1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Arlington Cowboys Stadium: New Standards in Extravagance

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by weslinder, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

No, just laughed at.

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

uh...uh...uh...romo sucks.
    :D

3. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lose by 2 points to a somewhat injured giants team, where you also commit 4 turnovers. besides that, a pretty convincing win against a sub par tampa bay team. i would say more than anything we are right where i thought we'd be after week two, 1-1.

it was ghettocheeze who brought the texans in to the picture, on page 14.

for the record i do think the cowboys have a better shot at making the playoffs (wild card) than the texans. i would love for both teams to make it, but i think the afc poses more challenges.

i included it in the overall price, just didn't list it there.

$75 ticket x2
    $12 parking
    $6-8 drink x2

puts you at $178... even if you had two drinks a piece you're under $200. i hardly see how that's breaking the bank.

4. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I'm neither unhappy or jealous. I just don't think it's worth it to pay $30 bucks to stand in a big crowd where I can't see anything. Now maybe if they limit the tickets sold, as to where you could actually see a TV and not the back of someone's head in a crowd then I can go with your "the atmosphere" example.

And the Cowboys haven't been a winning team for a while now. They haven't won a playoff game since the 90's, right? They also didn't make the playoffs last year and it wouldn't be suprising for them to miss it this season as well.

5. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

Of course this was three posts after you brought up whiny Houstonians on the same page. Enjoy your moral superiority.

6. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Cowboys fans still love to defend their monumental failure with their "history". I guess you guys like to pay ransom money so you could walk around the hallways and stare at the trophies and kiss the rings. Please stop, the debate was whether the premium being charged by the Cowboys is justified? Don't bring up lame arguments about the great things you guys did 15-20 years ago. Talk about what have you done lately, your team failed miserably against the Giants which was suppose to be your great moment in the limelight. Wanna know what the Texans did? They got their ass kicked in the first half by Chris Johnson but still kept their chin up and came back with fire and intensity to match pound for pound with one of the most physical teams in the NFL. Your team lacks heart and passion that is why failure never phases them anymore, it never lights a fire under them. Thats why Romo walks around like its no big deal after you drop a crucial division game or lose in the playoffs. We Texans on the other hand, are all too familiar with failure and disappointment thats why our QB and coach are humble and always take the blame for mistakes.

Get real man we are an EXPANSION team, we have nowhere to go but UP. You are a ancient relic, a giant fallen from the top of your mountain. That is why its my friendly advice to your owner and your fanbase to stop parading your past history in order to justify your current status. Things could get really bad for your team. Right now you are an average team every year, sometime you make the playoffs and get bounced but still you are close enough. In the time between you last Superbowl and now, you haven't seen rock bottom but with the direction your owner is taking, that possibility isn't too far away. Look at Al Davis and the Raiders, that could be you if your owner keeps treating its fans like peasants and tries to micromanage the entire organization.

1 person likes this.
  7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

8. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Excellent post!

9. ryan_98

Supporting Member

this thread is full of whiny houstonians. do you care to argue against the idea of houston having an inferiority complex when it comes to the press and sports?

if we are to let go of our past, i suppose the argument against mavs fans that we have two rings, and didn't choke in the finals should be let go as well. also, when do you let go that you're an expansion team?

10. SwoLy-D

We're both 1-1 and we both lost at home. If anything, we're even RIGHT NOW, but we don't let our fans cram into a small area to stand for hours to watch a TV screen for $29. STFU about records and playoffs and crap like that... this here thread is about your state-of-the-art monstrosity in which you are 0-1 On INAUGURATION NIGHT and WE are 1-0 against YOU... and that's FOREVER, sir. :eek:

1 person likes this.
  11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I don't guess you're very aware of the situation an expansion team faces.

Only 2 Texans remain from the inaugural team. (technically I could say 1, since it is highly possible Chester Pitts' career is now over)

Only something like 6-7 guys remain from the Dom Capers era.

That is an insane turnover rate. Higher than any other NFL team by miles.

When you're basically given the leftovers of the NFL scrapheap, you ain't gonna go waltzing into the playoffs any time soon... especially when you've played in one of the toughest divisions in the NFL the past decade...

The Cowboys, who had a 40 year headstart and have benefited from a substantially weaker division and conference, have no frickin' excuse to be so impotent...

