1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ariza's last foul on Harden should have been an offensive foul?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Feb 13, 2014.

1. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

Ariza held onto Harden because he didn't want to lose him around the pick.

2. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Spacemoth makes a good point, the league is basically inviting embellishment of contact because it won't call stuff like this, it took Harden falling over which basically forced the refs to call a foul.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that if they didnt call it, it'd be more of the same, 'wow refs swallowing their whistles' stuff.

3. psingh34

psingh34 Member

they would not have won it fair and square had ariza actually not been fouling harden, yes he embellished the contact but there was contact for him to embellish. you cannot touch a player that far out on the court at all much less hold him with two hands. Ariza using that tactic was giving him an unfair advantage, just look at how wide open harden was when that tactic was not being used .

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Ariza was dumb in putting his left hand on Harden's back. It's a sure foul and was unnecessary. Harden was definitely going left to the top. No need to impede him going right.

5. LAYGO

LAYGO Contributing Member

So, what was this after the game?

[​IMG]

6. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Did you notice the Hitman (Garcia) was there protecting Morey's assets...;)

(P.S.) He was telling Ariza where the best strippers hang out...

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Offensive foul, no. It was a bit of a flop, but Ariza was asking for it bodying up that much. Ariza had to body up to try to deny Harden the ball, but Harden was savvy enough to exploit it for the call. It'd been fine to swallow their whsitles there, but a foul call isn't inappropriate either.

Harden took a gamble on that play. By falling down, he took himself out of the play. If the refs didn't whistle it, the pass would have to go to some other, less efficient scorer.

8. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

by the time the whistle was blown, james harden definitely fouled trevor ariza. we're lucky they missed the call and we won the game.

9. clippy

clippy Member

A bit? C'mon that was a total flop! The subtle head jerk, the arms prepared for landing, even the skid across the floor.. this is a master at the top of his craft. Enjoy it while it lasts!

10. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

You funny man since your fav team is the Clippers and they invented the FLOP.

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Looks like playful banter.

12. clippy

clippy Member

Hey, I'm not denying that the Clippers don't flop (but they certainly didn't invent it.. Laimbeer was flopping before half the Clippers were born). I'm just telling you guys to stop beating around the bush here and pretending this was something other than what it was: a true artist showing us what flopping perfection looks like.

13. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

That's called selling a foul, not a flop.

A flop is pretending to be fouled when no contact was initiated.

I would think a Clippers fan of all people would make that distinction.

14. clippy

clippy Member

There is contact on every flop. Heck, there is contact on pretty much every play in the NBA. The point of the flop is to embellish that contact and make it look like a foul. On this play, Harden didn't need to fall down-- in fact, he pulled Ariza down-- but he is such a master at his craft (love the subtle head jerk!) that he made it look like he was fouled. I mean, maybe he was fouled but it is the kind of contact they normally let go, especially at the end of a game. So kudos to the maestro!

15. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Exactly. You just admitted that it wasn't a flop.

A flop is embellishment to make contact look like a foul when it wasn't. In this case, Harden was legitimately fouled throughout the entire sequence, so therefore he sold the call and did not flop.

Though, since you are a Clippers fan you could probably point out flops better than anyone else. So I guess since you see this 20 times a game you should know all the ins and outs of flops. Maybe one day Harden could be just as good a flopper as CP3 or Blake Griffin.

16. clippy

clippy Member

No, I am calling it exactly what it is: a flop.. a game-winning flop, no less!

Almost every play that people call flops (whether it be Harden, CP3, Griffin, whatever) are actual fouls by the book. They involve players getting hit or pushed a bit and then throwing themselves to the ground to show the refs. It's not like they just dive into the stands with no one around (although I did see Harden practically do that in the last Clipper game LOL).

Embellishing legitimate contact IS a flop. It is basically saying "refs, I don't trust you to do your job so I'm going to show you".. and it's ridiculous. If the refs called every legitimate foul the game would take five hours to finish. They have to let some stuff go and they should have let this one go because this kind of clutching (from both players) is totally normal on critical possessions.

Take a look at that head snap, man! How can you say that isn't a flop? There was nothing near his head!

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

So by your definition, this is not a flop, since there was no contact. I'll just call it flat out cheating.

[​IMG]

18. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

^ Joker of the day.

Not even the NFL allows the defending team to grab the attacking team before the ball is in play and yet it is totally normal in the NBA on critical possessions?

19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Harden flopped?

Say it aint so

20. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

It was a foul.

/thread.