1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AP: Beltran wants 10 year deal

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Faos, Nov 4, 2004.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Way back when, the Astros signed Cesar Cedeno to a 10 year $2,000,000 deal. ($200,000 per year). It was a huge deal back then.

2. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Batting average means nothing. I thought I made that clear already. Second, I don't see too many 40/40 or even 30/30 guys hanging around MLB. Those guys are very rare as is, and when you add to it the fact Beltran does that while playing a premier defensive position at a gold glove level like A-Rod did when he came into FA, he is a rare player. People talk all the time of "5-tool players" as prospects, and 99% of the time things don't work out one way or the other. Beltran is the exception.

He is one of the 5 best young position players in the game, period. Right there with Vlad/A-Rod/Pujols as guys to build franchises around for the next decade. You do everything in your power to retain his services as the foundation for the future Astros. You can find hitters like Berkman or Ortiz a lot easier than you can find a guy like Beltran. And i'll i'm trying to say is if there is a slight money discrepancy or year discrepancy in negotiations, you don't pull out when dealing with a talent like this. The yankees get plenty of chances to get players of this caliber, teams like the Astros with the MLB economic structure, don't.

Lastly, I wanted him back close to this much when we made the trade, but a player with the all-around greatness that Beltran possesses is perfect for October because he can impact a game in so many ways. He may not hit .438 every postseason, but he will have a big, positive impact on games in october the rest of his career because even when his bat cools, he can save games with defense, or work a walk and steal his way into scoring position at ease.

Beltran will not be given a contract the caliber that A-Rod got anyway, it will be a few million more than vlad got and right around pujols's extension from STL. If the negotiations do get into the A-Rod money level, then yes, look elsewhere(beltre/drew/finley, etc) but I have no problem offering 150 million for 10 years if it gets his name on the bottom line if that is the only way. Sometimes you do things you don't normally do because of the situation. This is one of those cases. That's all I'm trying to say.

3. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Maybe that line of thinking is why your fantasy teams stink. ;)

Seriously, I want Beltran in a 'Stors uni, but not at the expense of the team's future. I agree Beltran is a player with alot to offer, a 5-tool-player, but if I am Drayton there is no way in hell I give him(or any player) $15/per season for the next 10 years. You don't make that kind of commitment to a player that will be 38 when the contract expires. 6-7 years maybe even for more money, then if he is still performing at a high level, extend it, but the team needs to limit their own risk.

4. fya

fya Member

Give it to him or the cubs WILL.

5. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Anybody get the

ESPN RUMOR : YANKEES WANTS BELTRAN TO PLAY CENTERFIELD

6. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

:eek: My how things change.

7. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

And guess what. It's time for the Astros to do it again.

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yeah, but I don't think Beltran will take 10 years for 2 million. :)