1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As we start to "re-open"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ThatBoyNick, Apr 24, 2020.

1. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Only problem with the testing is you have to show at least one symptom or else you can't be tested...

T_Man

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Could this just be the jobs program that out of work Crisis Actors are looking for?

Invisible Fan likes this.
  3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We have over 2,000 new cases today so far and are testing poorly compared to most states. This isn't a good sign.

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  4. Major

Major Member

That's no longer completely true. Or at least, it's much easier to get tested in lots of places now. I know in Travis County, you just fill out a form on a website - no longer have to see a doctor. I think Williamson County is aiming to make it available to anyone.

But that said, I agree it was the case before. So as we get testing to more people, we'll see more cases, even if the real # of cases isn't increasing. It makes it hard to really know what policies are having what effects.

jcf likes this.
  5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

At some point you can't keep increasing testing without eventually forcing people to get tested.

That might fly in some countries, but good luck with that in America.

Astrodome likes this.
  6. jcf

jcf Member

I hear you. But, what does that mean? Is it 2000 new people who tested positive or 2000 seriously sick people?

I have been and continue to be on the far edge of isolating myself and my family. I am not advocating just opening up. My firm is shut down. I’m not going out.

But, there is so much info thrown around without context thAt it is maddening. (Not you, of course. I mean those who initially report the data).

if these are 2000 new seriously sick patients that tells us one thing. If it includes asymptomatic or “lightly sick” people that tells us something different.

there are a lot of numbers out there, but without context they are meaningless ( at least to me).

jiggyfly, Astrodome and Major like this.
  7. body slam

body slam Member

I've know some areas are offering test to the public. Lets say they are doing 100 test. Anyone can apply to take the test. People with symptoms get first shot at test. The remaining spots goes to others that applied. All test are by appointment.

8. Major

Major Member

Good thing we're nowhere near the point and that concern is pretty much irrelevant.

9. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

The part that isn't meaningless is that those people, whether seriously ill or not, may have put people who are vulnerable to getting seriously ill at risk if they came in contact with them.

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Sry hasn't changed...

I even asked my doctor and she stated... you have to have one of the symptoms before you can get tested...

So that has not changed..

T_Man

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. jcf

jcf Member

Yes. But, if there are a lot of asymptomatic people without symptoms spreading it to others — the critical question is on average how many of the infected become very sick vs asymptomatic or lightly sick.

we really need to know the risks associated with this thing. I am taking it very seriously. But numbers without context are used all the time in my profession to paint inaccurate pictures. I have zero idea what the 2000 figure you cited represents.

if it means that more and more people are getting seriously sick—that says this “opening” is idiotic and needs to be shut down now.

If the 2000 is comprised of a lot of folks who are not seriously sick or were tested because they have been in contact and aren’t showing symptoms, that would at least be good news.

again, not directed at you at all, but these running counts we see on the news are so damn frustrating. I want a fair, neutral scientist to break down the raw numbers and tell us what it means.

Astrodome likes this.
  12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

National and State Covid19 forecast through 6/1. TX: 2K death (1.5-3k range)

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/forecasting-us.html

Updated May 14, 2020

Interpretation of Cumulative Death Forecasts
    • This week’s national-level forecasting includes 12 individual forecasts, and all indicate an increase in deaths in the coming weeks. Predicted rates of increase differ among the forecasts, depending on assumptions about the strength and coverage of social distancing behaviors.
    • The National Ensemble Forecast suggests that the number of cumulative reported deaths are likely to exceed 100,000 by June 1st.
    • State-level ensemble forecasts indicate that states with low numbers of deaths reported to date are not likely to see a rapid rise in the coming weeks, while states with high numbers of deaths reported to date are likely to see substantial increases.

RayRay10 and jcf like this.
  13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Curious to see if mojoman's cartoonists will be even more funny after 100,000 American deaths...

B-Bob and RayRay10 like this.
  14. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Believe me, I feel your frustration for those reasons too. I don't trust our President, and now I don't trust our Governor or Representatives in giving us the real truth. They scoff at medical advice and it infuriates me.

I think if the numbers keep going up though, that it won't be as much testing as it is the results of people simply being more careless, and ignoring safe distancing and guidelines. Time will tell I guess.

B-Bob, RayRay10 and jcf like this.
  15. Major

Major Member

That's simply not true everywhere.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/wil...ns-up-covid-19-testing-to-asymptomatic-cases/

Williamson County opens up COVID-19 testing to asymptomatic cases

Williamson County purchased tests out of its CARES Act fund to provide testing free of charge to anyone, including those not currently experiencing COVID-19 symptoms.

“The registration for people who were displaying symptoms has gone down,” said Cynthia Long, Williamson County Commissioner. “We feel like we’ve gotten through a lot of the people who haven’t already gone to see their health care provider. The healthcare providers are telling us that it spreads with asymptomatic people, as well.”

vlaurelio likes this.
  16. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Or fern t*** and musk can pay a living wage?

jcf likes this.
  17. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

We are a long long way from that.
    The notion this would be the reason is laughable.

In fact that shouldnt be a factor at all.

18. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

better safe then sorry. What is the benefit of going in? If you are attorney you know all about risk reward and being in office for jeans friday and frans birthday cake just isnt worth the reward.

2000 is 2000.

We freaked out when it was like 10 and now its 2000 and screw it? makes sense!

That is the crazy part where we went from its not that contagious, no testing, a small number has it, and like the flu but everyone panic ...

To now: super duper contagious, 10 times more deadly than flu, 80k dead and counting, testing 400k a day and supposed to be testing at 900k a day, AND 2000 new cases IN A DAY

so?

[​IMG]

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Ultimately, it’s up to each individual behaviors, when they have control (companies packing them together is an exception). The stay at home forces people to behave one way, but we do have data that people were already changing their behaviors prior to those orders. And now we have data that prior to lifting those orders, people were starting to change their behaviors again. It’s not universal everywhere and if you can measure this behavior, you probably can correlate it with cases trend. One of my biggest concern is as we re-open, we relax back to normal. If each of us take the responsibility to be safe- masking, hand washing, physical distancing and all, we will be much more successful. I hate it that we have a return back to ... its nothing but a flu. That makes it less successful.

Additional points:
    1- not necessary. Crushing the curve while instituting precise and quick test, trace and isolation (including keeping infected away from family members) can keep the number overall in check. Delaying opening increases the chance to put that in place. However, since there isn’t a federal TTI plan (should have one) and most state do not have one either, we have lost this opportunity and its pretty much a moot point on when we re open.

2- yes, good news is the new cases are on a decline while we are testing more. That’s not the case for all region but overall it’s a good trend. We have to wait for probably end of June to see the effect of May “re-opening” and shifting behavioral changes.

3- I think we will likely see a big rebound in cases in multiple places because we didn’t flatten much, we have a behavioral shift and we do not have a system in place to isolate quickly

4- unless it gets close to NY level spike, the public is likely going to accept the spikes as a new acceptable norm

RayRay10 and Major like this.
  20. Major

Major Member

Governor Abbott shut down most businesses across the state and issued stay-at-home orders. Many businesses are still forced closed.