1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As The Nuggets Turn.....

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Nuggets4, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Looks a little better for Issel as ESPN reports that Hispanic community is softening. After Nuggets4's defense of Issel's character and evident sincere regret, I'm glad to see it's getting better. Even if Issel weathers this well, I wonder if he won't still resign in a month or so anyway.

2. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Issel's demise could be accelerated, if the Nuggets go 4-0 during his absence & start losing again upon his return. The players are in control of Issel's fate now. Let's hope they take advantage of it.

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

So do you want Issel out and if you do are you suggesting that the players tank when he comes back?

4. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

If the players want him gone, then the answer is yes.

Here's an interesting trade article that I found at RealGM. It makes no sense for the Nuggets, but according to RealGM the dollars would work for the specific players involved.

http://inq.philly.com/content/inquirer/2001/12/18/sports/MUTOMBO18.htm

Tuesday, December 18, 2001

Nuggets said to be eyeing Mutombo

Possible trade bait: McDyess and LaFrentz. The Sixers say the big man isn't on the market.

By Stephen A. Smith
    INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Caught in the controversy involving team president and coach Dan Issel, and desperate to acquire a big man, the Denver Nuggets are considering offering forwards Antonio McDyess and Raef LaFrentz to the 76ers for all-star center Dikembe Mutombo, NBA sources said yesterday.

As recently as Thursday, Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe approached his staff about Mutombo, according to the sources, who said the potential deal would send former Olympian McDyess and LaFrentz to the Sixers for Mutombo, Matt Harpring and Speedy Claxton.

The deal would be difficult to pull off because of a 15 percent trade kicker in Mutombo's contract, as well as opposition from a faction within the Nuggets organization that has no interest in reacquiring Mutombo by losing McDyess or LaFrentz. And based on what Sixers GM Billy King has said, such a deal would be impossible because Mutombo is "off limits."

"I'm not about to elaborate or be specific about any potential deals," King said last night. "I will admit I've talked to Denver, just like I talk to any other team in the NBA. But I've never put Mutombo on the table. There have been no conversations involving Mutombo."

King forgot to add that anything is possible if the right deal is placed on the table, and that McDyess and LaFrentz qualify as the right deal. McDyess has not played all season because of a partially dislocated kneecap and is expected back in February.

As of last night, it was unclear who had contacted whom, particularly since the Sixers have been eyeing LaFrentz for some time. His contract was not extended over the summer. It is no secret that the 6-foot-10 forward strongly dislikes Issel and wants to be traded to a contender.

Other teams are afraid of LaFrentz's going to the Los Angeles Lakers (his preference), in the interest of parity, and have looked to get involved.

Issel's latest incident with a heckler hasn't helped. The Nuggets suspended the coach for four games for shouting an insulting ethnic remark and an expletive at the heckler after a Dec. 11 loss to Charlotte.

Nor has it helped that Vandeweghe, in his first year on the job, is feeling pressure in Denver to make a deal just so he looks like he is doing something. GMs around the league who consider Vandeweghe a novice have been trying to coax him into making deals.

For Mutombo, however, coaxing may not be necessary.

The Nuggets have consistently felt pressure to reacquire a big man since Mutombo, Denver's No. 4 overall draft pick in 1991, left for Atlanta as a free agent on July 15, 1996. And point guard Nick Van Exel has demanded a trade, which puts more pressure on them.

It's likely that the Nuggets will wait until the February trading deadline nears before doing anything. But two things are true: They want Mutombo; and the Sixers will tell anyone they have four untouchables, including Mutombo, on their roster. For now.

5. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

If I'm Philadelphia and Denver comes to me and says "I'll give you McDyess and LaFrentz for Mutombo" the first words out of my mouth is "done, when can it be official?" A dominant YOUNG PF and a good center for an aging but still dominant (defensively) center? Two good young big man for an good old big man? Where do I sign! LaFrentz would be a really good center in the East.

6. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Just got this press release:

<b>ISSEL TO TAKE LEAVE OF ABSENCE</b>

Denver Nuggets President and Head Coach Dan Issel has requested and been granted a leave of absence from the organization, General Manager Kiki Vandeweghe announced on Saturday.

