1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Article] 2010 NBA Offseason: Grading Every Team's Signings, Trades, and More

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by OkayAyeReloaded, Jul 19, 2010.

1. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

2. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Article Quote:

The 2010 NBA offseason could officially mark the period in which the NBA supplanted Major League Baseball as America's second sport.

The LeBron James saga captivated the nation up until the very moment "The Decision" came.

From there, the aftermath of LeBron's decision to "take his talents to South Beach" became the sports world's biggest story.

Jerseys burned effigy, calls for collusion investigations were made and analysts wondered aloud whether James' reputation could ever recover.

Now that the scorn is starting to heal throughout the Greater Ohio area and the analysts realize that the criticism has gone too far, we are now focused on what we should have focused on all along: How great can the Miami Heat be? Could they win 72 games? Is the Laker dynasty done?

With the 2010-2011 NBA season still months away, we are left pondering more questions about the offseason.

What teams were the winners? What teams were the losers? What teams made really horrible decisions that were overshadowed by LeBronmania?

Well, that's why I am here. Class is in session, and here are the grades for every team's 2010 offseason (in reverse order of regular season record).
    New Jersey Nets

Key Offseason Acquisitions: Derrick Favors, Travis Outlaw, Anthony Morrow, Johan Petro, Jordan Farmar

Key Offseason Losses: Chris Douglas-Roberts, Yi Jianlian

New Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov's first NBA off-season came and went with a whimper.

Promising Nets fans a championship within five seasons, Prokhorov had the same goal as every other team with cap space this offseason: sign LeBron James.

Following a meeting that was simply a courtesy to friend and Nets co-owner Jay-Z, LeBron left New Jersey's "Blueprint for Greatness" offer on the table and "took his talents to South Beach."

Although no one truly expected New Jersey to land LeBron James, it was widely assumed one star would make the trip to the Garden State.

It just never happened.

Considering the 2010 NBA offseason anything but an abject failure for the Nets franchise is just wrong, especially considering the awful contracts doled out in the aftermath of striking out with big names.

Grade: D
    Minnesota Timberwolves

Key Offseason Acquisitions: Michael Beasley, Wesley Johnson, Martell Webster, Luke Ridnour, Lazar Hayward, Darko Milicic (re-signed)

Key Offseason Losses: Al Jefferson

Timberwolves GM David Kahn was at it again this offseason, acquiring five swingmen, giving Darko $20 million, signing yet another point guard, and trading the team's best player all under the team's newfound "running" strategy.

Despite more countless head-scratching moves, the Beasley trade was an equal stroke of genius and luck; therefore, Minnesota's offseason cannot be considered a complete failure.

Although skeptics can argue that acquiring another talented player who plays the same position as their top five draft pick is just another instance of "Kahny being Kahny."

Grade: D+
    Sacramento Kings

Key Offseason Acquisitions: DeMarcus Cousins, Hassan Whiteside

Key Offseason Losses: None

How you judge the Kings' offseason solely depends on how you judge their draft.

Many feel that Sacramento is taking too many "at-risk" players, setting themselves up for a Jailblazer-like future atmosphere.

I don't see it that way.

While the team may have the maturity of the 'special' class from season four of "The Wire," it also has the potential of Namond Brice—a troubled student in the 'special' and child of Wee-Bey (a former hit-man in the Barksdale drug organization who is serving life in prison) with "the potential to be anything he wants."

The Kings, like Namond, have the potential to be as great as they want. In Cousins, Sacramento finds a guaranteed future 20-10 guy with the potential for perennial MVP chatter. In Whiteside, the Kings find a raw, but unbelievably skilled defensive stalwart who can contribute right away.

Some may disagree, but I loved Sacramento's offseason.

B
    Washington Wizards

Key Offseason Acquisitions: John Wall, Kirk Hinrich, Kevin Seraphin

Key Offseason Losses: Josh Howard, Mike Miller, Randy Foye

A massive rebuilding process has begun in our nation's capital, and there was no better draft choice in the 2010 NBA Draft than Kentucky point guard John Wall to begin that long road.

