1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are you wearing a mask when going out?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, May 13, 2020.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I wear mine in public, but not at work, since few people come in, and we maintain a good distance.

Most people at Publix seem to be wearing them, but when I went to ATL airport (everyone in the airport was seemingly wearing one), I stopped at a busy gas station and there were over 20 people in there, not one wearing a damn mask, aside from myself. So definitely about where you go and the type of people most likely to shop there.

Nook and RayRay10 like this.
  2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

When I'm going into a store or other building, I'll wear a mask. To jog or walk in my neighborhood or work in the yard or around the house, no. But, I do switch lanes for oncoming joggers -- if they're on the sidewalk, I'll move to the street or the opposite sidewalk. Black people, I'm not doing it because I'm afraid you might mug me, I swear!

It is interesting how the mask is becoming a political marker and you can physically see how homogeneously conservative or liberal a place is. I'd estimate HEB is 80% bemasked, Kroger 50%, Home Depot 35%.

superfob, CometsWin, jiggyfly and 2 others like this.
  3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I pretty much do the same.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I live a small TX town and its pretty divided on racial grounds.

Its seems to be about 60% overall mainly blacks and Hispanics some whites.

Not all blacks and Hispanics wear them but about 80%.

I am surprised that POC are the ones leading on this?

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Probably they should if they're in a higher risk category. More prevalence of underlying health conditions and more likely to have an essential/sacrificial job. And less likely to be drinking the Trump koolaid.

jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  6. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Unless you are in car or doing yard work / walking around neighborhood you should be wearing your freaking mask at all times.

Wtf that people arent and yet another reason why we cant have nice things

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I wear a mask and gloves any time I’m going to be around people. I’m a dialysis patient so I have to be extra careful. I just wanted to personally thank all you people not wearing masks. I’m heartened to know you assholes think so little of your responsibility to your fellow Americans that you’d risk people’s lives, including mine, to emphasize some stupid political point. I went to Lowe’s the other day and there were so many people there I just decided to go home. Unbelievable.

bcast89, Exiled, Nook and 2 others like this.
  8. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

My local home depot has been easily over 60% wearing masks lately. I wear one shopping but not at work. Not many people come to my office these days. They screen our temp everyday upon entry.

9. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I’ll rat myself out and say that I haven’t worn one at all. But I can probably provide some insight since I’m more liberal, anti-trump, etc. I definitely keep my distance from people at stores. No one at my office wears one but we’ve been cycling in one attorney each day with limited office staff. Arkansas hasn’t been requiring masks inside restaurants/stores but apparently such an order went into effect yesterday. Seeing as I never cook, I will start wearing one when I go into places that don’t have a drive thru.

long story short, the stay-at-home and mask requirements are essential. I’m a young, fairly liberal guy who believes the virus is still a major threat yet I’ve been lazy about wearing a mask. I feel guilty for not having done so.

10. CCorn

CCorn Member

I live in a blue collar area and no one wears masks. Which is sad because many of the locals are high risk.

When I go to League City/Clear Lake most people are wearing masks.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Sorry if I sounded harsh. I just feel like I’m risking my life any time I go out and seeing people not taking it seriously really sucks. It doesn’t take much just to throw on a mask.

Jayzers_100 and RayRay10 like this.
  12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

If you are jogging without a mask stay the f away. Im so sick of joggers not keeping their distance and proceeded to huff and puff all over people.

vlaurelio likes this.
  13. TheresTheDagger

I only wear a mask where required to...i.e. Costco.

Then again, I live in Montana where the total number of cases still numbers less than 500 statewide with 17 deaths.

It just isn't a problem here so far.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Depends on the situation. I wear a mask if I have to go to the store but not if I am getting gas.

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If I am going to be less than 6 feet from a stranger and non-family member, I wear a mask.

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I hardly ever go out, but when I do, I have a mask on. I also am at the stores before they open to be among the first ones in. This means I don't go to two stores a day. The rate of other people wearing masks varies even at the same stores and times.

Quick weird story... I went to Walmart a couple of weeks ago. I saw a couple walking around without a shopping cart or any items. The woman was holding a man that looked sick as a dog. He coughed in my general direction but was probably around 50 feet away. Neither had masks on.

RayRay10 and FrontRunner like this.
  17. Newlin

Newlin Member

It is a problem. People have died in Montana because of this virus.

This entire pandemic started with ONE person. That’s all it takes. One person.

Montana has had almost 500 known cases. The virus is out there.

Why not help stop the spread?

FrontRunner likes this.
  18. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

What a jerk.

RayRay10 and FrontRunner like this.
  19. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i wear one if i go into any store or gas station. i dont if im walking my dog or in a spacious outdoor area. i live in austin and most everyone seems to be doing the same. however, my job takes me to the surrounding towns like san marcos, dripping springs, georgetown, liberty hill, ect. its definitely not as prevalent in these towns. i felt like a total liberal cuck when i went into a gas station in georgetown and out of the dozen people in the store the only ones wearing a mask were me and the guy behind the counter.

its so bizarre seeing the act of wearing a mask being made into a political statement. it seems pretty damn common sense to be wearing one if you go in a store.

jiggyfly, RayRay10 and FrontRunner like this.
  20. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

This.

The only time I'm not wearing a mask AND googles when I'm out and among others is when I'm going for a walk. I'm safe as all hell and exercise only when the streets are deserted, but I've had joggers and bike riders sneak up and pass by me within one to three feet. They've taken what used to be a stress reliever and made it stressful for me.

arkoe, RayRay10 and noppeper like this.