1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Arlington" Cowboys to get new stadium

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Faos, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news_800.cfm?id=FCC67448-DF4B-57EC-6ED651CA2A3D06FF

Nick Eatman
    DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
    Nov. 2, 2004, 11:57 p.m. (CDT)

ARLINGTON, Texas - For a team that has lived off winning big on Sundays, the Cowboys scored their biggest victory in their 44-year history on this Tuesday night.

The City of Arlington passed the vote to approve the tax-hike that would allow the city to fund its portion of the $650 million proposal to build the Cowboys a new stadium, which will be located just south of Ameriquest Field - home of the Texas Rangers - and is expected to be completed by 2009.

Arlington mayor Robert Cluck addressed the crowd of nearly a thousand supporters here at the watch party at the Wyndham Hotel with a rather short, but strong statement.

"Ladies and gentlemen . . . We Won!"

By a 54 to 46 percent vote, Arlington taxpayers voted "Yes" for a .5 percent sales and property tax that will allow the city to fund $325 million, with the Cowboys investing the other half. The plan also calls for the Cowboys to pay the city $2 million in yearly rent, starting in 2009 when the stadium is projected to be completed, along with a five-percent fee for any naming rights sold for the new stadium, which has been estimated to be as much as $500,000 a year.

Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones, who has been somewhat out of the spotlight during this campaign, has tried to stress all along the importance of what the stadium will mean to the city of Arlington. And Tuesday night, that stance didn't change.

"The Dallas Cowboys are one of the franchises in sports that have the great tradition, and I've never thought and said that I own the Dallas Cowboys," Jones said. "I just have a chance, like these great leaders, to husband it and carry the ball for a little while. I want you to know how proud I am not only to be standing on the stage with these leaders, but to be here with the citizens of Arlington, basically carrying the ball."

The 75,000-seat stadium, which can be expanded to a capacity 90,000, will include a retractable roof, unique open end zones to hold fans, state-of-the-art video boards and a Dallas Cowboys Hall of Fame museum where the franchise's history will be on display, certain to enhance the game-day experience.

"In the last 10 weeks we have witnessed the passion and the loyalty that the citizens of this city have for the place they call home, regardless of where you were on this issue," said Cowboys Chief Operating Officer Stephen Jones, who has spearheaded the Cowboys push for Arlington. "And we have an obligation to make this project work for the benefit of all citizens of this great city. I understand that emotion, because that's the way we feel about the Dallas Cowboys. And I can't think of a better place to bring our organization than right here in the heart of the Metroplex - Arlington, Texas . . . the new home of the Dallas Cowboys."

The Cowboys are hoping the new stadium will host several major sporting events, including the Super Bowl, as NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue visited the Arlington area two weeks ago and said it could be a possible host for a Super Bowl as early as 2010 or 2011.

The Cowboys are also hoping the stadium will host other major events such as the Bowl Championship Series in college football, as well as the annual Red River Shootout between Oklahoma and Texas, which has been held at the Cotton Bowl since 1929.

Mayor Cluck said while the campaign has been difficult at times for the entire city, he knows the hard part is truly just beginning.

And that's why he reached out to the entire city, to both the supporters and the even the citizens who voted against the stadium project.

"I'm asking every citizen in our city to come forward, let's work together, to make this a huge success," Cluck said. "And as I said, I will do everything I can to reach out to those who did not agree with this approach, and I want you to do the same thing because only by doing that - by having every citizen in this city working on this together - will we be eminently successful."

And that's what the Cowboys are counting on - a successful move from Irving, Texas, and Texas Stadium to Arlington in the next five years.

"What you need to hear from me is that when that stadium stands, it will be iron and it will be cement," Jerry Jones said. "But the thing that we want to bring is the thing that we'll start bringing tonight, and that's the emotion and the kind of emotion that sport, the kind of emotion that striving and blind faith, the kind of visibility that can make Arlington have those benefits that they should have when the Dallas Cowboys are calling Arlington home."