While Wall's presence won't instantly add 15+ wins to the team's total like transcendent stars LeBron James or Carmelo Anthony, his unquestioned status as "the Man" in Washington is going to immensely speed up Wall's mental growth process.

In addition to Wall, Washington also landed its other two offseason acquisitions for absolutely nothing. In Kirk Hinrich, the Wizards get a proven team-first guy who can lighten the point guard load when Wall struggles. In Seraphin, the team gets a relative unknown, but with a Serge Ibaka-like potential.

Excellent offseason in D.C.

Grade: A-
    Golden State Warriors

Key Offseason Acquisitions: David Lee, Ekpe Udoh, Charlie Bell, Dan Gadzuric

Key Offseason Losses: Corey Maggette, Anthony Morrow, Kelenna Azubuike, Anthony Randolph, Ronny Turiaf

The Golden State Warriors' organization is a certifiable mess. Any other classification is just plain wrong.

Many in the media are wondering aloud if the Warriors could be the NBA's sleeper team of 2010-2011—a notion that I do not remotely understand.

Other than point guard Steph Curry, Golden State is a team sorely lacking in elite talent. And yes, I'm including the Warriors' "marquee" $80 million signing of David Lee. While I love Lee as a 15-8-4 type contributor on a contender, the notion that you can have a successful team with David Lee as your second banana is plain wrong.

Couple that with the Warriors shipping out their second best young player (Anthony Randolph) and replacing him with an older, less athletic, and now injured defensive stopper with the No. 6 overall pick makes the Lee sign-and-trade seem even worse.

Those of you among us who are expecting anything more than 35 wins from the Warriors this season will be sorely mistaken.

Philadelphia 76ers

Key Offseason Acquisitions: Evan Turner

While the 76ers have been feverishly active on the trade rumor mill, there has been no fire to any of the smoke created thus far.

Therefore, Philly's offseason comes down to your feelings on No. 2 overall selection Evan Turner.

My thoughts (taken from my 2010 NBA Draft Guide): "Turner is the only player in this draft who I feel 100 percent certain about being a future All-Star.

Under no possible circumstances can I see Evan Turner being a failure at the NBA level, for he just does too many things exceptionally. He's a great rebounder, slasher, defender, passer, and ball handler.

Despite his greatness in many areas, Turner also has glaring weaknesses in his game—notably being turnover prone and having no three-point shot to speak of.

The great thing about these weaknesses? They are easily fixable.

Turner will never be the best player in the game, but ten years of top-15 is not out of the question.

Career Projection: Five-to-seven All-Star Appearances. Second-best player on a couple of championship teams."

Based on my opinion, the Sixers' offseason was a rousing success. Although an Iguodala trade needs to happen for Turner to fully take the reins.

Grade: B+
    Detroit Pistons

Key Offseason Acquisitions: Greg Monroe, Terrico White, Ben Wallace (re-signed)

Key Offseason Losses: None,

I am one of very few people who disliked Detroit's draft night. I felt as though the team went in the complete opposite direction of team president Joe Dumars' stated goal of regaining the team's pre-2008 toughness.

In Monroe, the team got an unbelievably skilled but soft big man, and in White the team got yet another combo guard with a lackadaisical indifference on the defensive end.

My stance has softened a bit upon further examination, but I still think Florida State center Solomon Alabi should be wearing Pistons blue in Rookie League as we speak.

As it stands, the Detroit Pistons organization looks as if it lacks a plan. And, as I have always said, I can respect a team with a bad plan. But a team so incompetent that it can't even muster a stated plan and stick with it gets no respect.

Grade: C-
    Los Angeles Clippers

Key Offseason Acquisitions: Randy Foye, Ryan Gomes, Al-Farouq Aminu, Eric Bledsoe

Key Offseason Losses: Steve Blake, Drew Gooden, Travis Outlaw

We go from a team with absolutely no organizational plan to a team with quite possibly its first successful organizational plan in the works.

