1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Artest gets MRI on ankle

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gfab-babyboi, Dec 9, 2008.

1. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

(Chron) Rockets notes: Artest gets MRI on ankle

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6156241.html

The Rockets on Tuesday learned more about the continuing soreness in Ron Artest’s right ankle. What they can do about it, however, has not changed.

An MRI performed Tuesday revealed that Artest has two slightly torn ligaments in his ankle, a pre-existing condition that Rockets trainer Keith Jones said looks to be the result of years playing on concrete. His sprained ankle Nov. 16th caused swelling that aggravates the damaged ligaments, causing some of his difficulties since the injury.

Artest will continue to play or rest based on how the ankle responds.

"I have to take the doctor’s advice," Artest said. "He said, ‘If you feel good, it is something you can play on. If it doesn’t feel good, you don’t have to play.’ Sometime I’ll take a little more rest. I want to see what the doctor said, what was his advice. It’ll be sore. Hopefully, when Mac (Tracy McGrady) gets back I can take more time and get better."

Artest sat out Monday’s game, the first game he has missed this season. The Rockets have another back-to-back this week and three more after that later in the month.

"I’m going to try," Artest said of playing Friday and Saturday. "I’m going to do what I can do. I’m definitely not going to overdo it. I’m going to just be smart about it. I definitely don’t want to sit out multiple games."

Rockets coach Rick Adelman said he could relate to Artest’s pain, but expects Artest to keep him informed.

"I think about all the strained ligaments I had a long time ago," Adelman said. "They really bother me today. I can only go by how he feels. I’m sure if he had that from years past and then you turn your ankle, you’re going to have more problems than if you just did it. But I know Ron will try to play. Usually you can tell by how he’s moving.

"You just have to trust that the player is going to tell you the truth about how he is feeling. There is no magic serum you can give him. You have to watch and see how he feels. He has to be honest about how he is feeling day in, day out."

2. RocketsFan11

RocketsFan11 Member

So looks like Artest fits right in!!!

An MRI on Tuesday revealed that Ron Artest has two slightly torn ligaments in his ankle. He will continue to play or rest based on how the ankle responds.

"Hopefully when Mac (Tracy McGrady) gets back I can take more time and get better," said Artest, who will try to play on Friday and Saturday. The ligament damage is a pre-existing condition that was aggravated by swelling from his recent ankle sprain.

NICE. He fits in PERFECTLY with Yao and TMAC on the all fragile team.

3. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

Damn this is bad new. Why does this always happen to our team? I just don't get it we can't have a healthy season to save our lives.

4. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

the good thing is ron doesn't rely on his athleticism to play. so i don't think it will be that much of a problem.

if anything, it will hopefully limit his recklessness and trying to do everything attitude (like he is doing tonight to perfection).

5. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

also, basically battier, tracy, and ron will take turns resting for their injuries.

battier rests, tracy plays.
    tracy rests, ron plays
    ron rests, tracy plays

god goodness

6. RocketsFan11

RocketsFan11 Member

yeah, excellent way to build team chemistry.

have a different lineup and rotation every single game.

unfortunately what looked like a VERY promising season is starting to look worse and worse...

7. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

The irony is that this sarcastic thread title...actually perfectly applies now...huh.

One good game doesn't make a season. But I think Ron is starting to get the hang of it. And he's shown he can impose his will on the game.

8. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

ron was a warrior tonight.

9. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

repost

10. pollaxt

pollaxt Contributing Member

A sprain by definition suggests partially torn ligaments so I don't see any major cause for worry.

11. bushbush1988

bushbush1988 Member

man....i hope the rest of the team responds, plays better, so ron can get some rest for his ankle..

12. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

13. bucket

bucket Member

Well, crap.

14. rockingsoul

rockingsoul Contributing Member

Why couldn't keith jones find that out earlier? It was like 5 games ago when he twisted his ankles, and now about 1 and and half week later they finally did the MRI?

15. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

At least it is 'slightly' torn. Ron will be fine, he just needs to take week or so to sit and rest it.

Tracy, move your ass and come back healthly. There is a queue waiting

16. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

This is really a make or BREAK season for everyone on the team. Good grief. I love how Ron plays through it though.

We're built for the playoffs...we just have to squeak in first.

Cod

17. TracyMcGreat

TracyMcGreat Member

artest could have probably sat this one out as well. if only not for the debacle that was last night. so props for ron. but he shouldn't have to play.

yao needs to not step it up but find consistency this season. This goes for the starters and bench guys too. But, Yao should be the focal point while ron and mac are healing. Plus there veterans like shane and rafer. So it's not like we can't win a game without them. Not to mention scola, landry,brooks,wafer,and hayes. Thats a decent squad.

yao really needs to be in his 8-10 feet range or closer in and have more consistency this season. people always call yao weak but have you notice how huge his legs are? that's power. all you need to do big fella is lower your body and push. I saw how you back downed Zaza (he flew like 4-6 inches). You got power use it. You got hop, you cant, jump, but u got power brah.

Ron Artest beasting in the 4th. Good night gents.

18. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

So Ron has torn ligaments and is playing his ass off, while T-Mac is not rehabbed enough?

:rolleyes:

Get yer ass out there Tracy.

19. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

20. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Member

Face it......this team is cursed. I'm just waiting for the annual Yao injury to pop up.