1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Astros.com] Bagwell sets precedent

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by l3igballer23, Jul 21, 2005.

1. l3igballer23

l3igballer23 Contributing Member

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/NASAp...t_id=1138236&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

Notes: Bagwell sets precedent
    Slugger is first to rehab from surgery while still in the Majors
    By Alyson Footer / MLB.com

PITTSBURGH -- In most cases, when a player is injured, clubs can make an educated guess on a possible return date based on past history.

But Jeff Bagwell's situation is different, because no athlete has had the type of shoulder surgery he underwent in June while still competing professionally. Usually, a capsular release procedure is performed later, when the player is retired.

That's why it's hard to assess how much progress Bagwell has made since his June 7 operation, and how much longer it will be before he can think about returning to the field.

Little has changed since the surgery. Bagwell continues to rehab twice a day at the The Institute of Rehabilitation and Research (TIRR) at the Texas Medical Center, where he is working on his range of motion and doing some strength-building exercises.

Recently, Bagwell has begun taking "dry swings" with a bat -- slow, controlled swings considered the first step toward returning to baseball-related activities.

Team medical director David Lintner estimated Bagwell would need a minimum of two months of rehab before he could resume baseball activities, so in that respect, Bagwell appears to be a little ahead of schedule.

Because of the therapy schedule, Bagwell hasn't traveled with the team since his surgery. At this point, there are no immediate plans for Bagwell to take road trips with the Astros.

Bagwell has an outside chance of returning to the field before the season is complete, although 2006 is probably a more realistic target. The good news is that he hasn't had any major setbacks since the rehab process began.

"He has his ups and downs and good days and bad days," general manager Tim Purpura said. "That's pretty typical. The one thing that's positive is the range of motion that he got back after the surgery, he's pretty well maintained."

Scoring change: Adam Everett was charged with an error that should have gone to Lance Berkman during Game 2 of Tuesday's doubleheader, and Berkman was the most vocal about his belief that the ruling should be changed.

The official scorer did, in fact, change the call, charging Berkman with the error that allowed Humberto Cota to score during the Astros' 6-4 win over the Bucs.

With Jack Wilson on first, Rob Mackowiak grounded to Craig Biggio, who tossed the ball to Everett for the first out. Everett threw to Berkman in an attempt to complete the double play, but the ball bounced off Berkman's glove. Cota scored on the play, and Everett was charged with the miscue.

No one in the Astros' clubhouse agreed with the original call.

"We had a chance to get the double play, and I stretched out there and stretched a little bit too far," Berkman said. "I made myself too short, and it went right off the top of my glove. So, it was my fault."

Day off: Craig Biggio received a well-deserved day off on Wednesday, one day after playing both games of a doubleheader against the Pittsburgh Pirates at PNC Park.

Wednesday's game called for an extremely early start time of 12:35 p.m. ET, which meant the Astros were going to play three games within a span of about 20 hours. Biggio preferred to take Wednesday off, rather than play one game of the doubleheader and rest the other.

"You're already playing, and you just kick yourself in the butt and push yourself another nine innings," Biggio said. "Today, you come in, it's an hour earlier game than normal. [Resting on Wednesday] was what I wanted to do, but I told [manager Phil Garner], 'You do what's best for the club.'"

Garner agreed with Biggio's philosophy.

"It would have been tough to come back for a 12:30 game today," Garner said.

Giving Biggio a day off allowed for Chris Burke to make a rare start at second base. Burke has been playing mostly in left field this season and will likely remain there for as long as Biggio is with the club.

Burke, who was a shortstop during his college years, has made an impression on the club with how well he's adjusted to the outfield with almost no prior training.

"He's adapting to the outfield pretty doggone well," Garner said. "He's played pretty good out there. His speed's been a big-time advantage. He's cut off a couple of doubles, and that really does help.

"He's picked it up well. He's made some good decisions, throwing balls to the right base. I think he's doing very well."

Coming up: The Astros travel to Washington to play at RFK Stadium for the first time in club history. Roy Oswalt (12-8, 2.54) will open the series on Thursday against Nationals righty Esteban Loiaza (6-5, 3.62).

Alyson Footer is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I wouldn't complain if he was able to come back this year and come off of the bench in September. It could only help. I'm not exactly clear on the rules for being available for the playoff roster if that were to happen. I think that as long as he's on the 15 day DL and not the 60 day, he is eligible.

That said, it's probably best that he wait until 2006 to attempt a comeback.

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I guess I am a pessimist in this regard . I think Bagwell is done.

4. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

If he comes back, great, however if not, well, I'll be waiting for the HOF to come calling...

5. kevwun

kevwun Member

Going by Bill James' tests, Bagewell is a lock whether he plays another game or not.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Improved range of motion ???

This is great news !!

Elway had a similar thing with his shoulder and once he got a capsular release he was fine.

I am hoping the same for Bags....wouldn't that be something?

DD