The Clippers didn't throw themselves into the over-spending fray, instead opting for cheap role players who fit a specific purpose. The team continued its recent draft excellence, adding two defensive stalwarts with future All-Star potential. And, most importantly, the team hired a coach in Vinny Del Negro who Bulls players went to war for at the end of last season.

For the misguided, conjuring up Warrior hope while looking for a true sleeper in the Western Conference, they need to look no further than the Los Angeles Clippers.

New York Knicks

Key Offseason Acquisitions: Amar'e Stoudemire, Raymond Felton, Anthony Randolph, Timofey Mozgov, Kelenna Azubuike, Ronny Turiaf

Key Offseason Losses: David Lee, Chris Duhon, Sergio Rodriguez, Al Harrington, Tracy McGrady

In all honesty, my decision on a grade for the Knicks' offseason took me forever.

On one hand, it's an absolute failure. After years of promising LeBron or Wade to the city of New York, the team came back with a horrible $100 million Amar'e Stoudmire contract.

On the other hand, every single one of New York's other moves this offseason were fantastic.

In Raymond Felton, coach Mike D'Antoni finally gets a point guard who is perfect for excelling in his uptempo system. In Anthony Randolph, he gets a player with limitless potential who was grossly misused in Golden State.

Finally, in perhaps the shrewdest move of all, the Knicks signed Russian center Timofey Mozgov to a three-year/$9.7 million deal. Based on all accounts from scouts, Mozgov has the ability to step in right away and contribute at a moderately high level in the NBA.

And if Stoudemire does manage to coax Chris Paul and Carmelo Anthony to NYC, his monstrosity of a contract could prove well worth it.

Grade: B
    Indiana Pacers

Key Offseason Acquisitions: Paul George, Lance Stephenson

Key Offseason Losses: Luther Head

Indiana is another team whose activity in the trade market has garnered absolutely nothing. In search of a point guard since the conclusion of the 2010 NBA offseason, rumors linked the Pacers to names such as T'Wolves guard Jonny Flynn and now-Knicks guard Raymond Felton.

With their failure to acquire both, we can only judge the Pacers' offseason based on its draft picks. And with my assessment that Paul George is the No. 6 overall prospect of the 2010 NBA Draft, I cannot completely disregard the Pacers' offseason as a failure.

In addition, reports are that the draft process motivated Lance Stephenson and he is playing out of his mind now. Reports like that make me wonder if Indiana found its (non-gun-toting) version of Gilbert Arenas.

Grade: B-
    New Orleans Hornets

Key Offseason Acquisitions: Craig Brackins, Quincy Pondexter, Luther Head

Key Offseason Losses: Mo Peterson

The New Orleans Hornets are an organization in disarray. Their best player is not-so-subtly pushing for a trade to the Big Apple, the franchise is in financial ruin, and their city is suffering from yet another disaster.

Despite that, the Hornets drafted two NBA-ready contributors and rid themselves of Mo Peterson's $6.4 million price tag.

All told, the Hornets' offseason was a strange combination of dormant and captivating.

For now, the team looks better than last season's version. But if the team breaks down and trades their superstar point guard, I might have to do some re-grading.

Grade: C
    Toronto Raptors

Key Offseason Acquisitions: Ed Davis, Solomon Alabi, Amir Johnson (re-signed), Leandro Barbosa, Dwayne Jones

Key Offseason Losses: Chris Bosh, Hedo Turkoglu

Mixed bag all around for Toronto this offseason.

While no one can truly fault the team for Chris Bosh's departure (he never considered staying), crafting a $34 million contract for Amir Johnson to replace Bosh is absolutely ludicrous. Add in the fact that the team already drafted its supposed Bosh replacement in Ed Davis makes the Johnson contract even more ridiculous.

Toronto wasn't just signing ridiculous contracts this offseason—they were also ridding themselves of their most atrocious contract. Toronto's trade of Hedo Turkoglu was not only shrewd financially, but also shrewd basketball wise as it netted them next season's team-leading scorer in Leandro Barbosa.

