1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone getting in line for Tesla Model 3?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CXbby, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

We will see what the range of the Bolt is vs the base model Tesla though as the Tesla will likely have options available for greater range. I think Chevy and Chrystler make POS though.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Base of Bolt is 107 miles I believe.

DD

3. Bandwagoner

4. CXbby

CXbby Member

The media has pinned the Bolt and Model 3 as competitors because they are both supposed to be 200 mile pure EVs that sell for roughly $30k. We know what the Bolt looks like and some of its other specs. If the Model 3 is anything like it, the car and the company will become huge flops.

However, if the Model 3 is anything like I(and those reserving on 3/31 sight unseen) think it will be like, it would render the Bolt obsolete before the first ones are even built.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

6. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I am not caucasian and nor was the environment the sole reason for me to get my Model S.

I got it cause its made in the good ole USA and I personally think its ****in sexy! I've had it for 2.5 years now and am absolutely happy with it. Every time I get in the car I am happy to be driving it and don't really see myself going back to gasoline ever.

1 person likes this.
  7. R0ckets03

Also a model S owner here. Have you heard anything about us getting preference to purchase the Model 3 before its released to the general public?

8. Bandwagoner

Do you plan to buy the base model or will option for longer range?

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

I plan on adding the Autopilot option(currently $3000 option for Model S), and Supercharger access if that is an option(could be offered for free). The 200 mile base range is fine for me especially paired with the Supercharger network.

10. Swishh

Swishh Member

Any idea if the online pre order going to be hectic?

11. Swishh

Swishh Member

Sorry for the double post, but does anyone also know if there is a state incentive on top of the federal tax credit for California?

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yes Model S and X owners will be given priority and from what I read Tesla will contact you by email or phone to see if you are interested in the Model 3.

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Right... my comment wasn't "every" Tesla owner... and was to an extent hyperbole. But still, the Tesla demographics generally support my comment:

http://techcrunch.com/2014/10/10/el...alf-a-million-teslas-by-the-end-of-next-year/

^ old, and probably diversifying a bit more, but likely still on point.

perhaps the model 3 changes all that.

I personally do not like the look - the exterior stylings. I did at first, but it aged VERY quickly for me. I still can't tell with 100% certainty if it is a Model S or a Ford Fusion sometimes. I've seen the model X in person multiple times (as there is one in my neighborhood) and find it to be a pretty bad exterior design. Eg... ugle. But that's just opinion.

Anyway... all that said, your comment still confuses me in that your purchasing decisions wasn't that focused on the environment, but you won't go back to gasoline. What have you learned since buying that has you now locked in permanently as a electric vehicle only consumer? Or is it just brand loyalty?

14. CXbby

CXbby Member

CA provides $2,500 in state incentives. Various utilities throughout the state also offer discounted rates for residential vehicle charging during off-peak hours. Clean Air Vehicle Decals for carpool lane access are also available for BEVs and PHEVs.

15. Swishh

Swishh Member

Wow, so basically I get the $2500 CA state incentive + the $7500 federal tax incentive? That'd make it 25K for me, which is great.

Also since you created the thread, you probably know more about it - but are the online pre orders expected to be hard to get?

16. CXbby

CXbby Member

Anyone can get the online preorder, they don't run out. However, how early you preorder determines your place in the queue, which will determine how early/late you receive your car. And how early/late you receive your car can potentially determine whether you are eligible for the federal tax credit or not(it will likely expire in mid/late 2018).

So if you preorder online at 8:30 PM central on 3/31 when the site first opens, you will be ahead of everyone else who orders afterwards and receive your car before them. But the people who preorder at 10am in the store that day will get their car before people who preorder online. Whether you are eligible for the incentive or not depends on how many people order before you.

The federal incentive will start to expire once Tesla delivers 200k cars in the US. This should hit around early to mid 2018. Once that line is crossed, people will still be eligible for the full tax credit for 3 months, then half the credit for 6 months, then a quarter of the credit for 6 months, then zero.

The first Model 3s are set to be delivered late 2017. It is unclear how many will be delivered between then and mid 2018 when the incentives will start to expire. This is why some are planning to camp out/line up at the stores to be the first to preorder. Another reason is if there are 100k preorders before you, you might not see your car until 2019 or perhaps 2020.

#76 CXbby, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  17. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

You can get one whether you preorder in store or online or just wait until launch date. The problem is they are delivering in the order received and there is a 200k car per manufacturer limit on getting that 7.5k federal tax credit. Once the manufacturer gets to that limit the credit begins to phase out. The credit reduces to 50% the first half of the first year they hit the limit, then 25% in the second half of that year.

18. Swishh

Swishh Member

Got it, thanks. I just don't wanna deal with long lines at the store so I think I'd take my chance with pre ordering online when available.

And just to get further clarification, the CA incentive of $2500 is able to be used along with the $7500 fed tax, correct?

19. R0ckets03

My apologies if I my post sounded like an attack...it wasn't meant to be.

My two main considerations when I started looking at cars 3 years ago were - American made and good looking and 4 door sedan. Not too many to choose from with that criteria.

Since getting it, I'm glad its environmentally friendly. Its definitely a bonus. Not filling up and wasting money on gas has been amazing! And then their is the simple acceleration and driveability of an electric car that will be hard to beat by any gasoline powered car.

Brand loyalty also plays somewhat to it. Its been great having to spend pretty much zero on maintenance in the 2.5 years I've had it. The few times I've had to get in touch with customer service, their service has been excellent as well!

20. Bandwagoner

What cars have you owned in the past.