1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros @ Cardinals

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 15, 2005.

1. T Rex

T Rex Contributing Member

Interesting comments from Larry Dierker, especially on Lane, in the St. Louis newspaper.

Morgan Ensberg: “He is a good, solid player. He has a great work ethic and does all the little things well. But I don’t expect him to have the impact of (Albert) Pujols in the middle of the batting order.”

Chris Burke: “He was drafted as a second baseman. He has done a good job in left field, but he’s not a power hitter.”

Jason Lane: “For me, he would be an ideal fourth outfielder. I think he’s in over his head as a starter. He has a long swing. He can really crush the ball when he hits it . . . He can hit mistakes. He doesn’t have real good strike zone judgement. He goes fishing.”

2. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

Did anyone else notice the "Jeff Kent-like" celebration that Pooholes did when he came home from third? God I hate that guy.....kind of like the way I hate Amare Stoudamire.

3. fya

fya Member

I hate eckstein more. That guy needs to be squashed like a bug.

Oh and mclane..........get another bat or two. Lane isn't worth a damn.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i can't tell you how much i agree with this. i'm pretty sure i actually wrote this somewhere and dierker stole it from me :)

5. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I agree with you there. Eckstein reminds me of Fernando Vina in his prime. They both can drive you nuts. Lane sucks. He strikes out like Adam Dunn but doesn't have Adam Dunn talent. We need another bat and another arm out of the bullpen because Qualls,Harville,Gallo,Springer, and Burns put together won't make one decent pitcher.

6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

He's a little more than "solid" Larry.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I don't think of Eckstein as that good... Vina was a pest (and reminded me of Stockton). Vina was also a gold-glove calibur fielder (eck has a girlie-arm), and had more pop in his bat. Eckstein is sorry... and that's why I'm so pissed that Springer actually walked him (but somehow managed to K Jim edmonds right afterwards).

Mo-berg with the early knock... gotta love this kid (if you don't already).

8. ruddy5

ruddy5 Member

Here we go again, roy kill those cards mf

9. The Real Shady

It's time for Roy to hum one at Marquis's head.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He better not... Tim McClelland (the home plate ump) doesn't stand for any sort of that guff. I know he should be allowed some sort of payback, but McClelland won't let him hit the other team's pitcher.

And, if you don't remember Tim, he was the guy who had the balls to call George Brett out for the pine-tar incident. If he can dissallow a big HR and eject a future HOFer for pine-tar, he can almost assuredly eject Roy Oswalt from this game.

EDIT: In hindsight... he would have been better of plunking him (marquis just hit a 2B)

#150 Nick, Jul 16, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2005
  11. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Walker 3 run shot. We must be cursed in Bush Stadium. I'll be glad when this series is over with because we can't buy a damn break when we play the Cards on the road.

12. ruddy5

ruddy5 Member

instead the cards are killing him...

13. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Eckstein looks like he's giving every throw every ounce he's got.

Anyone else wondering what was up with the Larry Walker curtain call? For a 3-run homer in the 5th inning?? I'd imagine Walker's hit plenty of middle inning go ahead homers, why the curtain call?

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If you watch Cards games, they ask for a curtain call for basically every freaking HR. They got one for Diaz last night... and Walker today. They average 2 or 3 of them per home series. I know its freaking annoying... but the only way to shut them up is to stop allowing them to hit HR's, I guess.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its starting to remind me of when the Rockets play at San Antonio (or when they used to play at Utah).

Oswalt is going along really good (low pitch count, no runs allowed)... then gets hit on the hand in his AB (a freak pitch by Marquis), the hand starts throbbing (he calls for the trainer), and then he summarily gives up 4 runs in the very next half-inning.

16. ruddy5

ruddy5 Member

i just don't think it was the reason. roy's control isn't there today. He's lucky that they just make him 4 runs

17. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Going back to the NLCS it seems we can have them on the ropes and just need one play to close them out but we just can't get it when we play in St Louis. Then the fans make it worst by giving 10 curtain calls a game. A guy can lay down a sac bunt and he gets a freaking curtain call.

18. ruddy5

ruddy5 Member

what is the matter with the curtain calls? you guys are making a big deal out of it.

19. The Real Shady

Good God?? Taveras???

20. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

and now pitching
    [​IMG]