Basically, the Raptors' offseason is summed up by equal parts idiocy and genius.

Memphis Grizzlies

Key Offseason Acquisitions: Xavier Henry, Greivis Vasquez, Rudy Gay (re-signed), Tony Allen

Key Offseason Losses: Ronnie Brewer

Name one person (other than his mother) who thought Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace was capable of assembling one of the best young nuclei in the NBA post-Pau Gasol trade.

Well, whether it is by sheer luck or shrewd maneuvering, that's exactly what Wallace has done in Memphis.

While most agree that Rudy Gay was handsomely overpaid this offseason, isn't the extra $15 million worth it? Considering the alternative is first round pick Xavier Henry playing out-of-position and being swallowed up by NBA swingmen, I say it is.

In addition, the Grizzlies also aptly replaced defensive stopper Ronnie Brewer with Kobe Bryant's Finals nemesis Tony Allen. If Allen can keep his mental mistakes to a minimum, his signing will prove one of the shrewdest of the offseason.

Chicago Bulls

Key Offseason Acquisitions: Carlos Boozer, Kyle Korver, J.J. Redick (pending decision by Orlando on whether to match offer)

Key Offseason Losses: Kirk Hinrich, Hakim Warrick

While Chicago lost out on its goal of forming a superteam built around a Rose-LeBron/Wade-Bosh trio, the team hit the ground running in the aftermath of "The Decision" with the signing of Carlos Boozer.

While Boozer isn't an $80 million player in most eyes, he brings an All-Star mentality and a winning attitude acquired from playing for Jazz coach Jerry Sloan.

In addition to Boozer, the Bulls added gunner Kyle Korver and are seemingly on the verge of officially adding J.J. Redick.

Chicago's offseason may not create a championship-winning dynasty as hoped, but it has vaulted them into the top four teams in the suddenly loaded Eastern Conference.

Houston Rockets

Key Offseason Acquisitions: Patrick Patterson, Kyle Lowry

With the return of guard Kyle Lowry and the expected return of forward Luis Scola, next season's Rockets team's main addition is the return of center Yao Ming.

While it remains to be seen whether Yao can maintain health for a full season, the Rockets showed an ability to win even in his absence. Therefore, any contribution Yao makes is a positive.

In addition, the team added to its stable of team-first workhorses who do the little things to win in Kentucky forward Patrick Patterson. Nothing Patterson does is exceptional or All-Star worthy, but he is a 10-year contributor in the making and an excellent lead-by-example type of player.

Another solid, yet unspectacular offseason for Rockets GM Daryl Morey.

Charlotte Bobcats

Key Offseason Acquisitions: Tyrus Thomas (re-signed), Matt Carroll, Erick Dampier (expected to be cut), Shaun Livingston

Key Offseason Losses: Raymond Felton, Tyson Chandler

A playoff team for the first time in franchise history last season, the 2010-2011 Charlotte Bobcats are in store for a much tougher road if the roster stands pat.

With the departure of point guard Raymond Felton, the Bobcats are now relying on first round disappointment D.J. Augustin to take his game to a new level.

Furthermore, if Charlotte is unable to flip Dampier's contract for usable parts, the team suddenly has a gaping hole in the middle of its front-line.

After a few years of smart trades with Charlotte, Michael Jordan seemingly has reverted to his incompetent days from Washington.

Milwaukee Bucks

Key Offseason Acquisitions: Larry Sanders, Drew Gooden, John Salmons, Corey Maggette

Key Offseason Losses: Charlie Bell, Dan Gadzuric

The 2009-2010 NBA season's unheralded surprise team has also secretively had one of its best offseasons as well.

With Drew Gooden and Corey Maggette, Milwaukee is getting two former knuckleheads whose maturation has been evident recently. In re-signing John Salmons, the team penned one of the offseason's best value contracts.

(Someone look at the stats and tell me how Salmons makes over $80 million less than Joe Johnson.)

