1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ask Me Anything (Except Math Questions)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rimrocker, Dec 13, 2019.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you miss the days when you people actually carried on conversations with strangers waiting in line, at the doctor, or out in public, instead of burying their head into their phone and ignoring everyone around them?

I do.

AroundTheWorld and Nook like this.
  2. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

How many selfies is too many?

I don't need to see more than one a year unless something drastic has changed with your appearance.

Nook likes this.
  3. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

What was the best thing about the 70's for you?

For me, one thing was that concert tickets were first come first serve and there were no online sales and ticket scalpers I loved being able to stand in line at the mall and actually get great seats for the best bands and performers in the world for like $7. All seats were the same low price. Man, the internet ruined all that.

4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I'm an introvert and a reader, so I always enjoyed my alone time and even before smart phones, I'd be reading something in public if I could. I always enjoyed eating lunch by myself and reading while I ate and did not look for conversation. I do understand where you're coming from though. We seem to have lost an element of civility and, more importantly, an element of trust in one another. Now, if someone approaches you, the automatic assumption is that they want something from you beyond a good conversation. We've become wary and cynical, but not necessarily by choice. Not sure what to do to fix that. Maybe make some societal changes that would alleviate some of the desperation out there? Some of it also has to do with the increasing stresses of work. If you carry work with you 24/7, how can you relax enough to look around and ponder things or engage with people? (I do think it is easier to talk to strangers when you're traveling but not so easy in daily life.)

AroundTheWorld, Nook and deb4rockets like this.
  5. rimrocker

As long as you do duck lips, you can take as many as you want. Everyone loves duck lips and thinks it is the coolest, sexiest thing ever. If you don't do duck lips, don't take selfies. This has the added benefit of helping identify smart people because they won't have any selfies.

6. rimrocker

Every generation sees their youth through rose-colored glasses but looking at it objectively as I can, the 70's. particularly the last half of the decade, were golden years. Lots of freedom, no AIDS, good music, cheap college, and a bunch of other stuff. For me, it was hanging with my friends and figuring out what life was all about, all the while thinking we were the smartest mofos ever.

(Of course, much of what made my teen/early 20's so cool was the abundance of fossil fuels. I cruised all Saturday night, followed Joe Ely around Texas, and was educated in a state with no income tax and cheap colleges, all thanks to oil. Now, I look at what we pay for my daughters to go to college and the changing world that awaits them and can't help but feel a little sick about it all. The good life I gave them as kids was a direct result of my taking advantage of a system with consequences I never considered. And much of my income since has been a result of seeing those changes take place in the natural world where fire occurrence and behavior are accelerating.)

7. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Hmmm, I guess I just see them as "look at me aren't I pretty? " way of getting attention.

8. rimrocker

Remember, I'm an old.

deb4rockets likes this.
  9. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

True. The invention of answering machines, mobile phones, and internet destroyed everyone's ability to escape from work when off work. You could simply not answer your phone if you didn't want to be bothered, and you didn't have a phone to answer when out camping, on a date, or away from home. The Eagles said it best with that "peaceful easy feeling"

rimrocker likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Have you ever used a rechargable battery chainsaw? (Stihl/Ecco/etc...)

Wait...you still can't do this?

And...do The Eagles suck as much as I think they do?

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What's your advice on raising a daughter?

12. rimrocker

No.

You can, it is just more difficult for some jobs.

Saw the Eagles at the Summit, must have been 1979? They were a supergroup and sold a ton of albums back then, but I don't think their songs have aged that well on the whole and probably seem a bit too laid-back California-ish today. So, if you weren't around back then, I can see how you would think they kinda suck. I wish Joe Walsh had stayed with The James Gang. One group I liked back then but can no longer stand is Foreigner. Way too formulaic.

deb4rockets and Buck Turgidson like this.
  13. rimrocker

Raise a good human first. As you're doing that, emphasize the development of skills that will help her deal with the issues of being a woman. Encourage her intellectual pursuits, help her become confident, and help her understand it doesn't matter what others say about you. Encourage sports, but not too much. Point out the vulture businesses that revolve around women and warn about getting too sucked up in fashion and other unimportant stuff. Teach her history, so she knows what she's up against and her critical thinking skills mature in the process. Watch classic movies together. Read together. Talk. Make it a point that she has a responsibility to society in ways great and small. Let her cuss. Encourage her to metaphorically kick ass. Always remind her that youth and beauty are fleeting, but an education and intelligence last a lifetime.

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Since you're 1,342 away, what's your take on Ke$ha?

15. Buck Turgidson

Yes! James Gang Joe Walsh is the best Joe Walsh with the possible exception of solo Joe Walsh.

How many individual wild mammals do you think you've seen more than once?

16. rimrocker

She's no Janis Joplin.

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

True story: My dad did some time with Janice Joplin.

18. rimrocker

Not sure how to take that question. For instance, I'm sure I've seen individual elk, bison, and raccoons more than once just based on frequency, but I wouldn't be able to identify any one individual.

If you mean how many species I've seen more than once, it's a few. Mountain lions are notoriously hard to see and I've only seen one that I count. A couple of others were probable, but I just caught glimpses. I've seen one wolf (Glacier NP) relatively close and a pack a good distance away (Yellowstone). One badger. Lots of black bear and a few grizzlies. An occasional moose, lynx, and bobcat. A boatload of deer.

Xerobull likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

So Mars doesn't have much of an atmosphere...after we dimmed the lights what jazz artist would you play to help create one?

20. Buck Turgidson

The first. Was curious if you remembered the same ones. The second is awesome...I've never seen a wolf or mountain lion in the wild.