1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ariza's last foul on Harden should have been an offensive foul?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Feb 13, 2014.

1. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

It all happened really fast when it happened it looked like an obvious foul on Ariza. On the replay u can slow it down and see the little things each player does. Like maybe Howard moved but so does every player that does a pick.
    It was a foul on Ariza because he hold Harden and was obstructing harden and then Ariza pump into Howard so he then bump Harden. Harden is very intelligent when it come to this and he just sold the foul that Ariza commited.

3. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Ariza had both hands on Harden, and one on his back. He deserved to get a foul call. I've seen way less called a foul in many situations. Harden absolutely sold the call, but he couldn't hook Ariza's arm if it wasn't wrapped around him.

The idea that you could ignore what Ariza did, and then call a foul on Harden or Howard is ridiculous.

4. vator

vator Contributing Member

That was just straight up bad defense and truth be told, if any of our players did that we would be all over that guy saying you can't foul like that in that situation. Imagine if Lin, Harden, Beverley, etc. grabbed a guy on an inbounds play and didn't let go with 4 seconds left and up by 2 points. The board would explode.

5. Andrew Wiggins

TheRealist wrong again.

6. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Wizards fans are acting like Harden won the entire game on that 1 FT attempt when all the Wizards had to do was play defense and prevent Harden from giving the walk-in layup. And it was obvious foul on Ariza..Harden sold it but it's nothing I haven't seen other players do to emphasize the foul to get it called.

7. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

I have a couple of quetions.

1. The way Ariza held onto Harden (right hand grabbing his left arm and left hand around the back) would have been no better than a personal take when someone does a Hack-a-Howard. Why wasn't this called a personal take on Ariza so Harden gets 2 FTs?

2. Wouldn't it be better if the Wizards perform a Hack-a Howard with 4 seconds left while 2 up? If Howard makes 0 or 1 FT they win the game. If Howard makes both FTs they still get the last chance to win the game.

8. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Yeah this. Wizards are whiny little b's cause their team is unable to get past .500. They choke every time they get near it.

9. Zergling

Zergling Member

Harden falling down is what sold the call. If you're a referee in that situation and you DON'T make that call, the Rockets/crowd would probably go crazy. Like it or not, that's one reason refs make certain calls.

On Dwight grabbing/holding: it's like football -- you could call offensive or defensive holding on every play. Not sure why people are adamant that offensive call is made in that context.

10. WinkFan

1. The ball had not been inbounded, which is the reason for 1 FT.

2. Can't do hack a howard in last 2 minutes.

11. Andrew Wiggins

Exactly. If any Rockets player did that we would have a few threads about the Rockets turnovers and stupid plays like that what Ariza did make us pretenders and the dumbest team with talent in the league, one TRADE (said player) BEFORE THE DEADLINE!, one TRADE (said player) NOW WHILE HE STILL HAS VALUE!!!

you get it.

12. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

It wasn't 2 FTs because the ball has not been inbounded. Any fouling during a deadball situation results in a FT + possession.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Why do you bother posting? I haven't read a positive or even neutral post from you in over a year. Lord knows I can be negative, but between you an Granvile it is a pity party of negativity.

14. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I'd like to see a play like this made reviewable.

They can add on the stipulation if the play occurs in the last minute and a win or loss of the game is in question the play can be reviewed. Can you imagine if this was game 7 of the WC final and it wasn't a foul.

15. WinkFan

What is fair and square? Losing the ball on a 5 second call because one of your guys gets tackled?

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Go cry about Arsenal

17. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

Thanks for clearing that up. So it was 1 FT and the ball back rather than 2FTs if the ball had not been inbounded.

18. Andrew Wiggins

Yeah, that whole 2 FT thing by the Rockets PA announcer probably riled them up and the Wiz commentators probably started screaming and getting emotional.

Even without the FT, I like our chances in OT against the Wiz at home. Rockets fans would say forget about the foul and the officiating because we had a chance to stop them and we let them walk in and take an easy layup.

19. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Yeah thats holding. If the ball was inbounded, then it be pass interference. Either way, an obvious flag. Unless Ariza turns his head around to locate the ball then maybe not.

Is that analysis accurate? Not sure why we got one free-throw and not the automatic first down tho.

20. Andrew Wiggins

1) The rule is if you foul anyone in the last 2 minutes they shoot one FT and the team gets the ball back. If over 2 minutes then the fouled player shoots 2 FTs and the ball goes to the other team.

2) Read one.