Drafting Larry Sanders, while questioned by some at the time, was a great move. Sanders is a fantastic energy guy who never stops hustling—a.k.a. an instant Scott Skiles favorite.

For a team that made so many solid additions to make so few subtractions is marvelous.

Great job by GM John Hammond.

Miami Heat

3. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Article Quote 2:

Miami Heat

Key Offseason Acquisitions: LeBron James, Dwyane Wade (re-signed), Chris Bosh, Udonis Haslem (re-signed), Mike Miller, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Dexter Pittman

Key Offseason Losses: Michael Beasley, Jermaine O'Neal, Quentin Richardson, Daequan Cook

"Miami Thrice," the Super Best Friends Club, the "Three Kings," or whatever four-letter word you want to call them, the three-headed monster of LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Chris Bosh stole the 2010 NBA offseason.

But we all know the goal of the Super Best Friends Club is to win championships, not offseasons.

There have been countless columns regarding this matter, so I am not going to discuss the logistics of the three stars playing together. Just know that I think it's going to work, and I feel anyone who thinks otherwise is just in a malaise of hatred.

And as veterans continue taking less money to join the Heat, Miami's decision to put all of its eggs in a three-man basket is looking better than ever.

The 2010-2011 Miami Heat assembling is not nearly complete, but anyone with a brain knows its grade is.

Grade: A
    Oklahoma City Thunder

Key Offseason Acquisitions: Cole Aldrich, Tibor Pliess, Daequan Cook, Mo Peterson

OKC General Manager Sam Presti put the team in a beautiful position this offseason. With plenty of cap room, but not enough to sign a major free agent, Presti simply poached usable role players with expiring contracts to surround superstar Kevin Durant.

But the Thunder's greatest offseason move did not involve an acquisition or poaching, it involved retention. With Kevin Durant's five-year, $85 million contract extension, Oklahoma City officially announced itself as players in the 2011 free agent market.

Regardless of whether the security of Durant's extension actually lands a star or not, simply retaining Durant is enough for celebration in Thunder nation.

San Antonio Spurs

Key Offseason Acquisitions: James Anderson, Tiago Splitter

Always solid, but unspectacular, Spurs management was at it again during the 2010 NBA offseason.

In James Anderson, the Spurs get an NBA-ready two guard whose talent far exceeds his No. 20 draft position.

The Spurs' biggest coup of the 2010 NBA offseason actually started with the No. 28 selection in the 2007 NBA Draft. With that selection, the Spurs selected two-time Spanish Supercup MVP Tiago Splitter, a 6'11" forward from Brazil.

Three years later, the Spurs and Splitter finally came to terms on a contract to bring Splitter to the States. It is San Antonio's hope that Splitter can step in right away and contribute like former foreign-fliers turned NBA stars Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili.

According to all scouting reports and Splitter's play in the Spanish League (2010 MVP), look for San Antonio to hit the jackpot on another foreign import.

Portland Trailblazers

Key Offseason Acquisitions: Wesley Matthews, Luke Babbitt, Elliot Williams, Armon Johnson

Key Offseason Losses: Martell Webster

While Portland's roster is set up for playoff appearances for years to come, the man who set up the roster, former GM Kevin Pritchard, was unceremoniously sent packing this offseason.

Since Pritchard's departure following the 2010 NBA Draft, Portland has made just one move, signing Wesley Matthews to a five-year, $34 million contract.

If that move is a sign of things to come, then Blazers fans should prepare for a return to incompetency. I don't know what world Wesley Matthews is worth $34 million in, but I doubt it's one any of us live in.

Combining Pritchard's firing, mediocre drafting, and Matthews' signing together makes grading Portland's offseason one of the easiest grades of the article.

Grade: D-
    Boston Celtics

Key Offseason Acquisitions: Paul Pierce (re-signed), Ray Allen (re-signed), Jermaine O'Neal, Avery Bradley

Key Offseason Losses: Rasheed Wallace, Tony Allen

Boston's version of the "Big Three" brought the band back together for one last run at a championship this offseason.

