1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone catch the CBS show before Big Brother...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Bigman, Sep 18, 2001.

1. Bigman

Bigman Member

Dan Rather had Mike Wallace on and discussed a 5 year old interview that Mike had with Sen Sam Nunn regarding the possibility of a terrorist attack using Anthrax. Appearantly anthrax has been very available to those who want it. Saddam has a bunch of it and Bin Laden has experimented with it. The thing is that you don't need to hijack a plane to administer it. All you have to do is have a cannister, say about the size of a fire extenguisher, and let that stuff loose. That much could kill about 400,000 people. This is some scary ****. I know I've always dismissed the warnings in the past as being paranoid but this is what our country could possibly face. We've been warned by the radicals that if we attack we'll face even graver consequences. We've also been warned by our president that this 'war' will be a costly war and to be prepared for American casualties. I hope that this is not what he was implying. Perhaps this is the opportunity to tackle the terrorist threat and get a handle on this situation. After seeing that report the realization set in that this could very well happen. Especially after we retaliate. Hopefully, I'm being paranoid but I'm afraid I have just cause. Anyone else catch that report?

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

There are several biological agents that are relatively cheap and accessible and not to difficult for these terrorists to administer.....many of us here in NYC are very concerned :(

3. Bigman

Bigman Member

This threat seems way more frightening than the threat of nukes during the cold war. During the cold war I always held on to the thought that nobody sane could actually pull the trigger. Today we are dealing with people who I wouldn't exactly consider sane. Actually more brainwashed than anything. Now that's scary in itself....someone sane and believing in what they're doing. Ever try arguing with someone who believes they are right? Lol…

There has been much said about preserving our rights in regards to these attacks. But how far would you be willing to go to insure that NOTHING gets through the cracks. This could mean that Arab Americans, Islamic people, or people of Middle Eastern decent are watched more carefully. The cell phone lines, or even the land phone lines monitored more closely. Emails examined. We already know the CIA and intelligence communities will be beefed up considerably. I know it would suck but at the cost of security?!!…. Man that’s a b**** of a question!!!! Hell, some could argue that is what our government has always wanted. More control. I personally don’t buy that. I’m wrestling with the question of having to give up something to get something.

4. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Are you saying that by not retaliating we are free of that threat?

Hmmm....

Maybe we should just negotiate a surrender to the terrorists right now, then we wouldn't have to worry anymore. :rolleyes:

5. treeman

treeman Member

I've actually studied bioterrorism, and I can say that if we see an attack (or I should say, when we see an attack), it will be far more devastating than what we've just seen. It will be different though. For starters, we won't know we've been attacked. The first signal we'll get is when the hospitals start filling up. Even then, the doctors will probably think it's a flu and just send people home (and spread it even more). Then people will start dying en masse... And then it will be too late.

Casualty estimates for an anthrax attack in a major US city can run as low as 10,000 to as high as a million or more, depending upon such factors as initial quantity used, population density, mortality rates and incubation periods for the particular strain, etc...

The CIA is disturbed by recent (in the past few months) of seeing an abnormal abundance of dead animals around bin Laden's camps. Cuncurrent with those reports are other reports that Saddam may have given him samples of anthrax and botulinum toxin as well as what our CDC would call Level 2 clean facilities (with which to work with the diseases). All he would need in addition to that is a couple of vats of the type you brew beer in.

I fear we ain't seen nothin' yet.

6. treeman

treeman Member

Oh, I forgot to add that there is an unconfirmed report that bin Laden may have acquired 20 backpack nukes from the Chechens for $30 million. I'm not sure about this, because I feel that if the Chechens had them they'd use them against the Russians, but there it is...

And as for the idea that they'd use these weapons only after we retaliate, don't fool yourself. They're going to use them (or try to) regardless of what we do. That is why it is absolutely imperative that we neutralize them before they have a chance to use them.

7. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

I have heard from many knowledgable sources (ie not 60 minutes or other "news" program) that the threats from chemical and biological attacks are veyy much overhyped. All of the systems have potential to cause massive harm but their practicality is very much in doubt. The delivery for all of these systems is, simply put, far from trivial.

Here is one link I found after just a bit of looking. I'll post more if I find any. Check it out, it's pretty imformative...

http://nov55.com/biow.html

8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Definitely informative, if this guy knows his stuff . If he's right, we have alot less to fear from bios than we realized. What other bios are there other than those? Nerve gases maybe?

I think I'm more afraid of a bomb or planpedo hittin the channel industries..:(

9. Bigman

Bigman Member

That's a pretty biased website. Kind of an anti-government site. I hope what was written is closer to the truth. But the truth is probably somewhere in-between, which still is enough of a threat for me.

10. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

That guy's site is incredibly interesting. Reading his bio was intriguing as well -- he reminds me of the guy from the movie Pi.

11. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I have my doubts about these biological weapons. Why are bin Laden and the other terrorist groups using bombs and planes so much if these biological weapons are so devastating? I think it might be overhyped. It's kind of telling that people are worried about biological weapons, and their danger is hyped, yet the terrorist are spending months preparing for a tough assignment like hijacking instead of using something that is supposed to wipe out half a million people. Wouldn't that be more devastating then suicide bombings?

12. Bigman

Bigman Member

Interesting, definitely, but he said that the purpose of this intentional misinformation is to acheive a military state. Here's a tidbit from that site.

"Propaganda on biological weapons including anthrax originates in the dark cellars of government for the purpose of swaying the public for increased police powers. A terrorist threat is hyped or contrived, while military research on contagious diseases is concealed"

I wonder if this was written before or after these recent events.

13. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

lol, I actually did notice that after my post. He does seem to be a bit of an oddball. I have heard before that most scientists consider these weapons impracticle, though (I actually have a BS in biochem and a minor in biology so I know quite a few scientific faculty). I'm still gonna look for more info...