1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are 50+ wins possible?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Severe Rockets Fan, Aug 23, 2002.

1. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Thinking back 2 years ago...Hakeem was hurt alot but when he did play we did well. I think that Ming's skill level at this point is close to Dream's during that 45 win season...with that in mind image having a healthy dream that whole season. We could have won 50+ games, easily.
    Now this year we have a healthy AND improving Yao along with a more mature(yes I said it) Steve and Cat, and Eddie is also showing signs of being a MAJOR contributor.
    Point being, I think 53-56 wins is very possible, which is a season that all rockets fans will greatly deserve!:D

2. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

Yes, definitely, anything less will be a disapointment at this point.

3. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

A 50 win season is possible. But Rudy has the tough job of melting this team together.

1.) Putting together the lightning playing styles of Cat, Steve, Mooch together with Ming's slower but steady style. Ming has never played w/ teammates like this before. It should be interesting.

2.) Plus we still have to sort out the 4 spot PT issue. I could see that causing locker room issues.

3.) Speaking of locker room, Cato will be important because Yao won't play 48 m/game. So how do you keep his ego in tact? Cato can play an important role.

4.) Finally (and probably least), we gotta get Rice involved. Last season he wasn't able to get in the flow of the games (before injury) presumabely because he was learning the system. But I think he can be a big contributor esp. as doubles down low and on Steve/Cat become stronger. Rice can have a big role in busting games open...similar to Elie.

I'm hopeful they'll all gel but there are a lot of peices to fall in place. No question the talent is there but they got to get on the same page. I'm really looking forward to watching this team grow.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ming rebounds...out to Francis on the break...alley oop to Cat....

SLAM DUNK !!!!!

Get used to it.

Ming can play...baby !!

DD

5. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I'm not so big on Rice, but his effectiveness on our team will all depend on one thing...his weight. If he comes into preseason overweight he will be the same if not worse than last season. He's too old to be trying to get into shaping DURING the season. If he tries to do that he'll get hurt again...which I'm thinking he will.

6. kuj007

kuj007 Member

LeGrouper,

I'm with you... I think anything less than 50 will be underachieving for this group.

Now that we've seen that The Dynasty is going to be able to hold his own next year, EG should blossom, Stevie is Stevie, and Cat is a year older and wiser, I think our biggest concern is the 4 spot. With KT and MoT platooning there, we'll be... well... serviceable...

we're still not exceptionally deep (I don't think Boki will show us too much this year -- and I'm not counting on Rice), but we should be able to scratch out the 50. I don't expect much more than that, but I don't think 50 should be seen as a stretch.

7. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I'm not making any predictions, I'm just saying we need a stable outside threat. If we want to win 50+ games this season, a role player will have to step up to knock down open shots to keep the defenses honest. Maybe that could be Boki or Oscar. I'm thinking Rice is our best chance of being that person. I hope he can so he can impart his years of experience into our lineup.

It likely won't be too dramatic... Some of our best games last season is when Walt was hitting his shots. Rice needs to be that person this season.

If we don't have a stable sharp shooter, then defenses will collapse on Yao and/or he'll hit the rookie wall. Then We're back to Steve/Cat's iso's plays to get them open. That's not very efficient. 1-on-1 is fine in the flow of the game but the iso's can only get you so far.

Rice can help be the key to break the need for iso's.