It's really too bad they did so before Miami created its "Big Three."

While still an elite team, it's tough to imagine the Celtics defeating a loaded Miami Heat squad over a seven-game series.

Regardless of whether Boston will defeat the "Miami Thrice," their offseason moves put the team in a place to have a chance—a statement which cannot be made about many other teams.

Also, I absolutely loved the pick of Texas guard Avery Bradley. He can step in right away and create a spark that was often lacking in the Celtics' offense.

Good offseason for Danny Ainge, but I have serious doubts regarding whether it was good enough.

Utah Jazz

Key Offseason Acquisitions: Al Jefferson, Gordon Hayward

Key Offseason Losses: Carlos Boozer, Kyle Korver

On paper Utah's offseason moves look relatively lateral. It's arguable whether Boozer or Jefferson is better and while Hayward has the potential to eclipse Korver, it's doubtful he does so in year one.

Only when looking past paper numbers can you see why Utah got exponentially better with the Al Jefferson-Carlos Boozer swap. With Jefferson, Utah gets low-post banger who will eat up rebounds and create a diversion to Utah's pick-and-roll.

While Boozer was a prototypical pick-and-roll power forward, Paul Millsap has shown the ability to ably step in when Boozer was injured.

And getting Jefferson for Kosta Kufos and draft picks was an absolute joke.

If I'm in Vegas now and am looking for an underdog selection to win the Western Conference, Utah is my no-brainer selection.

Denver Nuggets

Key Offseason Acquisitions: Al Harrington

It is unfathomable to me why Al Harrington—not Shaquille O'Neal—is currently a Denver Nugget.

Denver's biggest weakness is a lackadaisical malaise on defense and lack of post presence, yet management's solution is a baby's-bottom soft swingman who enters the paint about twice a season?

Don't get me wrong, I respect Al Harrington as a player, but he's absolutely the wrong fit for Denver's needs.

Perhaps O'Neal rebuffed attempts from Nuggets brass for a meeting, but until that report comes out, Denver's only signing of the 2010 NBA offseason is a bust.

Atlanta Hawks

Key Offseason Acquisitions: Joe Johnson, Jordan Crawford

On the bright side, the Hawks fired inept coach Mike Woodson, re-signed their best player and drafted an instant contributor who has Sixth Man of the Year potential.

Sadly that's where the bright side ends for Atlanta this offseason.

Woodson's replacement was the lead assistant on the staff which the players quit on last season during the 2010 NBA Playoffs. Their re-signed best player was at the forefront of the quitting and insulting the Hawks' entire fan-base and Atlanta still gave Joe Johnson $120 million.

Couple that with the team's ill-fated attempts to sign Shaquille O'Neal, and it's clearly evident that the entire Hawks organization is a dysfunctional group bound for failure.

Phoenix Suns

Key Offseason Acquisitions: Hedo Turkoglu, Hakim Warrick, Channing Frye (re-signed)

Key Offseason Losses: Amar'e Stoudemire, Leandro Barbosa, Dwayne Jones

There is absolutely no questioning that the Western Conference Finalists come out of the 2010 NBA Offseason a much worse team than it began the period.

With the departure of Amar'e Stoudemire, the Suns not only lose the team's second best player, but a perfect complementary No. 2 for Steve Nash in Phoenix's uptempo system.

Regardless, Suns management has no control over Amar'e's decisions and their moves in the wake of Stoudemire's departure have been excellent.

While not nearly as talented as Stoudemire, Hakim Warrick has a perfect skill-set to flourish in Phoenix. His athleticism and ability to run the floor sets up perfectly for a career-year in his first year playing with Steve Nash.

As for Turkoglu, the much-maligned former golden boy of the 2009 NBA free agent class, what Phoenix reaps from his acquisition remains to be seen.

If Turkoglu finds a semblance of his 2008-2009 form, then the Suns walk away look as if they fleeced the Raptors. If not, the trade sticks Phoenix with an albatross of a contract for the next four years.

