1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As The Nuggets Turn.....

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Nuggets4, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Clyde's not coaching here. He's WAY down the list of cantidates. I might be ahead of Clyde in fact. :D

Desert Scar,

Great point. This is such a confusing situation. I know Issel personally (I used to cover the team as some know), and while he's a crappy coach, he is a good human being. This is very un-Dan-like. Definate heat of the moment. Anyone that saw his press conference knows he was truly upset about this.

2. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

They just showed it on TNT before the Wizards, Heat game. He said something like 'go drink your beer you -----ing peace of mecian s----.'

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Same thing. He used the guy's race in a dirisive manner, just because he didn't use a "bad word" doesn't make it any better.

4. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I saw his apoligy and IMO he didn't really sound like he was sorry for saying it, but that it was caught on camera and aired to the world.

5. Nuggets4

Uh, Pimp, not to be rude, but which part didn't you believe? The part where he almost started crying? The part where he had to leave the stage? Or the part where he abandoned his prepared statement (which I have a copy of) and spoke from teh heart.

By the way, latest that I've heard is Issel will serve the suspension, then immediately step down. In the mean time, the team will decide whether to go from within (Mike Evans? John McLeod?) or look elsewhere (Van Gundy?) and reach an agreement on Issel's contract buyout.

6. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I'd like to take back my previous post. The previous apoligy I saw was a quick snippet that was cut off before the emotion really hit him. He was obviously hurt by his own words and I think was sincere in his apoligy. Unfortunately there are going to be alot of people out for his job and he probably will be asked to resign or fired.

7. Nuggets4

I think he was debating about resigning anyway before this. He reportedly spent some time in the mountains with his wife this weekend to just "get away". Like I said, I believe they're discussing the contract buy out as we speak anyway.

Hopefully he'll go back to Kentucky, spend some time on his horse ranch and just enjoy retirement.

8. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

D*mn it! I was hoping we could convince him to trade us LaFrentz/McDyess for Cato/Rice before he left. RealGM confirms that the trade would work, so it was definitely a possibility.

:D :p :D :p :D :p

Houston trades: Kelvin Cato $6,048,000 to Denver
    Houston trades: Glen Rice $8,800,000 to Denver
    TOTAL: $14,848,000

Denver trades: Raef LaFrentz $3,755,142 to Houston
    Denver trades: Antonio McDyess $11,700,000 to Houston
    TOTAL: $15,455,142

TRADE ACCEPTED

For those that don't get it, this is meant as a joke.

9. ScreamingRocketJet

Van Exel may have made matter harder than Vandeweghe thinks as he has been quoted taking shots at Denver's head coach Dan Issel, telling media "I ain't learned one new thing about the game of basketball in four years. Not one thing new."

I don't see how any coach / boss / anyone can back up after a comment like that. :eek:

10. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

i cant believe these guys make the same amount of money.

11. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

They said this morning on ESPN radio that if he had used the "N" word or even just said "Black" in place of "Mexican" the Nuggets would have been forced to fire him.

I don't know...thoughts?

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Its a very touchy issue but If he would have been talking to a black person I would think he would have been fired , I think he should be fired anyways .

13. Live

Live Member

Unfortunately, I must admit that ESPN has a point.

As if one totally inappropriate racial slur is worse than another.

14. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

People are too touchy these days.

What's wrong with calling someone Mexican or black? It's not like that's a bad thing.

I wouldn't be offended if someone called me a Canadian piece of sh*t.

And don't tell me it was wrong because his remark insinuated that all Mexicans are pieces of sh*t, because that's a load of baloney.

Bottom line: he should be penalized for the "piece of sh*t" part, but not for the "Mexican" part.

15. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Umm, no. It is the context of the words together, you can't simply break them apart to determine whether the individual components are racist, or at least demeaning.

16. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Mexican people can be pieces of sh*t too, y'know.

17. Legendary21

Legendary21 Member

Race, race, race... You americans see nothing else. As far as I now "mexican" is a nationality. I can see the explicit part ("piece of ****"), but I expect the fan was human by race.
    Yes what Issel said was offensive and racist, but he shouldn´t resign because of it. He should resign because he´s a very bad basketball coach.

18. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

"Mexican" as word is not usually offensive, it doesn't describe a race anyway but a nationality or possibly ethnicity (e.g., Mexican American has cultural meaning, but does not describe race). However you could use "Mexican" in an offensive way, for example, calling an American with Mexican/Spanish decent or a Puerto Rican a "Mexican" because they might have brown skin (they don't have to be).

If he called a person a piece of sh**, well, we probably would be hearing nothing of this comment. But you add a decriptor that describes a specific group like "white"/"black"/"Mexican"/"Christian"/"Jew" in front of it the insult has additional prejudical undertones. Why else would the extra word be put in there, is that so hard to see?

19. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

20. Nuggets4

Yeah, it's really not pretty here right now.