1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anybody feel this way?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Liberon, Jul 16, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I feel that, no matter what big man comes into the league, if he's not Dirk-like, he's already obsolete. It's helper bigs that come into the league these days not the definitive impossible to defend big that makes even star perimeters nearly obselete if you surround him with the right pieces. Whatever is was available in this years draft and next is just something to yawn at for me. Dirk's defense was pretty good too this year.

2. YaosDirtyStache

I really had a hard time making out what you were trying to say in that run-on laden paragraph.

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Don't drink and post, kids.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Dwight Howard was just in the finals two seasons ago. the rarity of good back to basket big men makes a good one more rare than his weight in gold.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Donatas Motiejūnas.

That is all.

1 person likes this.
  6. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

7. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Kevin Garnett could destroy Dirk. Why are people making such bizarr posts these days? Hayes vs. Barkley, and now this.

8. Zackery

Zackery Member

Huh????

All I got from this post was, "I feel that, ... Dirk's defense was pretty good too this year."

:confused:

9. Chris Jent MVP

yes. you're the only one.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

11. Mr. Clutch

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

13. Audioout

Audioout Member

I agree....what?

14. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Actually, I think there are too many bigs who come into the NBA trying to be like Dirk or KG. In other words, too many jump shooting big men who never learned to be physical or have a post up game. That's ok when you are a transcendent shooter like Dirk, who also then learns to play inside and become an all- around player. Or if you are a sensational defender and all-around player like KG.

The problem is jump shooting big men who are only average shooters and are too afraid or unskilled to go inside. That's why undersized, poor rebounding power forwards like Big Baby and Carl Landry are successful in the NBA, because they actually can play offensively like true big men. You can give them the ball in the paint, and they know how to score with their backs to the basket.

I actually think Dirk Nowitzki is an anomaly more than the new standard for big men.

1 person likes this.
  15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

very strange post. do people really think this way?

16. Mr. Clutch

People overrate the most recent champions.

If Miami had won, it would have been "nobody can win without 3 superstars."

If Chicago had won, it would have been "you absolutely need great D and a great PG."

If Orlando had won, it would have been "you need a traditional big man to win."

Instead, we get...this.

1 person likes this.
  17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I'll try...

Does that mean Andrea Bargnani is RELEVANT because he IS Dirk-like? :confused:

I think you're saying that its role playing complimentary big men like Kendrick Perkins that you can realistically expect. NOT the big man you can build a team AROUND. Or not the dominators like Shaq and Tim Duncan who can CARRY a team all by themselves without help of good perimeter players.

I'll say thats PARTLY true. Yes there arent those kind of big men. Besides Dwight Howard, its Andrew Bynum, Greg Oden and Demarcus Cousins that are considered "franchise centers". 30 years ago they'd be just the 15th best at their positions.

But when you look at past title winners, most all those teams had BOTH a star swingman AND big man. (Thats why the McGrady/Yao combo was the historically correct approach, and the most disappointing.)

Might be a cleverly disguised Make Dirk Transcendent campaign here :eek:

Dirk is considered ATYPICAL & unique. and NOT the standard "big man template" to follow. So you kinda answered your own question...

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/T6MCRNjG5_k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

This is the same guy who called Yao Ming mentally r****ded.

20. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I thought the ADHD Serial Killer on yo @$$ comment was a pretty funny come back. Why'd they take it out? ADHD or ADD is very common, hell I have it and am proud to make fun of myself. :grin: Okay life was very hard growing up especially in school... They ****ing thought I had a hearing problem the whole time..