1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AP article on Knicks game.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xomox, Nov 10, 2006.

1. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2006111010
    yao hit the weights right after the game. wow. :eek:

Houston 103, New York 94

Preview - Box Score - Recap

By CHRIS DUNCAN, AP Sports Writer
    November 11, 2006

AP - Nov 10, 11:27 pm EST
    More Photos

HOUSTON (AP) -- Dunks, layups and turnaround jumpers on one end, blocked shots and rebounds at the other.

Yao Ming did it all on Friday night, scoring 35 points, grabbing 17 boards and matching a career high with seven blocks in the Houston Rockets' 103-94 victory over the New York Knicks.

"Coach (Jeff Van Gundy) has told me there are two things that if you do them well, you play well. One of them is rebound, the other is block shots," Yao said. "I think he just wants me to have more energy on the defensive side."

He still had some left over after the game. After playing 38 minutes, Yao headed straight to the weight room in anticipation of Sunday's meeting with Shaquille O'Neal and the Miami Heat.

"I've got another big guy coming," Yao said. "I want to be ready for him."

ADVERTISEMENT

Yao's postgame detour didn't surprise teammate Shane Battier.

"He's a worker," Battier said. "He's the first one at practice every day and he's one of the last ones to leave. A player does not become dominant like he is becoming by watching highlights on ESPN."

Yao hit 15 of 21 shots and also had a steal and two assists as the Rockets beat the Knicks for the fourth straight time.

Tracy McGrady and Rafer Alston scored 13 points apiece for the Rockets, who shot 55 percent (40-of-73) and outrebounded New York 45-33.

McGrady went 4-for-12 and had eight assists, but the six-time All-Star realizes even he's in a supporting role when Yao plays like this.

"It's crazy to me," McGrady said. "If I go out and have a subpar game and I don't shoot the ball well or play well and I get 13 points, every team I've been on, we're going to lose that game.

"The role is kind of reversed now. I'm the distributor and I like that role."

AP - Nov 10, 11:26 pm EST
    More Photos

McGrady can't wait to see how Yao performs on Sunday -- and even gave Shaq some bulletin-board material to ponder.

"I don't care who you try to match up against him, I don't care who you say is the most dominant," McGrady said. "No. 11 on my team, hands down, is the best center in the league."

Stephon Marbury scored 22 points, Jamal Crawford had 18 and Quentin Richardson added 16 for the Knicks.

Eddy Curry, outmuscled by Yao most of the night, went 2-for-11 from the field and scored seven points with five rebounds.

"Oh, man, it was bad out there," Curry said. "But you've got to give credit to Yao. He played me great."

Yao hit five of his first seven shots, dominating Curry from the start with baseline jumpers and quick drives. He blocked a shot by Curry at the other end, then took a pass from Alston for an easy dunk to give Houston a 12-4 lead.

The Knicks missed 11 of their first 17 shots, enabling the Rockets to keep the lead despite an 0-for-5 start by McGrady. He came into the game averaging 19.6 points, but shooting only 40.5 percent from the field.

Yao cooled off, but remained a force on defense, blocking five shots -- four by Curry -- in the first half. Yao had 18 points and seven rebounds at the break.

"He's never been that active," Curry said. "Man, playoff form, All-Star form, I don't know. I've never seen Yao like that."

Yao hit a turnaround jumper and a hook shot, then drove past Curry for a layup during a 14-4 Houston run to open the second half. McGrady finished the spurt with a 3-pointer from the top of the key to put the Rockets up 68-50.

AP - Nov 10, 11:24 pm EST
    More Photos

The Knicks rallied from 12 down with eight minutes left to beat Denver on Wednesday and trimmed a 19-point Houston lead to 10 early in the fourth quarter Friday.

New York coach Isiah Thomas went to a small lineup and tried 6-foot-8 rookie Renaldo Balkman on Yao. Balkman got a steal from Yao on one possession, but Yao had an easy lay-in on the Rockets' next trip down the floor to put Houston up 87-75.