And because of Tuesday night's vote, the Cowboys know those days are just down the road.

2. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I'm sorry...I could honestly never attend a city counsel meeting in Arlington and hear the words "Mayor Cluck" without dying laughing.

3. esse

esse Contributing Member

BTW, My sister lives in Arlington and I'm going to the Monday night game week after next....

versus Philly:(:D

4. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Woot! I'm so glad it passed!!! :)

5. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

As much as I love the Texans and Reliant Stadium I'm betting this place will be sweet when it's finished. It also brings Dallas, er, Arlington into the Super Bowl rotation mix.

6. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

When did they change the name from the Ballpark in Arlington to Ameriquest Field?

7. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Irving Cowboys, Arlington Cowboys, Dallas Cowboys...who cares?
    any way you look at it:
    Texans 1
    Cowboys 0
    end of story.

actually, their stadium will rock. i always thought it ironic that "America's Team" had the absolute WORST stadium in the NFL. this new stadium will bring Super Bowls to Texas. what this means is LESS Super Bowls in Houston. new rotation: san diego, new orleans, LA, miami, jax, atlanta, detroit, AZ, houston, dallas. maybe: charlotte, indy, NY (jets new stadium.)

8. AGBee

AGBee Member

Right around the time that Ameriquest dropped off a buttload of money.

9. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

faos.. I thought it wouldn't bring them into the mix...

arlington is a little far from the rest of the action.... isn't it

10. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

That doesnt make a difference. Miami's stadium isn't exactly located at South Beach. It's out of the way from what I remember. The retractable roof is what will bring them the Super Bowl.

Hell, DETROIT is getting one next year!

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Detroit's new stadium is actually located Downtown.... but that won't matter if they don't put on a good show.

The NFL only goes to Miami because they're guaranteed warm weather and its a fun city.

And, there's plenty of room for both Houston and Dallas to be in the Super Bowl mix when you consider that San Diego and New Orleans will not be considered until you get new (or refurbished) stadiums in place, and Atlanta was so horrible the last time the NFL was there (2000) that it will be hard pressed to crack into the rotation again.

Besides, Houston threw such a good show that it would have been impossible to deny them.

12. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I'm so glad they're getting a new stadium...I just recently went to Texas Staduim for the first time and it sucked...It looks so much better on TV...However, after goint to Reliant, everything else sux...

btw, it is a bad deal for Arlington, but at least they get it...

13. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

There's plenty to do in Arlington...

14. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Read my sig.

15. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

I live in Dallas, a soon-to-be suburb of Arlington. Nice going to Mayor Laura Miller and our city leadership. :rolleyes:

D R

16. Earl Cureton

Earl Cureton Contributing Member

Nick Eatman and Megan Manfull.....think of the possibilities if these two were to meet.

17. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

This thread should be locked up just for the fact that it is about the Cowgirls.

18. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I t hought being close to downtown was a huge issue.. since that is where most of the festivities usually are?

19. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

I'm surprised that no one is bothered that PUBLIC monies are being used to support the building of a stadium for a PRIVATE franchise. Jerry Jones can't raise the money himself without duping the taxpayers into providing him with a little gift? A friend of mine from NO were talking and the discussion (I'm a closet Saints fan even though I cover the Falcons) got around to the 'Aints and a new stadium. I said that if the Saints want the taxpayers of Louisiana to buy them a new stadium or pay to renovate the Super Dome, they should tell Benson to shove it where the sun doth not shine. As pathetic as that team is, who cares if they leave?

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

In this case, the public $$$ is exactly why they're building in Arlington, and not Dallas. The Cowboys are lucky enough that they have big communities close enough to Dallas that are rich enough to put up the bill.

This wouldn't fly in Houston... unless you consider Sugarland or Galveston as viable "big" communities that could support a sports team.