1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Appel over Bryant looking more depressing...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TMAC3, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

2. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Oh, your one of those fans... :rolleyes:

Put this somewhere else Mod.

3. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Appel looks great. Shut up.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Are Minnesota fans saying the same thing about how they wish Houston had taken Buxton so they could have Correa?

EDIT: (they aren't now, but they will be in just 2-3 years).

#24 Nick, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

To be fair, outside of Houston most/many people still view Buxton as the better prospect

I don't, I'd much rather have Correa, but I'm a fan of the team and he looks awesome

Would be hard to find anyone who thinks Appel is better prospect than Bryant

6. J Hard

J Hard Member

Uh oh, the lame thread police is here, better take this crap elsewhere.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yes, please do.

8. vince

vince Member

Appel took a PR hit because of his stuggles. But the Astros said his pitches were good. his velocity was good. it was a mental confidence. maybe he was allowing the pressure to bring him down a notch.

9. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Appel has Looked very good this ST, showing stuff of a number 2 starter.

10. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Spring Training

11. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

yes, ST, but i am not looking at NUMBERS, i am looking at pitches. He threw with velocity and movement. Offspeed stuff was impressive. HE LOOKED GOOD

Now, who is going to be better, well, does it matters????? What matters is that Appel could be a top pitcher for us, and that is what we REALLY need, a front starter.

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Did the Astros actually say this, or are you guessing? I know they long-term project Correa to move to 3B - but if they're picking (or not picking) players because of position, I'd be genuinely concerned. That's not a very smart way to run a MLB draft, IMO.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

My sources suck, but I was under the impression that the move to third was likely post peak years. Is that about what you are hearing or sooner?

14. Hey Now!

No sources. I've just always heard through various channels (like here)?that he has 3B capacity and that he might eventually outgrow SS. If you've never seen the guy in person... big, huge frame. He's going to fill-out a lot.

15. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Carlos Rodon lighting it up.

sigh.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It will likely be post-peak years.... he's big, but still very quick with a good amount of range.

He'll get bigger and eventually could get moved... but not unless they have somebody quicker and better at SS to replace him.

He's a SS for the time being... and to say that they didn't draft Bryant because they already had a possible 3B is pretty ridiculous. Hell, there's always a chance the "3B of the future" ends up being an outfielder or 1B like countless 3B's before him (Alex Gordon and Jeff Bagwell comes to mind).

17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

people always find something to complain about. MLB drafts are crapshoots, and so many guys flame out (whether now or in the majors). Be happy that Appel still shows promise (and a lot of it), and let's see where these guys are in 3 or even 5 years.

Why get super disappointed now when you know the variability is ridiculously high, regardless of the #'s you see right now?

18. Hey Now!

Yep; as I said, that would cause me to have tremendous concern for our FO if even remotely true; especially given we're an AL team.

Very possible they blew it: oh well... Not the first team; certainly won't be the last. And there's still a strong likelihood we just got the lesser of two very good players - no shame in that.

19. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

Also picked Correa. No GM is 100% right.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Mauer over Pryor was "depressing" as well and universally panned. That worked out pretty good for the Twins.