1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are there moderate conservatives on this board?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pirc1, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Exiled

Exiled Member

well, I'm a Wahhabi but many call me Liberal! this forum needs a calibration or some sort of reset to labeling and pre-detremind opinions. Topics barely discussed, it's like cyber prison with the attitude of "my gang 'vs. yours" as a media of lazy opinions

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I look at the data and there is no first world country without Universal Healthcare. We spend 2x more money than every other country and our healthcare is not better than all those countries. Please don't give me the unhealthy people excuse as unhealthy people are cheaper than healthy people to insure since they die off faster. I don't understand how this such a decisive issue.

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Being left or being right is relative. The lot on here would call me extreme right. Most of the people I grew up with would find me on the left.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Moderate conservatives have a new name these days: Liberals.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This is exactly correct. When it comes to this board, you have to be a decent way to the left to be considered the center.....but that's nowhere near the center when we're talking about the country as a whole. At the same time, if we're talking about the "center" in a country like France, you'd have to be extremely far to the left by American standards.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I'm a liberal conservative.

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

That sir is a liberal fact.

8. Exiled

Exiled Member

so the people you grew up with don't like you!

9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Being intolerant is a religious and a leftist thing.

10. Exiled

Exiled Member

I agree, we're on the same pace . I'm a "moderate conservative" too

11. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

justtxyank is a moderate conservative and the just about the only conservative poster on this board I have any respect for. He knows his **** and posts with integrity. weslinder was also like this. The rest are pretty much full on clowns.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Appreciate the mention, but I don't think anyone who knows me well would call me a conservative at this point.

Deckard likes this.
  13. jbasket

jbasket Member

What people have not taken into consideration is that the country's spectrum, as a whole, has shifted left, in my opinion. A centrist in 2000 would translate to a "moderate" Republican in current day.

I took a pretty extensive test and was a slightly right-leaning libertarian. I find people generally are not accurate in labeling themselves because nobody likes to be called an "extremist" in anything.

14. gifford1967

Supporting Member

That's why you're not third on my list of two.

MadMax likes this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think the reason that there aren't very many conservatives on this board is that there are so few respectable liberals on the board. It's all drooling nonsense like this

It's a board dominated by people that are pretty far left of where the country is at who try to talk down to anyone who disagrees with their ridiculously hilarious political opinions. It's just not an atmosphere that is going to cultivate much positive interaction. In some ways, it's part of the reason why people who think like that have increasingly less political power.....yet that doesn't seem to stop them from getting increasingly arrogant.

Hopefully some of the more out of touch posters on the left will get a reality check at some point and I think that would lead to a lot more positive discussions on this board. Sure there will always be the extremists, the trolls, and the simpletons, but those not in one of those categories need to step it up.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  16. gifford1967

Supporting Member

The driver of the clown car.

17. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

So Just because he was more liberal than Bill Clinton who was by most account a centralist or even slightly conservative president, he is considered extreme liberal?

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, you listed presidents, I was telling you that he was further left than Clinton and that Clinton would basically be a Republican by comparison to Obama. I mean, sure there are people even further out on the fringe left, but that doesn't mean that Obama isn't considerably to the left of center. He might be to the right of some on this board, but that means very little. Most people are.

cml750 likes this.
  19. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

By democrat standard, he is a centralist, you do not expect him to be in the middle do you? Just as any Republican president will be expected to be right leaning. Unless you consider vast majority of Democrats extreme liberals, in which case, there really isn't much to discuss.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When people say "centrist" they are almost always talking about the center of the country, not center of the party. Now sure, it's possible that Obama is in the center of the Democrat party as a very strong fringe element (Bernie bros and the like) has moved that party considerably to the left, but that's not anywhere near a centrist when talking about the entire country.

Perhaps that was the problem all along, we were using the same words differently.