1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Appel over Bryant looking more depressing...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TMAC3, Mar 25, 2015.

1. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Cubs fans thank Luhnow most days for this. ;)

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

analyze individual scouting and personnel department folks on a yearly, every 2-3 years, and every 4 years. that's enough time for players to progress and determine who hit and missed and who recommended either. low performers gotta go. specifically is someone was dead set against Bryant for example, he should have already been fired.

it was an example because even a great scout will miss. so batting average was used to prove my point that if a scout hits more than he misses you should keep him. if a scout misses more than he hits then they gotta go. this applies to entire FO. FA signings hits/misses also apply.

Just hold FO, Scouting Dept., etc... accountable just like players are using an average since it's not exact. That was my only point.

#222 ipaman, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  3. raining threes

Why you want to make me sad with posts like this?

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

What if the guy dead-set against Bryant was also pro-Correa/LMJ?

How do you weigh these batting averages? Especially when it may take 5-7 years to really figure out a player's true return.

5. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Someone should make a "Taking Correa over Buxton looking more happier by the day" thread.

1 person likes this.
  6. ipaman

then they clearly got lucky and is not a good scout.

i said yearly and in 2-4 year increments, 5-7 is not much more.

you guys like scouts and the FO are above performance evaluation. that's crazy, everyone should be accountable all across the organization regardless of there area of expertise. every year, cut the 10% worst performers using weighted or running avgs.

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

How are you making that judgment? They got 1 right and 1 wrong, so the right one was lucky? Seems like it's worth considering more than 2 data points in that scenario rather than jumping to conclusions.

I think we all agree they should be evaluated. But I'm on the side that believes there's leeway and nuance to the job, and there are unpredictable circumstances to each and every player. You make risk/reward judgments, and inevitably, you can make all the right decisions and get screwed by the "baseball gods" or whatever multiple times.

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

You are profoundly ignorant on the baseball draft. I mean that in a good way. As in, you have room for a great deal of improvement.

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

So the big league team is in the midst of a huge tear, the future still looks really bright, and we have a GM that thus far has proven to be an extremely good judge of minor league talent overall. Yet we're still gonna dwell on the pick that was botched.

Some fans, and not just Astro fans

[​IMG]

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I said it earlier in the thread... more and more, it seems fans are fans so they can endlessly b**** about... something. Anything. I can't wrap my head around the appeal. It seems like a miserable way to approach something that is nothing more than an entertaining distraction.

11. Buck Turgidson

"Everything is amazing and nobody is happy."

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/akiVi1sR2rM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You don't think the Astros personnel have a yearly review of their front office, scouting, etc. departments?

Shoot, why wait until after the season. Cut Keuchel now. He is underperforming and compared to last year, has had one of the biggest performance drop offs in the major league.

#cutkeuchel

13. ipaman

no **** they probably do it which makes people coming at me even more laughable. i'm suggesting that people be held accountable over the LONG TERM just like players (using bat avg as an ex.) and everyone goes nuts, even labeling, attacking entire generations. then those same people going nuts, waving their fists, say the astros already do stuff like that. it's so unbelievable except it's not.

the worst part..., you guys complain about the "complainers" but y'alls complaining is much worse. your complaining about the complainers is full of lies, with entitled, whiny, arrogant, attitudes. for everyone one person "complaining" about the pick, we get 10x the complaining in the form of unfunny, mockish replies referencing the 1 "complaint." it's clear where the delusion really is and who the real problem is.

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

We're "complaining (?)" because your suggestions - none of which are particularly groundbreaking - are very obviously rooted in a single mistake that you seem incapable of moving on from, as if the Astros are the first organization to ever make a mistake in the always predictably easy drafting of players. Worse, it flies in the face of what has been a thoroughly incredible overhaul of a decrepit system, which is now among the best in baseball.

Sure, it'd be great to have Kris Bryant. Mike Trout, too. And man, if they had just selected Jeter instead of whatever catcher they took.... It's such a waste of time to constantly live in the past and wallow in mistakes.

The Astros are on an incredible tear; their three best players may very well be the best trio in all of baseball - they're certainly among the best. So why do you give a flying F about one of the thousands of botched draft picks every organization makes on a yearly basis?

You should be enjoying it while it lasts, man...

#234 Hey Now!, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

I think the person who signed Conrad Gregor should be publicly executed because Gregor is a 4th-round pick who isn't even hitting .200 in AA.

16. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

I'll never understand why people are so obsessed with the hindsight game, especially when it comes to drafting baseball players.

17. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

I'm also pretty sure that when evaluations of scouts/crosscheckers/et al. are being done, they look over their entire body of work, too.

I wonder if that's "long term" enough for ipaman.

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So, this is confusing. I ask what should be done. You say they should be reviewed on a regular basis. You then agree that they are reviewed on a regular basis.

You say they should be held accountable. How do you know they are not? The Astros aren't going to come out and say "we fired/reassigned the guy that blew the [insert draftee name here] pick".

And at the time of the draft, there was not one single organization that said the Astros made a horrible mistake by drafting Appel over Bryant. Hindsight is great.

The ultimate goal is to win a world series. To get there you have to establish a continuity of winning and performance throughout the organization. To get there, you have to make tons of decisions. Some will work, some won't. And, after a certain period of time, if things aren't working, those responsible WILL BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE.

19. Buck Turgidson

Of course.

Very.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

When I saw this thread, I was almost gonna ignore it. Don't need to comment on everything, but this comment was so preposterous I felt compelled to chime in with something.

You basically said they have to get everything correct, or else they aren't good. If they miss some, their hits must be dumb luck. And of course the assumption that the Astros aren't internally evaluating their employees is stupid to begin with.