1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Astros.com] Bagwell undergoes successful surgery

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Jun 7, 2005.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/NASAp...ent_id=1079467&vkey=pr_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

HOUSTON -- The Houston Astros announced today that infielder Jeff Bagwell underwent successful capsular release surgery on his right shoulder. In addition to the capsular release procedure, several small bone chips were removed from the area. The announcement was made by general manager Tim Purpura.
    The procedure was performed by Dr. Richard Hawkins of the Steadman Hawkins Clinic in Spartanburg, S.C. Astros Team Medical Director Dr. David Lintner assisted with the operation. Recovery time is expected to last three months, at which point he can resume baseball activity.

Bagwell, 37, is on the 15-day Disabled List with a right shoulder sprain, retroactive to May 4. He has hit .250 (22x88) with three home runs and 15 RBI in 24 games this season. In 2,135 career Major League games, he has hit .297 (2311x7785) with 449 home runs, 1,525 runs batted in, and 488 doubles. Bagwell's 449 career homers ranks 28th on the all-time list, and he is the only first baseman in Major League history and one of only 10 players all-time with at least 400 home runs and 200 stolen bases. Bagwell is the franchise's career leader in home runs, total bases, runs batted in, walks, and extra-base hits.

2. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My thinking is that this is more about Jeff enjoying the rest of his life,than about baseball.Get well Bags.

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I really don't think he will ever play baseball again, but I am glad that in 20 years he should now be able to hold his grandchildren in his arms without any pain.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I was a little worried about Bagwell's chances at the HOF if he didn't get to 500 HR's, but now looking back at all his stats, and the fact that he was a first baseman who was the "leader" of his one and only team for 14 years.... he's definitely going to Cooperstown on the first ballot.

Hell... I think his legend has "grown" since he decided to get the surgery. Every single baseball "insider" just raves about Bagwell's career stats, and how he's only one of 10 players EVER to put up the OPS, walks, RBI's, and HR's he has.

I look back on those numbers, and I can't help but feel a little sheepish... cause I know I was taking him for granted even when he was at his peak (hell... even in 2001, when everybody already thought he was getting too old).

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Maybe this will lend some more respect to Biggio from some Astros fans.

6. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

From what I've heard, this is only a temporary fix until his shoulder will eventually have to be replaced. He has a genetic arthritic condition...

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

With all sincerity wish the best for Bags. As an Astro fan I hope he can retire soon, content and well, so the team can have a replacement (with the insurance proceeds).

8. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I hope Bags recovers fully and never steps onto the field again. I love Bags, probably my favorite baseball player, but dude needs to hang it up.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

I think the fantasy sites said he was like 10%-50% he would play again. And normally they are optimistic. I didn't like the sound of that. But I hope he can make it back.