1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are European players overvalued?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by K-Low_4_Prez, Jul 6, 2017.

1. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I was listening to a podcast the other day (I listen to so many I can't seem to remember which one) and they were discussing one of the prospects in this years draft who was a white kid from here in the states. And they joked about how if his name was different and he was from Germany or something he would be a top pick. But since he is just a white kid from a university nobody cares.

But it really got me thinking I mean how many of these white guys from the states would be considered better NBA prospects if they were from Serbia or Lithuania.

Not to mention when you look at some of the career stats for some of the Euro players they are underwhelming but they seem to be graded on a curve.

Just wondering what you guys think...

2. malakas

malakas Member

I think that playing in a small college against young underdeveloped kids who won't even make a team in pakistan ever in their life is not the same as playing against grown experienced and proffesional bball players in the premier league of Lithuania.

Invisible Fan, Yung-T and roslolian like this.
  3. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Solid point but some of these NBA prospects from Europe don't even hardly touch the floor at their home clubs and have made names for themselves at the Fiba youth tournaments where I'm sure there are Americans that could put up similar numbers if they were given those roles... idk just something to think about

4. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

Well it's always the less you see of them the less you can knock their game. After that all you got to go on is "P"otential. That's why we have all these one and done in college.

5. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I think that was the case in early 2000s when GMs made many blunders reaching for the next Nowitzki and Sabonis, but today Europe is well scouted. Plenty of white Americans are high picks too. Many Americans get drafted without playing big minutes in college, based more on their HS performance.

Yung-T likes this.
  6. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Soccer?

Messi just signed a 3 year contract extension + a premium signing bonus. It comes out to 3 years/$384 million.

Yea, that wasn't a typo, 3 years/$384 million.

Time to change your dream sport career to soccer.

7. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

If an European guy is good enough for draft, he will probably play against much better competition than his US college peers. Look at Luka Dončič, for example. With 17 years, he played every game in Euroleague for Real Madrid (wasn't a starter though). With 18 years, named Weekly MVP of the league three times. Btw, he's from Slovenia and he will play in this year's Nationals with Dragič.

roslolian and malakas like this.
  8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the issue is that the league has tweaked the rules and game so that shooting is at a premium now vs post play or physicality, which benefits the euro's

Invisible Fan likes this.
  9. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

are you sure? sounds far too high. Barca is bigger than NBA clubs but even they aren't that rich, and they need to pay many more players and pay transfer fees.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Skillset and shooting are still very good..... Some are just too soft.

11. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

I believe in soccer, player deals factor in endorsements not just the team salary.
    For example, think about Lebron's deal if you had to factor in his endorsements deals.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

How does that make sense though nike isn't owned by football teams why will they have to pony up cash for salary for a specific team?

Lebron has two contracts one for Nike and one for the Cavs. Thats how it should work I doubt Nike or other endorser will allow football teams to include their endorsement dollars as part of the team's offer these are two separate companies.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well you are wrong. Espn says rumor is contract is around 25M a year with signing bonus of 50M:
    http://www.espnfc.com/spanish-prime...with-celebration-and-some-relief-by-barcelona

Maybe its not the exact amount but it will be closer to 25 than 384M wtf. It doesn't even make any sense soccer has so many players how can one dude make $100M+ a year? That would mean a billionaire won't have enough money to fund a year's payroll on his team which is ridiculous.

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Not sure where you got those numbers from, his new contract is for a rumored 30-35mil/year salary.

The new buyout clause is over 300mil, maybe you've confused these two things.

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Not true, it's only salary.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Its pretty funny I searched richest contracts in sports and the highest is only 150+M for baseball and thats for a long ass time, like 7+ years.

If we're talking Millions Per Year basketball is the most lucrative sport since with the new CBA Curry will make 40M per year not counting endorsements. The only exception is boxing where superstars like Mayweather or Pacquiao gets millions for a day of work but those don't count since those aren't team sports and their pay structure is based per fight.

malakas and Yung-T like this.
  17. JJWhat?

JJWhat? Member

NBA deleted center position from the game, that benefits euros too, right? Because there were never times where each NBA team had 7 foot euro /s

malakas likes this.
  18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

My knowledge in fruity colored monopoly money is limited (f*ck the metric system), but that sounds like a mean exchange rate for fake football.

19. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

I must have gotten the buyout clause mixed up with salary! Damn... major whoops.

20. malakas

malakas Member

Yes but the difference (as far I know which since I dont' follow football not that much) is that it's clear money after taxes. Whereas Curry has to pay like 13% in taxes. In the end I think the salary is about equal.