1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we really going to sign Cp3 to a supermax

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HardenMvp, May 21, 2018.

1. basketballholic

When you consider how we can possibly build this team to beat the Warriors you also have to consider the luxury tax. We need another season outside the luxury tax to avoid the repeater tax as long as possible.

Then when you consider the logistics of trying to acquire Lebron through trade it gets even more ridiculous. Cleveland is in the luxury tax. Giving them Anderson, Gordon and two picks at the tail end of the first round doesn't help them do anything. They'll have to use those two picks plus another asset to move Anderson back out again.

Cleveland is better off to let LeBron walk, then trade Love away to the highest bidder, go to the lottery, and wait for other teams to come after Hill and the rest of their guys.

And we're much better off to stretch Anderson, get Paul and Ariza to agree to cheap one-year deals, sign LeBron outright, then deal with Capela. We may have to move Gordon out for cap space too. But if so it puts us in a much better position by essentially trading Anderson and Gordon for Lebron and another asset while keeping the rest of our assets. Then deal with Capela's free agency.

Anderson's stretch will cost us $8 minion of cap space for 5 seasons. I would think he'd get signed for $4-10 million per season somewhere and we would be able to offset some of that stretch. And besides that....with Lebron and Paul here out cap is shot for the next 3-5 seasons anyway.

We negotiate a 5-year contract with Paul with final season partially guaranteed. Then get him to take a one year deal equivalent to the final season guarantee and re-up him next summer to a 4 year max deal.

Vivi and sammy like this.
  2. AkeemTheDreem86

What about his effort shows you he cares at this point in time?

3. abigwreck

abigwreck Member

Out of the history of the NBA, using KD as the poster child for a player taking pay cuts is laughable. What about Tim Duncan? Also, KD opted out of his player option for next season.... he's looking to get paid more.

4. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

we can get lebron first and chris paul can sign his supermax and tillman pays luxury tax. at that point, who cares?

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Well he also already won a title, and the Warriors know their roster is championship caliber. For the Rockets, this roster has not proven to be championship caliber, so you have to retain the most flexibility and ability to improve until you prove you can win a title. Then you can start getting your money with no harm done (unless you are Tillman of course)

6. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

kjayp, hakeem94, adw and 1 other person like this.
  7. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

He is definitely hurt right now. Can't imagine we'd give him 5 years anyway. 2-3 years is fine, especially if it attracts Lebron.

jeevinesh and lw17 like this.
  8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I hope we can flip him for something if he really does ask for $30 million

9. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

Reading these messages makes me miss Patrick Beverly. :(:(

lw17 likes this.
  10. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He's too old and injury prone for a supermax. I'd sign him to Ryan Anderson money for sure though.

deb4rockets likes this.
  11. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Here are my thoughts on the CP3 contract extension.
    CP3 will get a 5 year close to max deal,w/a small paycut, w/a 5th year team option. CP3 has made so much money on and off the court that at this point you would think that he’s more worried about winning than money.
    Signing LBJ I’m sure is not only HOU’s priority this summer but also CP3’s. I’m sure CP is more than willing to take that paycut for Bron.
    We will indeed have to move Anderson and maybe Ariza or Tucker, just depends on how much Tillman is willing to pay.
    Also have to consider what Capela will get paid this summer. If PHO drafts Luka Doncic than they will def offer Capela the max which in this case I would pass and go for a cheaper somewhat similar player in DJ, it would suck but something will have to give.
    In that case you would probably than be able to keep everyone but Anderson and would have to make room for DJ.
    Our lineup would consist of:

Chris Paul/Eric Gordon
    James Harden/Gerald Green
    LeBron James/Trevor Ariza
    PJ Tucker/Luc Mbah a Moute
    DeAndre Jordan/Nene

Not bad but would probably prefer Capela

12. Mr. Space City

if you give him a long term contract back load the **** out of it.

13. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

yea this will beat the wariorrs lol

14. s3ts

s3ts Member

Sounds plausible. I just wonder can a big that plays closer to the rim help Lebron thrive?

I think about all the 4-5 that Lebron has played with, they all are kind of a stretch-4/5. I think one of the reasons why CP/Harden works well w/ this team is because Capela is able to get lobs playing an inside-outside game. I can imagine Lebron doing a lot of high-post plays, and it'll be awkward to see Deandre/Capela sitting at a corner.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It's not a "good idea" to max him at his age, but chances are it's the best option we have unless he's willing to do the crazy stuff jopat is talking about. If the choices are A) maxing out Paul and Capela and trying to move the other pieces around to get better or B) letting Paul walk and hoping for another star to fall into our laps I'll take option A every time.

Vivi, Stormy1234 and Deckard like this.
  16. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

If you are trying to contend in Harden's prime then you have no choice. We won't have the room to bring in another star if he walks and it's not like we are at the top of the list for those top free agents anyway.

justtxyank likes this.
  17. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Are we really going to have to watch you create dumbass thread after dumbass thread?

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Such an absurd criticism. We signed Ariza to an amazing contract by anyone's standards. We've got Luc on a dirt-cheap contract.

In the 11 years of the Morey era, you can count the number of bad contracts on one hand. And the number of bad contracts that have actually hurt the team on one or two fingers.

Mazulis, Ras137 and adw like this.
  19. HardenMvp

HardenMvp Member

explain how this thread for dumb? Stop trolling

20. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

#40 rockets1995, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018