"Dan has requested some additional time to consider his future in terms of coaching the Nuggets," Vandeweghe said. "He wants to make sure his return to the sidelines is in his best interest and the best interest of the organization. The club honors and supports Dan Issel and his request."

No timetable has been set for Issel's return and Mike Evans will continue to serve as the Nuggets interim head coach for Saturday's contest with Golden State.

<b>-NUGGETS-</b>

7. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Sources say Issel will resign as Nuggets coach

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services

Nuggets coach and president Dan Issel will resign, as soon as today, several NBA sources confirmed to the Rocky Mountain News on Sunday.

NBA sources told the Rocky Mountain News last week that Issel was considering resignation. But Issel said he would return to the bench Saturday, after he had finished his four-game suspension for shouting a profane and ethnically insensitive outburst at a fan Dec. 11.

But rather than return to the bench after the suspension, Issel took an indefinite leave of absence that left many to wonder if he will ever be back.

"I hope he does come back," acting coach Mike Evans said, "but I want what is best for him."

The announcement of Issel's resignation will come after Issel and the Nuggets agree to terms on a contract buyout, sources told the Rocky Mountain News. The holiday schedule also could delay the announcement. The Nuggets were are off Sunday and Monday, then practice on Christmas before their home game against Minnesota on Wednesday.

No timetable was set for Issel's return, though general manager Kiki Vandeweghe said Saturday night he believed Issel would need only a day or two to make a decision.

Vandeweghe said Issel requested "some additional time to consider his future in terms of coaching the Nuggets. He wants to make sure his return to the sidelines is in his best interest and the best interest of the organization."

Issel, who also serves as the team president, earns $2.5 million this year. His contract runs another season.

The trouble began two weeks ago. After a game in Cleveland on Dec. 8, Nuggets guard Nick Van Exel went public with his demand to be traded, saying he was tired of losing and that the team had made no strides to improve in his four seasons here. Van Exel also vaguely criticized the Denver coaching staff.

Three nights later, Issel made an insensitive ethnic remark to a fan after a game against Charlotte. Responding to a taunt from the fan, Issel yelled back, "Go drink another beer, you Mexican ... ," adding an expletive.

The next day, the team suspended Issel for four games without pay, costing him more than $112,000.

Then, with Issel scheduled to return to the bench for a home game against Golden State on Saturday night, Vandeweghe announced just 40 minutes before tipoff that Issel had requested and was granted a paid leave of absence.

Vandeweghe said Issel hinted at delaying his return on Friday, but didn't inform him that he wanted a leave of absence until late Saturday afternoon.

Nuggets players, expecting Issel to be back on the bench, were informed of the change of plans during their pregame meal.

Golden State coach Brian Winters, whose team would go on to beat the Nuggets 105-101 Saturday night, said he "didn't know until I walked out on the court. I had expected Dan to coach, and he wasn't here.

"They've had so much turmoil around here that I wasn't sure what I was going to get. You just don't know how much that's going to affect their team."

After the game, the Nuggets were divided about whether Issel's decision affected their play.

"It was a little letdown," forward Raef LaFrentz said. "We were excited to see Dan come back. Now I don't know when he's coming back. ... It hasn't ended yet, so we will just have to ride it out and play basketball."

Van Exel was noncommittal.

"I don't know if it affected us tonight," he said, "but situations happen and we are professionals and we still have to come out and perform. I really don't know if everybody was bothered by it."

Forward George McCloud was surprised by the decision given Issel's mood at practice two days earlier.

"I had no idea at all," McCloud said. "He was upbeat, he seemed to be motivated to put (the suspension) behind him.

"For whatever reason in the last day or so, I don't know if he had a change of mind or if he needs a couple of extra days to just weigh everything. I'm sure he will let us know before we get back from Christmas."

So what happened in those two days?

Issel, profoundly dejected and embarrassed by the incident, had apparently made peace with the Hispanic community with a series of apologies. Most Hispanic leaders said they forgave him.

Although Issel insisted "that is not the person I am," the public perception lingered of a coach who made a racial slur in a heated moment.

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2001/1222/1300423.html