1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are you smart enough to be a U.S. citizen?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by K mf G, Jul 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

42. I wonder if naturalized immigrants would get higher scores on this test than people born in this country.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You have to keep in mind that those who are actually taking the test probably have some form of study guides and actually study for the exam before they take it. Remember all those history exams you study for and ace but then forget pretty much all of it. Ya, this is probably like that.

3. Buck Turgidson

Exactly, I remember looking through an ex's mom's study materials before she took hers. Also, the tests they take are much longer and more detailed than the one we all just took.

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

My brother in law just took his citizenship test and looking over his study stuff and practice questions it seemed super easy.

That's from someone who just scored a 34 on this thing, so I'm barely scratching a citizen as is. : )

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I memorized all this when my wife was practicing last year for her citizenship test.

They ask you 10 random questions, btw, not all 100. You have to get 7 correct. With her they stopped at 7 because she was so prepared. "The freedom to practice any religion....or NOT practice a religion." When she got the latter part of the answer (I think a lot of people leave it off, not really thinking), they were impressed. "Eff this, you studied, welcome to America."

I am exaggerating of course. We jumped a lot of hoops before she attained citizenship.

6. Buck Turgidson

This was 10+ years ago so things may have changed, and yeah most of it was basic stuff, but I was struck by some of the material that would be difficult (but mostly rote memorization I guess) for someone who did not grow up here and (hopefully) learn about it in school.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I was naturalized since I came to the US as a refugee. They didn't ask me any questions because I spoke English so well, and was so "Americanized".

8. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Your Citizenship Score: 42
    Citizenship attained.

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

I bet the Canadian test is much easier.

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Sorry, in what universe is the Texas State Capitol a national icon?

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

36 out of 50, big donut on the Personal History section.

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I think the only reason people get any of the justices right is because of Bush v. Gore. I'm guessing most people who equate the NAACP with the Red Shirts wouldn't guess Thurgood Marshall, or who obsess about nominations now would know a Harry Blackmun.

13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

54...b****es!

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't think these questions match up very well with the actual citizenship test. There are no picture or quote matching questions in the actual citizenship test, for one. The one part I got wrong involve quotes from the Gettysburg address and the Declaration of Independence.

15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Morning in America

Nothing to Fear but Fear itself is the WWII FDR speech

By the way, I got a 45 and felt lucky to get that!

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Actually it's his first inaugural speech. There's another great line in there:

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Got a 50. I got Kennedy and Breyer mixed up. All them white guys look the same.

Question #1 - Do you want to be a Canadian citizen?

Question #2 - Really?

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

50. I missed every guess I had to make. 3 of those judges I had no idea. Never realized how little I see them.