1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Acquire Oliver

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Jul 22, 2004.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

so you think this is about race, huh?

2. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Edward, you forgot the "P" before the "C" at the end of your moniker.

:rolleyes:

Lighten up.

3. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Just Play It!!!

4. edwardc

edwardc Member

just look at his era that says it all. If they were really trying to get someone that could help get this team over the hump it wouldn't have been Oliver.

5. codell

codell Contributing Member

So in other words, Oliver will be the token black person on the team, and nothing else eh??

6. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Too funny. If it walks like a duck...

7. codell

If Gerry can convince him to say "bling bling" every time he walks into the clubhouse, it will do even more to help the effect.

8. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Or wear a T on his shirt.

9. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Codell,

I don't really believe that this organization is what some are suggesting. But, you have to believe that it is possible. I do believe that this team makes moves based on public relation/perception... You have to think this has a little to do with public relations. Don't you?

10. codell

They haven't had an AA on the roster since they released Hunter last year. Why all of the sudden would they feel they need an AA on the team, right now, at this very moment, just because of his skin color???

Why wouldn't they just call up Jimerson if they felt they needed an AA on the team??

11. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

C'mon. Not the least bit suspicious? Can you understand why others are? Justify the move for those that are suspicious, if you will?

12. codell

Not in the least bit. And no, I can't understand why others would be. Never have and never will.

They could have just called up Ryan Thompson to fill that void and sit on the bench if that was their true intention. No need to make a trade where you have to get rid of someone. Its not like the Astros have the community lashing out at them and seeing attendance suffer as a result.

13. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Was this based on race. Probably not! At least not in a bad way.(if that is possible) I mean, I can imagine this topic was brought up in one of their meetings and now they do not have to hear about not having an African American on the team. Case closed!But, I can see why people would think it is based on race.

More importantly, justify the move in baseball terms. Not they could of called up this person or that person. Xs and Os, why did we trade for Oliver? Hunsicker to me just doesn't get it!!! I don't think this was a good baseball move.

14. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Maybe the team wants another lefty arm in the pen (I do believe Mike Gallo was our only one in the pen)? Maybe the team also wants this lefty arm to be able to start if need be? Maybe because, as most of us have been b****ing, the pen needs massive middle relief help? Change of scenery might be good for him, ala Hidalgo. Just my humble opinion, of course; I think the race issue is being blown out of proportion.

15. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Maybe you should look at his numbers for the past ...ohhhh lets see, his professional career. Maybe you should know that a change of scenery requires a change once or maybe twice, not 5 times in 5 years.

The guy lives in Southlake,TX and to me, is a sign of things to come. The season is over... a change is coming.

16. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Hell, the guy got some playing time, damn racists. :rolleyes: I demand to know why he isn't starting. Gotta have a brutha to clean up the honky's mess.

:D

17. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Pettitte is down again. Looks like he will be replacing Pettitte. We'll know more about Pettitte's arm tomorrow morning!