1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ask Me Anything (Except Math Questions)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rimrocker, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Buck Turgidson

Practice

conquistador#11 likes this.
  2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

One last thing- military-trained snipers call the calculations to calculate aiming at a distance 'slope dope'

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Excellent post. Singapore has been sited as a COVID-19 success story, and that is well deserved, but recent events there have me worried that we, meaning our federal government in particular, but also our state governments, will attempt to "bring things back to normal" too soon. Here's a link to an article about the beginnings of a crisis in Singapore, what caused it, and the potential consequences - from the BBC. For those who don't know, Singapore and the UK have very close relations and the BBC has good sources there.

A bit from the beginning, link at the bottom:

Coronavirus: Should the world worry about Singapore's virus surge?
    By Anna Jones BBC News, Singapore

Singapore had been a master class in how to handle the Covid-19 outbreak.

Before the disease even had a name, the country had stringent travel restrictions and an efficient contact-tracing operation which contained the virus's spread.

But in recent days, the number of confirmed cases has rocketed. Thursday brought the highest day of new infections to date at 287, up from 142 the day before.

Mostly, these are coming from densely-packed migrant worker accommodation.

Having avoided it for months, Singapore is now under a partial lockdown, with schools and non-essential businesses closed, and people urged to stay at home.

Experts say one of the world's wealthiest nations - which seemed to be doing everything right - has important lessons for poorer countries, and there's still time to put them in place.

What was going well in Singapore?
    Singapore had its first case of the new coronavirus very early on. It was a Chinese tourist who arrived from Wuhan on 23 January, the same day the virus epicentre was put into a total lockdown.

By the time the disease caused by the virus got its official name - Covid-19 - it was already spreading among the population here. But a well-rehearsed response was in place.

In addition to health checks at airports, Singapore carried out extensive testing of every suspected case; tracked down anyone who'd come into contact with a confirmed case; and confined those contacts to their homes until they were cleared.

WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus called it "a good example of an all-of-government approach".

For weeks, Singapore managed to keep its numbers low and trackable, with only small, easily contained clusters, without any real restrictions to daily life.

But Prof Dale Fisher, chair of the WHO's Global Outbreak Alert and Response Network and a professor at the National University of Singapore, told the BBC that whenever he heard people say Singapore was doing well, he'd reply: "So far."

"This is a really hard disease to contain," he says.

When did things start to get worse?
    The system worked until mid-March, says Prof Yik-Ying Teo, dean of the Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health in Singapore.

That's when, as the gravity of the situation became clear around the world, countries started urging their citizens to get home.

Thousands returned to Singapore from countries which had not been as proactive - among them more than 500 people who unwittingly brought the virus back with them.

It was by then mandatory for returnees to stay at home for two weeks. But other people in their household were told they could carry on with their lives, as long as no-one showed any symptoms.

(more at the link)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-5223214

4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Good article. I don't understand the push to open up (well, yeah, I do... money over people, as always) because we will end up with a similar dynamic. Right now, we're bending the curve, but just because we have less big fires after we got smoke detectors installed in most homes doesn't mean you disband the fire department.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Indeed. You'd know that more than most. I'm not optimistic that reason will prevail.

rimrocker likes this.
  6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So what cheap and accessible thing should I dip my pork rinds in? And/or scoop with my pork rinds.

7. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Cheap? Try sour cream blended with some onion powder or some mayo with horseradish.

8. Buck Turgidson

Why do you not have spicy pork rinds, which need no dip?

VooDooPope likes this.
  9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I buy those big ass Utz 18oz pork rind containers. Hard for my cheap self to go from ~$0.40/oz to like $1.50/oz.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Interesting. I was having them with cream cheese most recently. Tasty but eh. Might try SC + onion powder tho

11. GIGO

GIGO Member

@rimrocker , I hope you're safe and healthy.

I just remembered this Q&A from April.

During last 10 months since this question was asked, there've been more waste from disposable (non-)delivery packages, disposable sanitary or medical products, etc. than before 2020. In 2021, more people are recommended to use gov-approved disposable masks around the world and this virus isn't going anywhere anytime soon even after vaccine.

If I may, I'd like to revisit the question. Will there be anything else you'd like to add to your answer?

12. TimDuncanDonaut

What are three items you could buy together at the grocery store to make the cashier laugh?

CometsWin likes this.