1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros...Buyers or Sellers?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets934life, Jul 30, 2009.

1. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Well we are almost at the deadline and the last 4 games have told us alot.

Hampton/Ortiz and even Moehlor aren't good enough.

Bullpen is completly worn down.

Offense without a healthy Puma is avg to below avg

Wandy is a solid #2 and Roy is your #1(but we knew that already)

Norris is now in the rotation placing Ortiz

With everything that has happened its time to make a move either way selling ot buying. Here is a great article that brought up great points...

"Numerous scouts have told me the Astros could have a field day fielding offers at the deadline for their relievers, starting with Valverde, of course."

"Wade has stated often that the Astros might not have the flexibility to add a major piece to the club at the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline. These are difficult times for everybody, so it's hard to say the country's economic troubles haven't hurt the Astros, too. But, with that said, I wouldn't be surprised if the Astros landed somebody. Drayton McLane has a history of opening up the checkbook when he thinks the club can contend."

http://blogs.chron.com/baseballblog/archives/2009/07/land_a_no_2_or.html

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Everyone knows my stance, ha. IMO, you should sell. If this past series didnt tell you anything, well either you werent watching or were ignoring the facts/situation.

Letting Ortiz go was a step in right direction. However, in the end, ask yourselves, is this team a contending team? To me, no.Your 2 best players are injured and hurting and in the end, you'll be lucky to make the playoffs, let alone win the WS. The goal shouldnt be to just make the playoffs but to win the whole thing.

Will aquiring an extra piece or two get you over the hump? No I dont think so. There are too many good teams ahead of you. Philly, LA, STL, CHC, SF, and Colorado is right there in it and thats just to name a few. I say you sell and get some pieces or else your gonna lose Tejada and Valverde for nothing. If you do offer arbitration to get your draft pick(s), there is a chance they both accept it. So, as said, the Astros should sell, IMO.

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If we can get to the postseason our no.1 and 2 are as good as anyones, and 2 pitchers is all you need to win it all.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

They'll be neither. I'm good with that. Keep drafting...keep putting out a team that can compete in a mediocre division while we wait for kids to grow up on the farm.

5. cardpire

cardpire Member

what? you think the other 5 teams are just going to stay at their exact same current level of mediocrity and just wait for the stros prospects to develop?

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It would have been interesting to see the Stros dangle Wandy for Drabek and another prospect. His value couldn't be any higher than it is now with his age, contract, and the way he's pitching. Drabek's a local guy obviously with a high ceiling who would fit right in with that group coming up from Lexington. I wish we could have unloaded Lee and Tejada at least.

7. Landlord Landry

Phillies just landed a 20 game/Cy Young award winner w/o giving up Drabek and you think Amaro is gonna give up Drabek AND another prospect for Wandy?

not gonna happen.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'm thinking sell, but mainly thinking of Tejada given his age and trading him at the height of his value. I wouldn't extend the selling to the likes of Oswalt or Wandy unless it's just an offer you can't refuse.

Basically, everyone's "available", but not going part with them unless we get very good value in return.

9. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

A reocurring theme in Houston sports i guess :(

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Disagree. Wandy has passed Oswalt as the ace and still seems to be getting better despite being basically the same age.

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

2006 & 2007 were pretty mediocre too.

12. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Only the Cardinals seem to know what they're doing and they are in good position payroll-wise to re-sign Holliday (and maybe Derosa).

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

based on the recent history of our division, i don't think that's too crazy a thought.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If you have one game to decide if the Astros play in the postseason and both pitchers are equally rested and equally healthy who do you want starting the game?

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

come on...you wrote this team off before the season started, right? no one gave them a tinker's chance in hell to even be this close. I was arguing they'd be around 81-85 wins and people thought I was nuts. The division was and is mediocre. You can pretty much say that about the entire NL. I have no idea what the Cardinals and Cubs will do in the offseason. Neither does anyone else. Even more so, I have zero idea what the Cards or Cubs will look like on paper by the time the Astros are bringing up key young guys they've been drafting the last couple of seasons.

we've played nearly through one season while trying to rebuild the farm through the draft. we're signing draft picks and working on replenishing all that. i don't expect us to go out and make gigantic trades to help us while we're doing that. My hope was only that they'd stay competitive enough to make the summers interesting while they're trying to replenish young talent. So far, they've done that.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

What the Astros should be and what they think they are is 2 completely different things.

I'd be very shocked to see them trade away one of the big contracts.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Wandy

18. rockets934life

Valverde and Marlins sound good in the same sentence...

It might be Johnson or bust for the Marlins. They were in on closer George Sherrill before the Orioles dealt him to the Dodgers. They’d love to add Heath Bell, but the Padres asked for Cameron Maybin AND Andrew Miller. Unless the price comes down the Marlins are out.

I would do Valverde for Andrew Miller in a heartbeat!

19. rockets934life

20. E-Man

E-Man Member

I think they should sell. We're 4 1/2 out of 1st and I have no faith what so ever that this team can get to 1st. Hampton, stinks, Ortiz is gone (thank god), and Moehler is just trash.