1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Appel over Bryant looking more depressing...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TMAC3, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Lol why are you even here?

2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I don't know about Gammons, but the guys on mlb radio on sirius are beating the cubs up pretty good over this

3. Nook

Nook Member

Then you should follow the Cubs more closely, he complained about it almost two weeks ago before Boras said anything. Also Boras isn't one of the worst agents, he gets his clients the most they can get. How is what Boras doing any worse than Theo Epstein repeatedly lying saying Bryant isn't ready but Ott is.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Well, Mike Olt is a better defensive player who had a great spring.

5. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Because I can be. Why is it an issue?

Boras has known this for a while. It doesn't matter when Boras said anything. To me he is. Sure he gets it done for the players, but teams that have to deal with his **** all the time. It's stupid.

Eh, Theo isn't lying about anything. He's said pretty clearly he hasn't had a history of starting a prospect on opening day. Mike Olt isn't really part of the Cubs future, he's been in and out of the majors over the last year. Bryant hasn't even played yet in the majors. Olt's situation is completely different from Bryant's. Try again.

6. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Because at the time it seemed like you were here just to troll. Anyways whatever, Bryant is doing great so far no doubt about that.

7. ItsMyFault

I only have respect for the Astros. I don't hate them or anything. It was just a light jab back for the Cubs joke. :cool:

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That's great... did the Cubs forum kick you out?

9. ItsMyFault

Yeah, one did actually. I think I drank a little too much one night and might have said a few things I wasn't supposed to. Haha.

10. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Appel over Gray looking more joyous....

11. vince

vince Member

What is up with Gray. I thought he was rated very high on the prospects list. Appel slid down to the 30's which is not too good for a #1 pick just 2 years ago.

12. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it all boils down to the fact that Appel is on the Astros. You are immediately downgraded once being absorbed into the sickly froth that is Astros baseball so much that you just have to play that much harder to silence the media. It should help you appreciate just how good Correa is, though, to be rated as high as he is.

13. Nook

Nook Member

I don't need to try again, Theo is keeping Bryant down because he wants another year before he is a free agent... Bryant knows it, Boras knows it, everyone knows it. Theo isn't stupid, there is no way he thinks Olt is better than Bryant right now.... Luhnow did the same thing with Springer but got a lot of **** for it. You better get used to Boras, he isn't going anywhere and he won't be doing the Cubs any favors.

14. ItsMyFault

Yeah, no. Theo isn't doing it because he thinks Olt is better than Bryant. It really has nothing to do with Olt at all. If Valbuena was still on the team, he'd be starting opening day too. Not because he's not ready, but because Theo doesn't feel Bryant isn't ready. Once again, in Theo's history as a GM, he has never brought up a prospect to start on opening day. That should be telling. I don't need to get used to Boras, I've seen him do his bs long enough. I just think he's an idiot really, I've always thought that about him.

Keep your conspiracies to yourself. You have nothing to prove that Theo is doing it for the extra year. And even if he was doing it for the extra year, there's nothing wrong with it at all. The Cubs aren't not looking to contend this year, although Maddon will try his hardest to do so. It's not like Bryant missing a few games or a month will really matter for the Cubs this season. 2016 will likely be the year the Cubs either win the division or make the playoffs as a wild card if the right pieces follow through.

15. Major

Major Member

It's going to be awfully convenient when Bryant is suddenly ready 12 days the season when the extra-year deadline passes.

I'm not sure how much you're following the Cubs, but they are certainly expecting to win this year. And Vegas has them with the 7th highest odds to win the World Series.

16. ItsMyFault

Bryant has 14 K's now in ST. I think he still needs some improvement in that area a little. It's good to not rush him right now.

I should've worded it a bit different. Of course I think the Cubs are trying to contend this year with the acquisition of guys like Lester and Montero, but the Cubs simply have too many question marks this year to really contend for a playoff spot. Even if they get around 82 wins or so which is where they're projected, that's probably not enough for a WC spot. It's just not going to happen this year realistically speaking.

Vegas odds really have more to do with trying to get people to bite. The Cubs certainly shouldn't have the 7th best odds this season to win it all. That's foolish. Too many young players that are unproven. Arietta and Hendricks could easily regress which would put a pretty big dent in the rotation because outside of that it's really just Lester and Hammel. Not rushing Bryant is more important for this club than trying to win this year, and I think the FO knows that. Next season with all the arms in FA, that's when they'll likely target a David Price, Johnny Cueto or Zimmermann and also have a better idea of what kind of hitters they have on this team.

A prime example of a person they might have rushed is Javier Baez. Although Baez is not as talented of a bat as Bryant, I think they brought him up too early. Now I'm not even sure he'll play most of his games up in the majors this year because he just has no plate discipline.

I hate that I've turned this thread in the Astros forum into Cubs stuff. I don't want to continue that any longer. Happily will discuss Cubs related stuff in the MLB thread though in Other Sports.

1 person likes this.
  17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That's because you're getting owned... Bryant is entirely being kept down for service reasons. The reasons the Cubs can't "say" that is because it is technically against the CBA to do this... so thus Epstein will say whatever he has to say to make it look legit (much like Luhnow did with Springer).

Bringing him up to start the season is "rushing" him...but calling him up 12-15 days after the season start isn't?

18. ItsMyFault

No I'm not getting owned, I'm the one dishing out the ownage. It seems as though some people here are just speculating but passing it on as if it's a fact or something. If Bryant isn't up directly after his window of 9-10 games and 12 days or whatever it is, you can probably assume it has nothing to do with the extra year then.

Nobody has said he's going to come up after 12-15 days. He may not even come up till May or later. Like I said, if he's up after this window of games is up, I'll eat crow. Until then, it's just speculation on your part and anyone elses.

#78 ItsMyFault, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Bryant is going the minors to get that extra year of control. Epstein saying he's never had someone make their debut on opening day doesn't mean much (If he had a player make a debut on opening day it would actually strengthen his argument). Most teams don't do it because it makes more sense to wait.

Bryant does have things he can work on, but that isn't why he is going to the minors.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If he doesn't come up shortly after the season starts, then the next deadline the Cubs will be waiting for is the Super-2 one (which always varies, but usually its safe to call up a player in early July and be beyond that deadline).

For instance, that's when I expect the Astros to promote Appel (provided he's handling the minors), and its when they promoted Cosart and Villar two years ago.

Not sure why you're in denial over it... the reason why Epstein has never had a prospect start the season on the roster is because he's held true to this "system" as long as he's been the main GM.

The last big-name prospect to start his MLB career on opening day was Jason Hayward (IIRC), and the Braves just traded him prior to his upcoming free agency year (which was one year earlier).