1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros close to signing another great pitcher.......

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tigereye, Feb 10, 2004.

1. tigereye

tigereye Member

except he isnt pitching anymore..........unlike "Rocket," he's 100%retired.

Ryan may be close to rejoining Astros
    Hall of Famer ends Rangers tenure
    By JOSE DE JESUS ORTIZ
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

Astros owner Drayton McLane's hopes of signing Hall of Famer Nolan Ryan to a personal services contract received a boost Monday when the former Astro ended his 15-year relationship with the Texas Rangers.

Barring an unforeseen setback, Ryan will sign a personal services contract with the Astros this month, multiple sources told the Chronicle.

According to a person close to the situation, Ryan has told McLane he will have an answer for the Astros by the middle of the month. It wouldn't be a surprise if the announcement was made today or Wednesday, however.

"I haven't talked to Nolan in about 10 days, but I have certainly talked to Nolan and encouraged him and recruited him," McLane said from his home in Temple. "We certainly have recruited him. ... We've had numerous conversations in the last several months."

Ryan's 10-year personal services contract with the Rangers ended late last year, and McLane wasted little time trying to lure him back to the Astros.

Ryan already has strong business ties to the Astros. Ryan's family and prominent Houston businessman Don Sanders are co-owners of the Astros' Class AA affiliate, the Round Rock Express, which will move up to Class AAA in 2005.

The Ryans and Sanders also are co-owners of the Corpus Christi franchise, which will become the Astros' Class AA affiliate starting in 2005.

Last fall, the Ryans and Sanders bought the Class AAA Edmonton Eskimos, which will be moved to Round Rock in 2005. In all likelihood, the Round Rock Class AAA club will be the Astros' affiliate.

"First of all, the city of Houston would certainly welcome him back as an Astro," said Sanders, who was a minority owner of the Astros from 1980 until 1989. "I think that was one of the big disappointments for Houston baseball fans when Nolan left. It would be a big tie with his relationship with Round Rock as an affiliate. How perfect would that be?

"It was a sad day for Houston Astros fans when (Ryan left to sign with the Rangers). Nolan was one of the greatest players to ever play here. Probably the greatest."

story link.......

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

McClane figures he can fill the stands by just running a bunch of good-ole boys out there.

This team better win this year.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

4. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

we got roger.. we got nolan...

your two heros...

you are a hendricks brothers client...

come on kerry wood.. come back to texas and hang with nolan ryan

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

What kind of a post is this? Do you not agree that Nolan Ryan is a Houston legend and would be a valuable addition to the Astros community?

"A bunch of good-ole boys"??? Sounds like you have some issues.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Do you not agree this is a marketing ploy? Do you not agree that Texans relate to Ryan, Pettitte, and Clemens? Who has the issues?

7. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

So, what exactly does a person with a "personal services contract" do?

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Don't be Trader_Jorge. Its not becoming of you to go to the I can spell gooder than card. .

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Thanks Trader_Jorge.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Man, I'm having a bad morning. I thought I deleted that first post to RM95. Sorry.

11. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

You are probably having a bad morning because you are the most negative astros fan (if you can even call yourself a fan) that I have ever met. Instead of posting the same garbage everytime there is a thread on the Astros, why dont you go to a Cubs site or a Braves site and bash the Astros there. It would be more welcomed. You offer absolutely nothing original with your posts and it is incredibly tired. You remind me of the Grinch. Go crap in someone elses stockings.
    :mad: :mad: :mad:

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

first of all when the Astros win a playoff series I won't be so negative.

second of all, I've never wrote about this because it just happened.:eek:

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

sure it's a marketing ploy...it's a connection to a beloved player in the franchise's history. what's wrong with that??

nolan also owns the team that will soon be our AAA affiliate. he has connections with the organization even beyond those of his playing days.

again...why is this a bad thing???

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Its not a bad thing, they just better win this year.

15. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

This is a great move...Nolan is a Houston area native and its good to have him under contract...Not sure what he does other than promote the Astros via trade shows, etc., but who the hell cares...

Go Stros!!!

16. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

You have complained about Pettitte and Clemens from day one. Everything the Astros do you complain about. Why not be happy that they are trying to put the best team possible out on the field? At least they are attempting to be competitive. I would hate to think what you would say if you lived in Montreal.

17. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

pgabriel, I think the reason people are upset with your post is that when you and your ilk typically use the phrase "good ol' boy" they are referring to a culture and/or system that promotes hiring people that come from money or high social standing (i.e. country clubs) and looking out for one's own race. Honestly though I don't see how anyone could be upset with an association with Nolan Ryan. He is one of the most respected players in history and has an extremely strong character. He is a very positive role model for the community, whether you like it or not.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I didn't complain about Billy Wagner, I'm glad they didn't trade Hidalgo, and I am actually a very big fan of Roy Oswalt. Point, you don't know everything about me. I have actually defended Mclane's spending policy.

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You seem to be complaining about McLane spending 10 million on a "number 3" (you're words) pitcher.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Look, Brobek, for the last time, and just note I didn't bring that up, I think that money could have been better spent. I actually like the fact that Mclane has a budget, and spends resposably, but I don't think the Pettitte contract is responsable spending.