"When they keep changing and putting different men on me," Yao said, "that makes me feel like I'm having success."

The Knicks twice got within eight, but Luther Head and then Alston sank answering 3-pointers to keep New York at bay.

Nate Robinson, at 5-foot-9, dunked off a missed shot and Marbury buried a 3-pointer to cut Houston's lead to 99-93 with a 1:15 to go.

Thomas is encouraged by the way his team is finishing games.

"I am really proud of how hard we fight and I told my players that," he said. "Right now, we don't need to focus on losses because if we keep playing hard, we are going to get better as the season goes on."

This time, the Rockets held them off.

McGrady coolly sank two free throws and Yao added two more in the final minute.

Notes

New York's Steve Francis sat out for the second straight game with a sprained left ankle. Francis played for the Rockets from 1999-04. He and Yao embraced at midcourt when the game ended. ... McGrady banked in an off-balance 3-pointer off with 1.1 seconds left in the first half to give the Rockets a 54-46 lead. ... The Rockets' four-game win streak over the Knicks is their longest in the 119-game history of the series. ... The Rockets have outrebounded their last four opponents by 10 or more.

Updated on Saturday, Nov 11, 2006

2. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

Someone needs to tell Yao the roids will make his pee pee smaller

3. Tango

Tango Contributing Member

Yao just impresses the heck out of me with his work ethic.

4. xomox

you sound like that other poster who's obsessed with yao's package size.

5. jcee15

Im not commenting on his penis size as is jackass.....Im saying that someone needs to tell Yao that it will be reduced in size.there u happy

6. YallMean

YallMean Member

McGrady can't wait to see how Yao performs on Sunday -- and even gave Shaq some bulletin-board material to ponder.

"I don't care who you try to match up against him, I don't care who you say is the most dominant," McGrady said. "No. 11 on my team, hands down, is the best center in the league."

Loving it. :D :D :D

7. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Who or what are the 'roids' ?

8. xomox

ok. wasn't trying to take a shot at you although i guess it did sound that way. my apologies.

9. teetime

teetime Member

Yao must be on steriod. Look at the numbers he's putting up :D

Nice AP article , thanks for sharing.

10. YaozaMac

YaozaMac Member

steroids :rolleyes: :p

11. YaozaMac

YaozaMac Member

:D Go Yao:

"He's never been that active," Curry said. "Man, playoff form, All-Star form, I don't know. I've never seen Yao like that."

Yao hit a turnaround jumper and a hook shot, then drove past Curry for a layup during a 14-4 Houston run to open the second half. :eek:

12. jcee15

Exactly then lifting weights after a monster game is the exact opposite of the publics' perception of him is. I have always thought yao had this in him, it was just a matter of adjusting to the NBA game/grind.

13. jcee15

No worries mate.

14. jcee15

My favorite Curry comment was when he said Yao was 2 feeet above his outstrecthed arms on his jumpers.....Get 'em big fella

15. THEDREAMSHAKE34

16. jcee15

I dont think Shaq is gonna play Sunday.I wish he was though against the playoff form Yao.

17. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

why wouldnt shaq play sunday? he played tonight. if he sits out sunday that means he's wussing out :p

18. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Although Yao hinted on getting ready for the matchup with Shap on Sunday, it is not the reason he lifts weights after most/all home games. This has been his routine for over a year and it has little to no bearing on who the next opponent will be.

Associated Press just took his words and assumed that this post game lifting is for Shaq. I say this because many around the world will read this and get it all misplaced/misinformed.

19. xomox

the press has a bad habit of doing that sort of thing, don't they?

20. teetime

teetime Member

I know what you are saying. But I think Yao usually get psyche up when playing Shaq , that is also a known fact ;) By now, Shaq and Yao should have mutal respect for each other, I'm sure Yao is doing extra reps on the weights tonite to be ready for another showdown with his best matchup opponent :cool: