will be lucky to make it throgh the year.

He developed young talent successfully - norris / melancon
    He kept sandy on track
    His so called failures were veterans decreasing to the mean after solid to stellar previous years.

His attitude was probably poor, but when trying to make chicken soup out of chicken hit, forgive the chef a few curse words.

I hope this doesn't hurt bud's development. He is at a critical stage. Same with melancon.

10. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I wish Ed Wade and Tal Smith would go. Arni should not have been fired same with Berry, same with Mills after the season..great staff ruined by a ****ty GM who throws 40 million at Myers and Lyon

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

So you are saying he gets credit for the successes but has no responsibility over the failures? Veterans decreasing to the mean means that these guys end up having ERAs in the low 4s not in the 5s. Personally I think Ansberg is a little overrated. People are flipping out like we fired Dave Duncan. The difference between a good pitching coach and a average one is that a good pitching coach can make average talent look like allstars (Lohse, McClellan, Jaime Garcia, Pineiro, Penny). While Arsberg does put in a lot of work, he was not getting the results a good pitching coach should get. He's just average and most people are projecting their dislike of Ed Wade on to this firing.

1 person likes this.
  13. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

so a lame duck gm gives broccoli a vote of confidence. wow. i'm sold.

let's see what happens when they switch from cheapskate to crane style.

14. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

No, but a "pitching coach" is meaningless. Our former pitching coach was lauded for his work he did last year and fired this year. Hitting/pitching coaches likely make very little difference in the long run. Swapping out pitching coaches just doesn't get a rouse out of me anymore.

15. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

Nor me.

Is your team doing bad?

Fire meaningless people, keep the ones that ruined the team, and shovel another load of sh.t into the mouths of fans.

Sad, sad business.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Shovel another load of **** into the fans mouth. Haha that's great.:grin:(Not literally)

Hey Astro fans, tell me how our **** taste!

Sincerely,

The Houston Astros

:p