And we all know how much Robert Sarver likes spending money...

Dallas Mavericks

Key Offseason Acquisitions: Dirk Nowitzki (re-signed), Brendan Haywood (re-signed), Tyson Chandler, Dominique Jones

Key Offseason Losses: Erick Dampier

Mavs owner Mark Cuban began the 2010 NBA offseason with the pipe-dream of flipping Erick Dampier's non-guaranteed contract for a superstar to pair with Dirk Nowitzki.

In the end, Dampier's contract netted the team Tyson Chandler. No disrespect to Chandler, but are we even sure he's much better than Dampier? Had Dallas simply released Dampier, they assuredly could have re-signed him at a cost lower than Chandler's $12 million figure for 2010-2011.

However, as we all know, Cuban isn't too worried about the money. It's his greatest virtue, but also his greatest curse, as evidenced by Brendan Haywood's shiny new $55 million contract.

Am I the only one who feels that Haywood's contract is quickly going to turn into Erick Dampier's contract 2.0?

The only true 100 percent positive move for the Mavs this offseason was re-signing franchise cornerstone Dirk Nowitzki.

I root for Cuban and Nowitzki because of the 2006 NBA Finals screw-job, but this marriage is doomed to die a slow and painful death.

The 2010 offseason was just another nail in that coffin.

Los Angeles Lakers

Key Offseason Acquisitions: Steve Blake, Derek Fisher (re-signed), Shannon Brown (soon-to-be re-signed)

Key Offseason Losses: Jordan Farmar

Sometimes the best moves are no moves at all. Or, in the case of the Lakers, one minor, yet incredibly shrewd move.

In my article ranking the top 10 moves of the 2010 NBA offseason, I ranked the Lakers' signing of point guard Steve Blake to an incredibly cheap (four-years, $16 million) contract No. 3.

Blake provides the Lakers with an excellent alternative in case Derek Fisher's playoff heroics were a mirage and his skill level is actually more like the Fisher we saw during the regular season.

Whether or not Fisher's skills have eroded, his re-signing was another great move for the Lakers. His leadership and respect garnered in the huddle makes him well worth the $10 million price tag.

Overall, the Lakers did nothing to change their status as favorites in the Western Conference.

Orlando Magic

Key Offseason Acquisitions: Chris Duhon, Quentin Richardson, Daniel Orton

Key Offseason Losses: J.J. Redick (if Orlando refuses to match Chicago offer sheet)

Last season the Orlando Magic stole the offseason spotlight trading for perennial All-Star Vince Carter and signing Marcin Gortat and Brandon Bass to massive deals.

While rumors floated about a possible Gilbert Arenas trade, Orlando stayed quiet throughout the 2010 NBA offseason, making relatively under-the-radar signings in an off-season polluted with front-page headlines.

In point guard Chris Duhon, Orlando gets a capable back-up point guard to Jameer Nelson—even if his $16 million contract is ridiculous.

The Magic also made a questionable move on draft day, drafting Kentucky center Daniel Orton. If his rookie league play is any indication for future performance, Orton should get used to spending his time giving high fives.

The team grade only improves if Orlando matches Chicago's offer sheet to guard J.J. Redick.

Cleveland Cavaliers

Key Offseason Acquisitions: None

Key Offseason Losses: LeBron James, Zydrunas Ilgauskis

Sifting through the array of things that went wrong for the Cleveland Cavaliers this offseason would take hours.

Out of respect for the angst Cavaliers fans have gone through over the past week, I cannot list the systematic process of heartbreak the city has gone through this summer.

All NBA fans know that it's a long road back to recovery from "The Decision" for the Cavs, but the NBA also just found its favorite underdog for the foreseeable future.

Well, as long as Dan Gilbert ceases his Mel Gibson-like rants.

Grade: F

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

eh...it's just some random guy.

i stopped paying attention when he didn't give miami an A++++++ for getting the big 3, miller, and retaining haslem.

5. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

1- bleacher report
    2- 30+ page slideshow