1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros...1st pick overall?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by htownbball, Sep 11, 2007.

1. htownbball

htownbball Member

We have 62 wins...there are several teams tied for worst with 61 wins...with the way we're playing, we might have a shot at #1.

We would most likely go for a college player, due to the fact that Oswalt, Berkman, and Lee are all in their prime and we need someone who we can fast track (hopefully that can happen now that Purpura is gone). However, the best hitters, Pedro Alvarez and Justin Smoak, are probably going to be playing 1B. Smoak is a natural 1B while Alvarez is a 3B who projects to play 1B due to his size and lack of defensive capabilities. Berkman won't be able to play OF when those kids are ready (at least he won't be able to play OF well IMO).

Do we go for a college pitcher? Brian Matusz will probably be the top rated pitcher out of San Diego. Tyson Ross may battle for that top spot, a projectable pitcher from Cal who is a bit raw, but his stuff is incredible.

Hopefully we can snag Jordan Danks in the sandwich round if we dont resign Lamb/Loretta

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I don't think you go projectable with the first pick...especially when it comes to pitchers. I have a feeling that Danks is going to play himself into the top 10 this season. He's played well for UT, but he's primed for a monster season.

3. Fuzzy Zoeller

Fuzzy Zoeller Member

Great idea! Let's tank the season less than 162 games in for an inknown commodity. Not smart!

or however that saying goes...

Okay, at least I didn't pull the "we won't sign the pick anyway" card :D

Damn, this site is growing on me

4. htownbball

htownbball Member

who said we should tank? i was simply saying we are in the running for worst record in the league.

5. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

If they sign a quality free agent, which they are likely to do, they will lose their 1st round pick.

Baseball drafts don't have the same excitement as the nba or nfl.

6. Fuzzy Zoeller

Fuzzy Zoeller Member

I know...I'm just happy there's an active thread on the Astros again.

I'd rather have the dignity of finishing ahead of last place, since baseball picks aren't nearly as sure-fire as any other draft.

7. htownbball

htownbball Member

gotcha

brandon crawford would be a nice pick. a SS with some serious tools.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If you pick in the top 10 (might be top 5) your pick is protected.

9. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

If Drayton won't shell out any money for a 3rd or 4th round pick why would he for a high first rounder?

10. Fuzzy Zoeller

Fuzzy Zoeller Member

Sure, he won't sign 3rd+ round picks at 1st round money, but I bet he'd sign a first rounder for first round money.

11. texanskan

link me to something that shows those players wanted first round money, it seems to me they just wanted a little more than 3rd round money because they were high school kids with good college offers trying to leverage a better deal.

12. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

The Astros should definitely take Vince Young...

13. Poloshirtbandit

14. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

Pedro Alvarez, 3B, Vanderbilt. With our luck he'll probably be a Boras guy and we will pass on him or any other stud if we are lucky enough to obtain the #1 pick.

Anybody remember the last time we had the #1 pick? I do, the year was 1992. Our #1 scout said we needed to take this high school SS out of Michigan. He was the closest thing he'd ever seen to a sure thing. We passed on him and took Phil Nevin. Nevin played only 18 games for the Astros before being traded to Detroit for Mike Henneman.

That SS turned out to be Derek Jeter.

The #1 pick the following year was Alex Rodriguez.

15. msn

msn Member

Precisely. So, there's no villain in this story, only a dumbass. The dumbass that drafted 2 high schoolers with our two top picks.

The dumbass is now gone.

16. texanskan

well if Drayton want to only spend third round money on a third rounder he should of instructed the dumbass to draft a college player

17. Buck Turgidson

This is just horse****.

Top 15 picks are protected, btw.

18. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

i stopped reading right there.

19. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

I'm just honored that I got quoted by you Kam. :cool:

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Not true. If you are in the bottom half of the league and sign a top flight free agent, you don't lose your first round pick.