#311 DonnyMost, Sep 25, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  12. ryan_98

Supporting Member

come again?

i'm just assuming you forgot about the 2006 season. week 6, 34-6.
    http://football.about.com/od/schedules/a/06sched_HOU.htm

i'm fairly certain my initial post was to set the record straight, to give my first hand experience. if people don't like the idea of SRO tickets, or having a limited view of the field then they will stay away. go to any number of sports bars on a saturday night when there is a big UFC or boxing match. many of them will charge a $20 cover. what is the difference here? how about a mosh pit at a concert? you're not guaranteed a great view.

i don't want to knock the texans mostly because i try to support all houston teams, but this will probably break that rule.

jacksonville made the playoffs in something like season 3, and the panthers made it in year 4 i believe. the texans are now in year 8, i would hardly say they have been given the leftovers.

i will give you the AFC being a better conference, but to say the AFC south has been the one of the toughest, and then say the nfc east is a substantially weaker division is plain wrong. for the last half of this decade, the nfc east has consistently been the stronger division of the two.

though, i agree with you, the cowboys shouldn't have been so full of choke the past few seasons. both teams, coaches, and (to a lesser degree) qb's are all on the clock. it's playoffs or bust.

13. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

To the best of my recollection, when the Jags and Panthers made their runs, they didn't exactly make it with the 2-3 years worth of draft picks they had before then. They made their runs with the vets they picked up in a substantially stronger supplemental draft. And subsequent to their rise, they both went in the toilet immediately after as those vets either left or got old.

Flash forward to the Texans. Their best year, year 3, they posted pretty respectable league stat rankings and a 7-9 record. Not playoff worthy, but then again this was in the middle of the apex of the AFC's domination of the NFC (which has come back down to earth recently). The Texans vets were let go, or left, etc. And guess what... they fall right off the cliff, too.

Granted, Casserly and Capers sucked balls at drafting and developing talent, and it hurt us and we can't exactly play that off like it wasn't something we weren't in control of, but expecting the Texans to be in the playoffs in the situation they were in from year 0-7 was pretty much lunacy.

The Cowboys have had many more chances, and blown them all... the Cowboys can't even claim scoreboard on the Texans either (1-1 last time I checked)... so when it comes to running Texans/Cowboys smack, I would tread extremely light, cause you're living in a house of glass with a giant scoreboard hanging in the middle blocking your punts...

14. Icehouse

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the league change the expansion rules after Jax and Carolina had so much quick success?

Additionally, stop calling someone whiny or jealous because they say they wouldn't want to pay to look at the back of someones head in a crowd. There is no way to not label the party pass idea as a failure for fans (great for the owners pockets though). Now if they limit tickets to prevent folks from standing in a fire hazard then we can come to a different conclusion. But it's not worth 30 to stand in a crowd where you can't even see a TV to see the game, and it doesn't take a jealous person to recognize that.

1 person likes this.
  15. ryan_98

Supporting Member

my guess, along with others, was wrong.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...stories/092509dnmetpartypasses.1b05c4093.html
    i will still ask, how is this party pass idea different from paying cover at a sports bar for a fight?

and, it is not like you aren't going to get a view of the field. my picture clearly shows a great view.

16. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Hello?? There was no one in front of you!!

Do you pay for parking at a sports bar? Do you drop 10 bucks on a beer? My god. Just realize this is not an argument you can win.

Party pass = mega fail

17. ryan_98

Supporting Member

ehh i'm not even sure what we are even talking about anymore. i know that i had a good time at the game and for me the party pass was a great way to catch the game, and it is something i would do again. but, certainly given the choice between a seat or SRO, the seat would win.

18. Icehouse

Paying cover for a sports bar means I'm expecting to look at a TV all night. Some of the folks that paid for the pass expected to see the field from standing distance. And some of those folks said they still couldn't see TV's because they were packed in.

And the youtube video shows no field, no clear TV shot and nothing but a sea of people to look at. Not to mention the folks who said they couldn't leave their area for fear of not getting it back, etc.

Give it up dude, there is no comparison. Maybe they will fix it going forward....

19. SwoLy-D

:rolleyes:
    OPENING/INAUGURATION game, you... :eek: will withhold the name calling... because:

Reliant Stadium First Ever Game
    Cowboys 10
    Texans 19

Cowboys Stadium First Ever Game
    Giants 33
    Cowboys 31

20. ryan_98

Supporting Member

i don't know what the total attendance number was for tonight, but on the mnf broadcast, i think tirico said it was about 13-17,000 less SRO tickets at the game. i would say the "problem" has been fixed without any intervention from JJ or the cowboys ticket office.

i think the concern over not being allow back in was blown out of proportion, and probably won't be a factor until deep in to the playoffs or the super bowl next year.

and outside of starting 0-1 in a new stadium inaugural games mean what???

how'd the texans look after starting 1-0? the texans beat a crummy 5-11 dallas team.

the giants loss, last week, was big because it was against a division rival, but it wasn't exactly a game you would have penciled in as a win before the season began.

2-1 is right where i had us at after 3 weeks.