1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ariza wtf?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1Deep, Oct 24, 2017.

1. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

You're completely missing the point. Teammates love Ariza. He's big with Harden and Paul, and yes Melo wanted him here too.

SIL

Ozzy likes this.
  2. Rocketeer4Life

Then how can you explain his vast playing time despite having horrific offense, mediocre defense and better subs like Tucker and Luc who can take his place ??!!

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i've been complaining about ariza's streaky shot, inability to dribble, and being one of the worst transition players... for years now. but tucker is also 2-12 from the field in his last 2 games :X

4. Rocketeer4Life

Ariza has been consistently awful offensively for years as you mentioned thereupon its time to cut his playing time and take risks with others such as Luc and even Troy Williams. If something is broken, shouldn't the coach try something new? I just don't get the unconditional love of coaches for Ariza other than him being a great politician with the coaches and stars at this point.

Cashmoney likes this.
  5. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

Ariza has choked every playoffs game he played with the rockets. We cannot win with this dude starting period.

6. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

I love ariza the teammate and he gets his hands on a lot of passes, but I've been calling for a new starting SF for two seasons now.

Can't dribble, can't create his own shot, shoots well once every six games and the heavy minutes have taken a toll on his lateral speed.

Definitely of importance to us still and he is capable of being very good on defense still when fresh, but his offensive game is just pure trash. I'm just calling it how I see it.

Every time he's had a great game (few and far between) the team looks completely different and I've pointed out how incredible it would be if we got any sort of consistent production from the SF spot.

He's had two seasons in 10+ of shooting above average from three, not exactly ideal in what we are trying to do.

How can you be 6'10" and be as poor of a finisher as Ariza?

I honestly think he'd be far more effective off the bench for 20 minutes a night and as a small ball 4.

kevtse and 1Deep like this.
  7. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

op likes to start threads a lot

8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

He's free next summer. Rockets need to upgrade that SF position big time next offseason

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Only positive thing Luc/Tucker bring over Ariza is muscle. Both are worse shooters then Ariza, all 3 of them are bad at puting the ball on the floor, all 3 are good perimeter defenders.

I agree his minutes should be under 30 by now, but starting PJ or Luc over Ariza is a lateral move at best.

10. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I’m definitely in the boat of him playing less. It’ll be another year of him burning out by the all star break at this rate.

If he and Nene are to miss extended time, Qi seem s like the right guy to step up. Small ball 5? Qi. Not Anderson.

Paul, aanderson, Ariza, Nene....who else has nagging pains? Old man squad lol

11. theh

theh Member

He should have been shipped to NY .. he's trash. His offense is embarrassing for an NBA player.

Asian Sensation and BigggReddd like this.
  12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I said this last season but the Rockets dint have enough good shooters to chuck the amount if threes they do.

13. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I brought this issue up after the second game already. He is 32 years old already and should not be logging in as many minutes. He is here for defense and getting people on the same page with his veteran leadership. Let Tucker and Luc play more minutes.

14. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Plug in Troy Williams into starting lineup

15. mockster

mockster Member

I love Ariza but I feel like he’s declined as a player.

He has no dribbling capabilities for the most part

Watching him get a layup/drive it in is like holding your breathe because he’s not that athletic of a finisher but can dunk it in the open.

He’s become a known bricker for days in a row but occasionally will come up clutch or have a big game

Other that he brings very solid defense and seems to fit well with the team chemistry wise. He also appears to get decently open.

BigShasta likes this.
  16. 1Deep

1Deep Member

Just for the record I wanted him to come off the bench and play less minutes. Didn't want him hurt and out of the line-up completely.

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He has led the league in corner three pointers the last two seasons, and he never misses a game.

If upgrading the SF was so easy, everyone would be doing it.

MVP4THREE likes this.
  18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

This thread gets made every year

He's one of the best 3 and D guys in the league, and extremely valuable at the wing

robgue and MVP4THREE like this.
  19. MVP4THREE

MVP4THREE Member

it's too late now. you started this thread and look what happened. this is on you. i hope you're happy.

20. kevtse

kevtse Member

We are not as good as Morey on analytical stats but we can all see that whenever our small forward scores we win! Our small forward get so much space out of offense, either open three or space to drive in. However all of us can tell Ariza just cant deliver on the offensive end. We know he is the buddy of Harden but we need someone who can score on the SF position. Even a rookie like Markkanen can help us more to win games!