1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ariza's last foul on Harden should have been an offensive foul?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Okay I'm not sure what your point is. It was most definitely a foul on Ariza. The ref didn't call that foul and instead called the foul were Ariza had his hand on Harden's back in between his arms. That foul was questionable but the minute Ariza placed his hand on Hardens back he was holding him and that was not incidental contact.

Say what you will but it was a heady play by Harden and compared to some of the sneaky dirty tricks CP3 does every game it was nothing. A smart play on someone who was most definitely holding him and impeding his progress. The moral of the story is don't put your hand on the back you're gonna get the armpit trap.

2. FeaR

FeaR Member

Both of you go cry for Barca losing La Liga and Arsenal because they are losers.

I don't care if it was an offensive foul, Harden knows how to sell it.

P.S. I am Real Madrid and Middlesbrough

3. MaoKhan

MaoKhan Member

now all I can think about are Harden's armpits :confused:

4. s.b713

s.b713 Member

If im not mistaken they reviewed the play didnt they?? :confused:

5. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I know that there's a popular perception that referees call fewer fouls in the playoffs but that simply isn't true. They actually call more fouls in the playoffs than in the regular season.

Harden and Durant are the two best in the business at getting to the FT line and in every year of their career when they've reached the playoffs, their FT attempts/game went up in the playoffs.

Even if the refs did call fewer fouls, then why would you fear the Clippers? Griffin is right behind Harden in the rate he draws fouls (8.8 fouls/36 minutes for Harden and 8.5 fouls/36 minutes played for Griffin). So if Harden isn't going to the line then Griffin shouldn't be going to the line either.

Likewise, if you truly think that the refs aren't going to call fouls, then why are you afraid that Dwight would be called for a moving screen? If the idea is that they aren't going to make as many calls then it doesn't make sense that they would call moving screens that they didn't call in the regular season. I think your being a bit pessimistic that we won't get any foul calls and the other team will suddenly get calls that they normally don't. Unless the refs are targeting the Rockets that's not going to happen.

Harden and Durant are always going to get calls because they both force the action and teams have to foul them or it will look a lot like the Rocket's final possession last night.

6. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

They can't change a foul call though. The review last night was to determine if the foul was called prior to the ball being inbounded. That was the difference between 1 FT + the ball vs 2 FT.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Harden is one of the brightest players in the league. He sees the floor very well, can sell contact as well as anyone and can put defensive players in position to have to foul him. If you watch him during timeouts (Parsons has mentioned this as well) Harden understands the play in a split second.

His weakness is that because the mental part of the game is easy for him, he is stubborn and has to be humbled sometimes.

8. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Harden sold the contact because if he doesn't sell it, the refs won't call that.

That's a foul, like many have said, it was a foul long before it was called.

Next topic.

9. scottie brooks

it really looked like Trevor was trying to get a foul called. It looked intentional. I am surprised it was not called sooner.

10. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

They probably have their own beards

11. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

I was yelling at my screen for a good 3 seconds before they called it. Why would Harden want to hold Ariza? Why would he even wanna stay anywhere near him? Ariza had him wrapped up from the get go. I know that it's the flavor of the month in the NBA's fanbase circlejerk to hate on Harden right now, but Ariza fouled him about 5 times in that play. The fact that people are debating this is just proof that a fair share of the NBA "fans" are bandwagoners with no clue about basketball.

13. gambingo

gambingo Member

"veteran move"

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You sound like Ariza had three hands. :grin:

15. Raynesis

Raynesis Member

Harden was supposed to move Ariza into Howard's screen. You are not allowed to impede an offensive player's movement thus it was a foul on Ariza from the start because he had both hands on Harden.

However, the whistle was not blown, and thus Harden decided to do that hook arm thing to sell the contact.

16. sergio

sergio Member

Lin was held with two hands just before that. Anyone else notice?

17. sergio

sergio Member

I've seen way less contact called during hackahoward. Two hands is automatic foul. Close thread.

18. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

No, Harden has his hand on Ariza chest while Ariza wraps his arm around Harden. Harden tries to push off to exploded over the screen but Ariza keeps holding. The whistle isn't getting blown so Harden hooks Ariza's arm to sell the contact.

19. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

6 Second gif and Ariza is fouling Harden for the first four seconds. He can't wrap his arms around the man. If he didn't have his arms wrapped around him, he wouldn't have been close enough for Harden to hook his arm.

20. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Great sell by Harden to force the whistle.