1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astrodome's future

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by North Star, Oct 25, 2001.

1. North Star

North Star Contributing Member

Well, it looks like Houston is not going to get the 2012 Games. NYC, DC, and SF are going to advance. I pick DC. Since Houston is more likely not going to get the 2012 Games, what will happen to the Astrodome? I guess tear it down once Reliant opens.

2. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

I don't know about the astrodome... but Reliant Stadium is a work of art! I saw it for the first time this past weekend, i only saw it from a distance, but I think it's pretty sharp! I hope I get to go to a game....

Is the dome slated for destruction? I mean where are the 'necks gonna have their tractor pulls? or where is Robbie Knievel gonna jump 20 school buses??

rH

3. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Whenever I pass by a Monster Truck show or Motorbike racing on TNN, I always look for the rainbow seats :)

The first time I saw Reliant Stadium I swirved a couple of lanes on 610. It is an awesome sight.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Where's the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo being held nowadays? Astrodome?

5. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

The HLS&R is moving to Reliant Stadium in 2003.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The 3 olympic qualifying cities have been chosen already?? or are you just speculating??

7. North Star

Dallas Morning News

8. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

"Nov. 30 is not a flexible deadline," USOC media services director Bob Condron said

He probably forgot to add, "I mean unless it's NYC or DC."

Man I thought our bid was real strong, we better at least f'ing make the cut on friday.

9. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

"Monorail...monorail...MONORAAAAIIIIILLLLLL!"
    "....Monorail! D'oh!"

Well, "light" anyway, but you get the idea. ;)

10. treeman

treeman Member

I don't even live in Houston anymore, but I will honestly shed a tear if the Astrodome comes down.

I'd also vote anyone out of office who even condoned it. The Colesium stood for over a thousand years. The Astrodome is the largest structure in Houston until Reliant goes up. I wouldn't even tear it down afterwards.

It's a historical monument, if nothing else. Tell me a compelling reason why its real estate is needed if you want it torn down.

I still won't listen. It's Houston's Colesium.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Great. Nothing like a new stadium being funkified. :)

12. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Personally, I think that the Astrodome is gonzo. Two, MAYBE three years left...Sure, there will be some backlash from the old school 'necks that have those wonderful memories of J.R. Richard, Earl Campbell, Billy Jean King, and that UH/UCLA game, but they are quickly fading from Houston's memory. Once people see and experience the difference between Reliant and The Dome, they'll forget all about the old girl.

Also, the city could make the Dome's implosion into a big event. Who wouldn't want to see the city's greatest building being blown up? They could show it on ESPN classic, and run a day full of the Astrodome's greatest moments, like they did with the Kingdome in Seattle.

I can see it now, a T-Shirt saying, "I saw the Astrodome get blown up, and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt"

13. North Star

I like the idea of turning the Astrodome into a hockey arena for a potential NHL team. That would be so cool.