1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros- Deferred K's

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by chrisjent, Jan 14, 2004.

1. chrisjent

chrisjent Member

Food for thought:
    In 2006, the Astros have already committed themselves to owing nearly $40 Million in backloaded contracts and deferrals. This includes the contracts of Bagwell, Pettitte, Clemens and Kent. Keep in mind, pending the unlikely resigning of the latter two, only the remaining two will still be in an Astros uniform. If the budget remains the same or only slightly increases that means about 50% of the overall payroll will be tied up in two players.

Like the rest of ya'll I'll enjoy the run this year, yet keeping an eye on the future, it appears that all these backloaded deals will leave a shell of a team two years from now.

2. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Other than the Yankees this seems to be the only way for a team to win a championship these days. You don't see dynasties anymore.

3. edwardc

edwardc Member

Management had't worried about the future in so long they 'll do somethin else stupid real soon like trade doggie or something.

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

chrisjent,

I think thats to be expected. With Bags and Bidge, I am sure Drayton realizes that the window of opportunity to win a world series with this group is closing fast.

By 2006, two seasons from now, Bidge, Bags (maybe), Kent and Clemens will all be gone. Ausmus will be gone too.

However, well still have a nice foundation in Berkman, Ensberg, Everett, Miller, Oswalt, Pettite, Lidge and Dotel.

5. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I expect them to keep backloading contracts until Drayton sells the team.

Don't be suprised if you see deffered contracts from the future signings of Berkman, Oswalt, Ensberg, and Dotel. I would say Miller too, but recent history says we won't resign him.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

I'm willing to go for it now and then suffer for 5 years after. Whether we win or lose. And I say that simply because the Astros have always had a decent minor league anyway. So let's sign some aging veterans and make our last run.

7. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

With all the deferred $$$, we will suck in a couple of years, and I think that's why its do or die right now...It's worth it, but I also agree we'll have a good nucleus...

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Denial is a river in Egypt.

9. rockets688

rockets688 Member

Yea..except the Astros have one of the best farm systems in baseball...where did Oswalt and Miller come from I wonder?

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

SOrt of true, but the Astros are great at pulling good talent from the minor league.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It's worth a run at the title, even if only once. If they are out of it, for some odd reason, by July, Hidalgo will be as good as gone, possibly Kent as well.

However, since they will be 10 games up on the Cubs by then, this is all moot. :D

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

What is this referring to?

13. Rockets10

Rockets10 Contributing Member

Drayton is just trying to boost the value of the franchise by putting a good product on the field so that he can sell it within the next two years. Then those contracts will be passed on to the next owner. that's just my opinion though . . .

14. Buck Turgidson

99% of the time when owners want to sell, they *get rid* of as many long term contracts as possible.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you fix up your house when you want to sell it....if you're trying to attract buyers you don't make it less attractive to prospective buyers by leaving them with all of the burdens.

16. Rockets10

Rockets10 Contributing Member

MadMax and Buck,

point taken and maybe you're both right. but if you are right i cringe at the thought of what drayton will say in two years when all the deferred salary comes up. :(

17. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sarcasm is a big canyon where Shareef Abdur Rahim's body will be dumped.

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Unless the buyer is already identified, and quietly involved. That appears to be the case with Houston's great restaurateer...

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

we're hearing that behind the scenes, to be sure. but Tillman didn't make a ton of money by buying assets that are backloaded to disproportionately affect him.

somehow i doubt it's as certain as you think.

20. Major

Major Member

Drayton is just trying to boost the value of the franchise by putting a good product on the field so that he can sell it within the next two years. Then those contracts will be passed on to the next owner. that's just my opinion though . . .

When determining a franchise's value, all its assets and liabilities are considered. If the franchise owes $30 million in deferred salaries, the value of the franchise is going to be about $30 million less than it would have been without those liabilities. The only way this works out to increases Drayton's net gain is if the winning increases the franchise value by more than that of the deferred salaries. And if that's the case, then something right must have happened - a World Series or something like that.