1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Appears that Williams, May & Felton in 2005 Draft

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Mango, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

<a HREF="http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cbask/news/aen3859458.htm"> May, Felton and Marvin Williams declare for NBA Draft</a>

<i>
    Chapel Hill, NC (Sports Network) - Three more members of North Carolina's 2005 national championship team have decided to leave school early and enter the NBA Draft.

Center Sean May and guard Raymond Felton will each forego their final year of eligibility, while forward Marvin Williams departs after just one season with the Tar Heels.

May played in all 37 games for North Carolina (33-4) during the 2004-05 campaign, including 35 starts, and led the team in scoring and rebounding. He averaged 17.5 points and 10.7 boards per contest.

"Today is a day of mixed emotions for me," said May during a news conference Friday. "It's the ending of something great and the beginning of something new. I've had a wonderful career here. This year has been unbelievable."

In the national championship game versus Illinois, May earned MOP honors after scoring 26 points and grabbing 10 rebounds. The Tar Heels posted a 75-70 victory over the Fighting Illini to capture their fourth national title and first since 1993.

After the championship game, May initially said he would be coming back for his senior year, but eventually changed his mind.

"I had always felt I was a four-year player," May added. "I think there are some positives to coming back next year. I sat down with coach [Roy Williams] a couple days after we got back [from the Final Four]. He told me his thoughts about everything and got some information.

"I've said all along that if there's a chance that I could be a top-15 pick, it's something I just can't turn down."

Felton appeared in 36 games this past season, including 34 starts, and averaged 12.9 points and 6.9 assists per outing. He netted 17 points and handed out seven assists in the title contest versus Illinois.

"It's been wonderful," remarked Felton. "There's been a lot of great times, especially winning the national championship this year."

Williams enjoyed a stellar freshman campaign, as he posted averages of 11.3 points and 6.6 rebounds per contest.

"It's been such a blessing to play at this university," said Williams. "I want to thank the university for also giving me a chance to attend school here. I will be back to get my education, but I think it's just best for me and my family that I enter my name in the NBA Draft."

The trio joins guard Rashad McCants, who announced on April 13 that he would skip his final season at North Carolina and enter the NBA Draft, which takes place on June 28.

May, Felton and Williams have not yet signed with an agent and can return to school until they do so, although head coach Roy Williams said that won't be the case.

"These youngsters have made decisions they're going to the NBA. Now if the roof falls in right now and something happens, maybe they'll all come back," Williams joked, adding that he and the players have been in contact with agents. "We've already selected which agents we're going to interview. That's already been set."

Coach Williams is losing his top seven scorers from the championship team. In addition to the four early-entry candidates, Jawad Williams, Jackie Manuel and Melvin Scott have completed their eligibility, leaving forward David Noel as the leading returning scorer at 3.9 points per game.

"It's a hard day to be the basketball coach at North Carolina for our program," Williams added. "but it's a great day to be the head coach of these three youngsters. It's a fantastic day for them and that means it's a fantastic day for me. It is sad because I'm not going to have a chance to coach them anymore."

The early entry withdrawal deadline is June 21.

04/22 14:54:59 ET
    </i>

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

This is actually a good thing for the Rockets. I think we really have a shot at Simien or Warrick now, all three tar-heels are going to push the rankings back 3 spots (hopefully).

I really like our chances of picking up Simien or Warrick, I think they could both help us out.

3. Glide#22

Glide#22 Member

I would prefer Simien than Warrick.
    Warrick is not strong enough to play the 4 in NBA and has not the qualities to be a very good 3 (quickness, agility, jump shoot)
    I think that he just could be a good player coming from the bench to play minutes sometimes at the 3 and sometimes at the 4, but not a starter.
    Simien is a true PF, good offensive player, good rebounder and a strong player inside.

But my favorite player would be Shelden Williams ( Duke - 6'9 - 250 - Junior ), good body, good scorer (15.5 pts and 58.2 %), rebounder (11.2 rbd) and blocker (3.7 blks) for 33.6 min/games .
    With chance , he could still be available at our pick (24).
    But he has not declared yet i think.
    He make me thinking at Brand, with little less intensity.

4. lalala902102001

If Shelden Williams declares for the draft, he's going to be at worst a mid first rounder IMO. I don't think that he'll be on the board when we pick .

Besides, I don't think he's coming out this year.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Is Marvin Williams really a top 3 player? How bad will UNC be next season?

6. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

If he gets drafted top 3, it's based on potential. Let's face it, he came off the bench this year, and is now getting drafted top 3.

UNC? Pretty bad.. we'll get to see how good Roy is. Tyler Hans, and 2 other McDonalds All-Americans are coming in, but obviously they have big shoes to fill.

7. micah1j

micah1j Member

He is staying another year. http://goduke.collegesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/042505aaa.html